How are applicants ranked

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
BKN,

Thanks for that insight.

You mentioned that programs rank as many as 10 applicants per seat. How much does that vary from program to program. Do Hopkins, and Mayos of the world rank in similar numbers as well? I heard that some programs take pride in ranking very few applicants vis.a.vis the number of available seats.

Members don't see this ad.

dodo2 said:
BKN,

Thanks for that insight.

You mentioned that programs rank as many as 10 applicants per seat. How much does that vary from program to program. Do Hopkins, and Mayos of the world rank in similar numbers as well? I heard that some programs take pride in ranking very few applicants vis.a.vis the number of available seats.

Happy to help. Actually I said that the average successful program ranks 10 per seat. Some may rank more. As for the pride thing, it's a risky business. I'm afraid I'm guilty. For many years we kept the no of interviews low to make our life easy and save applicants money and time. Our goal was just enough. Then one year we nearly went all the way down the list. We're doing more now.

I don't know about other programs. You imply that the Hop and Mayo are more competitive. It depends on the specialty.

dodo2 said:
You mentioned that programs rank as many as 10 applicants per seat. How much does that vary from program to program. Do Hopkins, and Mayos of the world rank in similar numbers as well?
Who knows. Unless you hear it from the horses' mouths, anything that is said on this matter is hearsay and can be a load of bunk...that's just a warning. A lot of things get said around here like it's gospel but I suspect much of it is unfounded.
I heard that some programs take pride in ranking very few applicants vis.a.vis the number of available seats.
Some programs seem to take pride in saying, "we filled our residency slots by only going down a certain number." which is basically a way to gloat about being able to get who they wanted. However, a subset of these programs will try to illegally influence and manipulate the Match process by pressuring applicants. One program last year told me, "this is how things are going to work...if you want to come here, let us know...if you don't let us know, you will not likely be ranked to match...last year we only went 5 people down our rank list to fill our 5 positions."

That being said, it is only to the programs' benefit to put an excessive number of people on their rank list. This best ensures that they will fill come Match Day. However, you really can't predict how this will affect you since they won't tell you where you are on their rank list. You just have to rank programs based on how you like them, wait, sit, pray, drink a beer, and come match day, hope for the best.

So for this ranking - does this mean that if a place has 8 spots, they will rank 80 applicants/interviewees?

Edit: And what would the chances REALLY BE that a program went 80 deep to fill spots?

Poety said:
So for this ranking - does this mean that if a place has 8 spots, they will rank 80 applicants/interviewees?
Every place differs. However, at our program, we interview almost 100 people for 9-10 spots. Assuming that we rank every interviewee who visits, that fulfills the 10:1 ratio mentioned previously. Of course, this may not be the case since surely there are a few applicants who we really dislike and will not rank at all.
Edit: And what would the chances REALLY BE that a program went 80 deep to fill spots?
It is certainly conceivable. But who knows how often this happens. Depends on the place and the applicant pool in a given year, I guess.

Poety said:

They may not have the choice. Your specialty has to be competitive to get that many interviewees. Plus, like me a couple of years ago, they may not know how close to cut it (I think we ranked 6.5/slot).

Given the following conditions you might go way down your list:
1. Competitive specialty (lots of students want it)
2. but not supercompetitive (US seniors who want it and slots in equipoise)
3. Program tends to rank according to its criteria, rather than the perceived level of interest of the applicants.

You folks keep worming the secrets of the match out of me. Please, no more thumbscrews. :eek: :scared:

But BKN, none of us know where you are PD so its fair! :D Plus, what would we all do if we didn't get SOME secrets - we'd all end up on clonazepam or diazepam to calm our nerves - so consider yourself the substitute anxiolytic --- or would that be anxiety provoker? HAHA j/k :p

So, a program can go 80 deep - wow, I never really thought that could happen. I'm assuming all this stuff has some type of effect on the program itself or else all programs would interview a ton of candidates and subsequently rank them. If I were a PD, I would interview as many as possible and rank them all barring none of them were complete nitwits - but then again, I would only invite to interview those I intended to rank.

I find it interesting that programs would invite some candidates to interview without the intention of ranking them - now thats the part that blows me away. I guess its just to cover all the bases of unfilled spots, perhaps if a bunch of people start cancelling interviews or something.

BKN, what are the ramifications if a program goes unfilled? Do they lose spots in following years? Do they get funding pulled?

Poety said:
I find it interesting that programs would invite some candidates to interview without the intention of ranking them

I don't think they do. The PDs at my school said that they rank almost everyone - the only ones who aren't ranked are those who become DNR (do not rank) at the interview, meaning there is some severe personality flaw. The idea is that if you can't be somewhat agreeable to everyone during the six hours on interview day (even if it's an act), then you probably won't be nice to work with.

But BKN, none of us know where you are PD so its fair![

Actually it's available in the EM forum somewhere.

I'm assuming all this stuff has some type of effect on the program itself or else all programs would interview a ton of candidates and subsequently rank them. If I were a PD, I would interview as many as possible and rank them all barring none of them were complete nitwits - but then again, I would only invite to interview those I intended to rank.

Correct. That was the point of my earlier post. We are investing 4 times the faculty interview and staff time. I am reviewing