How am I looking as of now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brandonh131

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in my second year at a university and have 53 credits. So I am 3 credits short of a junior. I have a 3.7 my first year at ou taking 41 credit (fall winter and summer) and came in with 12 credits from dual enrollment. Pace wise, I'm not worried. My dream is to get into medical school. How likely is that...For extra curricular, I have 150 volunteering at a hospital. I just got accepted into an emergency medicine apprenticeship at the hospital. I'm involved with my family church. On the board of two different organizations at the university along with being involved with various other orgs. This semester, I am also taking part in research with a professor. I plan on finishing the recommended mcat classes and studying all summer to take it in the fall of next year.

All in all, how am I looking? What are my odds of getting into med school (MD)...besides the Caribbean...

Also, If you had any advice, it would be highly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently in my second year at a university and have 53 credits. So I am 3 credits short of a junior. I have a 3.7 my first year at ou taking 41 credit (fall winter and summer) and came in with 12 credits from dual enrollment. Pace wise, I'm not worried. My dream is to get into medical school. How likely is that...For extra curricular, I have 150 volunteering at a hospital. I just got accepted into an emergency medicine apprenticeship at the hospital. I'm involved with my family church. On the board of two different organizations at the university along with being involved with various other orgs. This semester, I am also taking part in research with a professor. I plan on finishing the recommended mcat classes and studying all summer to take it in the fall of next year.

All in all, how am I looking? What are my odds of getting into med school (MD)...besides the Caribbean...

Also, If you had any advice, it would be highly appreciated.
So far your GPA and ECs are coming along nicely. You can see historic odds of acceptance depending on GPA, MCAT, and race in sector9's first stickied thread at the top of this forum.

Advice:
Keep your GPA high. Take challenging courses, but don't overestimate your ability.

Get involved in some nonmedical community service that helps the poor of your community.

Make sure your leadership makes a difference, besides manifesting as filling a seat and casting a vote at a board meeting.

Teaching is an experience that benefits a med school application. This includes mentoring, coaching, TA, tutor, etc.

Gain the trust of your research PI so that you are eventually allowed some creative control.

Keep in mind the need for supportive Letters of Recommendation and get to know your professors and PI well.

Don't forget to do some formal shadowing beyond ER docs. Particularly, try to shadow some primary care docs so as to get a view of longetudinal care.