How am I scoring lower on the AAMC FL than Kaplan and TPR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tj123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took my first AAMC FL and now I'm freaking out because I scored a 496. I only have a month left to study and I expected to get around a 508-510 on this! I've been scoring around 500 Kaplan and TPR FLS...
What does this mean? Should I not take the test??

Members don't see this ad.

1 month to study is still a lot of time. I was only scoring 495-502 one month out and ended up getting a 513 on the real thing. What I did that really helped me was instead of re-reviewing my Kaplan review books, I bought Exam Krackers full set of study materials. I found that reviewing the material in a slightly different format and order helped the material really stick. Good luck!
Did you practice with examkrackers? How did you leap 13 points in 1 month? It couldn't have been just pure content yea?

1 month to study is still a lot of time. I was only scoring 495-502 one month out and ended up getting a 513 on the real thing. What I did that really helped me was instead of re-reviewing my Kaplan review books, I bought Exam Krackers full set of study materials. I found that reviewing the material in a slightly different format and order helped the material really stick. Good luck!
So you just did a lot of problems?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you practice with examkrackers? How did you leap 13 points in 1 month? It couldn't have been just pure content yea?

So you just did a lot of problems?

Yea, I liked the way examkrackers were formatted. They had quick 30-minute exam-type questions with passages after each chapter, so I would just skip the chapters since I did all my content review with Kaplan's books and then did all of the questions. I also thought that examkracker questions were more difficult than either Kaplan or the real MCAT exam, so practicing with those really gave me a boost at the end.

Yea, I liked the way examkrackers were formatted. They had quick 30-minute exam-type questions with passages after each chapter, so I would just skip the chapters since I did all my content review with Kaplan's books and then did all of the questions. I also thought that examkracker questions were more difficult than either Kaplan or the real MCAT exam, so practicing with those really gave me a boost at the end.
Did you use Qbanks or section packs?

I just took my first AAMC FL and now I'm freaking out because I scored a 496. I only have a month left to study and I expected to get around a 508-510 on this! I've been scoring around 500 Kaplan and TPR FLS...
What does this mean? Should I not take the test??

I assume that was AAMC Scored 1? If you decide not to reschedule, I would study like crazy until the last day to postpone the test, then take AAMC Scored 2. If you aren't well into the zone you need to be by then you can reschedule at that time.

I assume that was AAMC Scored 1? If you decide not to reschedule, I would study like crazy until the last day to postpone the test, then take AAMC Scored 2. If you aren't well into the zone you need to be by then you can reschedule at that time.
Yes, it was FL1. I plan on doing the Q packs and section banks before taking the second FL. I'm just not sure if that score means I don't know the content (which I thought I did) or if I need to get faster/better at interpreting the passages. I'm not sure how to adjust my studying, because obviously what I was doing isn't working.

Yes, it was FL1. I plan on doing the Q packs and section banks before taking the second FL. I'm just not sure if that score means I don't know the content (which I thought I did) or if I need to get faster/better at interpreting the passages. I'm not sure how to adjust my studying, because obviously what I was doing isn't working.

For what it is worth, I RARELY think the PRIMARY problem for any student is content. The problem is dealing with the passage-based, critical and experimental reasoning the MCAT requires. If there were simple, straightforward questions on scored AAMC 1 that you missed solely because you forgot a memorized fact, then that's easy--you MIGHT get one more point if you go back and learn that content. BUT, your next FLE or the actual exam won't ask THAT piece of content, it will ask a DIFFERENT piece of content, so you probably won't get that point anyway. Only about 10% of the questions are really answerable based on content mastery alone. Rather, a solid, basic, conceptual understanding of the sciences allows you to "speak the language" of the exam. It makes sure that you have some clue what they are talking about, but THEN the real work begins... as you have to skillfully evaluate each answer choice, make predictions, decide which options violate basic science, reason about why a researcher used a certain tool or step in an experiment, read a complicated graph, or decipher a dense paragraph describing a signalling pathway....and it is the synthesis of those things that allows you to actually answer most AAMC questions confidently.

Content review is overemphasized here on SDN, to the students' detriment. Similarly, content review is often frontloaded in a counterproductive way: "Study content for months and months using one of the study plans posted on SDN and then FINALLY get around to taking full-length exams in the final weeks/month before your test date. I believe it is harmful to separate full-length practice and content review into mutually exclusive study phases. I suggest a nearly 18o degree switch from that approach: Begin with real AAMC questions (SB is good) to familiarize yourself with what is required of you, take one Full-Length exam every 3-4 weeks, analyzing the crap out of it (spending 2-3x as long reviewing/analyzing an FLE as you spent taking it), allow the RESULTS from those FLEs to dictate which content you study, repeat for at least 2-3 months, then take and analyze 2-3 exams per week during the final month. This focuses you on the skills you actually need to score well, rather than wandering in the desert of content review for months and then facing harsh realities when you start taking full-length exams.

Reactions: 2 users
I bought the entire study package that had all of the books in it (6 total if i remember right?)
Did you find that content was an issue? I've looked around and some people say that <70% correct indicates lack of content understanding. I'm not sure I agree with this but wanted to see what your experience was when you were in my shoes!

Hi, I am currently in the same boat. My kaplan scores have ranged from 497 - 501. I took the aamc scored and did horrible on cars and physics section. I scored overall a 495 which is even lower than the 499 I scored on the real mcat in 2015. I am wondering if maybe aamc fl#1 may be a bit tougher than the real one. Any thoughts from anyone?

Hi, I am currently in the same boat. My kaplan scores have ranged from 497 - 501. I took the aamc scored and did horrible on cars and physics section. I scored overall a 495 which is even lower than the 499 I scored on the real mcat in 2015. I am wondering if maybe aamc fl#1 may be a bit tougher than the real one. Any thoughts from anyone?
From what I've read and IMO (having taken a few Kaplan tests), Kaplan and TPR are much more content focused than AAMC material. 497-501 in Kaplan is actually pretty promising; however, it appears you may need to work on your critical analysis skills. Altius tests are honestly the most passage/graph interpretation heavy tests I've taken, so maybe try one of those.

Reactions: 1 users
Trust me, it can get better!! Do the AAMC section bank and buy EK 101 biomolecules and EK 101 biochem. Those helped me with reasoning. I was scoring around 500 on TPR and Kaplan tests and scored lower than that on the first fl. After I did the materials i mentioned I scored 506 on a NS exam and ~508 on the sample AAMC. For me, it was just switching formatting because AAMC has some pretty prevalent stuff on their tests that aren't on Kaplan.

Reactions: 1 users
Trust me, it can get better!! Do the AAMC section bank and buy EK 101 biomolecules and EK 101 biochem. Those helped me with reasoning. I was scoring around 500 on TPR and Kaplan tests and scored lower than that on the first fl. After I did the materials i mentioned I scored 506 on a NS exam and ~508 on the sample AAMC. For me, it was just switching formatting because AAMC has some pretty prevalent stuff on their tests that aren't on Kaplan.

Agree!! The new EK 101 books are tough, but amazing it terms of their presentation. It draws on that fine line of knowing the basics, presenting it in a hardcore multi-pathway molecular /biochem beast but can be interpreted all from the information presented without having to draw ridiculous previous knowledge.

Did you buy the physics one? I am getting destroyed with that one -___-

Reactions: 1 user
If you guys have any suggestion on CARS, I'm all ears! That sh8t got me f**ked up and all over the place.

Well Im glad to know that you were able to overcome the issue. COngrats, do you have your actual score already? The AAMC section banks is the 9 hr assignment right? and do you have any suggestions as to how to do them, timed, not timed, viewing solutions immediately after answering ect... I have my mcat this friday and not sure how much I can do. How long did it take you to go through the section banks and see an improvement in your score?

Hello, for anyone who is having trouble with learning the content I have a few suggestions. Although, take my words with a grain of salt as I have not taken the actual mcat yet, I am taking it this saturday coming up. For me, I felt like studying from the kaplan books were overall pretty helpful, however the verbal reasoning, research and math book by examkrackers was SUPER helpful. I would suggest you get that book if you are someone who hasn't done much research outside of school just like me, it goes over a lot of the skills needed to read the passages and go through experimental data.

For the content, I first went through the kaplan books alongside Khan academy at the same time. I CANNOT STRESS IT ENOUGH watch the khan academy videos as you read along in the content books. Not only is it a good way to mix up the way you study, but for many students hearing, seeing and reading about a topic is much more efficient than plain reading and taking notes. However, with that being said I would advise to watching the videos at a quicker speed as they do take forever to get through (especially if its Sal teaching). And make sure to only watch the topics you don't quite understand and keep getting wrong on practice problems and practice fl's as those are the areas you need the most help. There are also some of the high yield topics that are worth watching once over on khan academy as it will bolster your understanding.

I myself have averaged 508 on the NS fl's and got a 514 on the aamc fl 1. Haven't taken the second fl by aamc yet, but plan to sometime this week. I know it isn't anything amazing, however I am just a normal student who works hard and this technique has worked best for me so I hope it can help others as well. I started off with a 495 on TPR in march and have studied with kaplan and khanacademy since. Good luck to everyone!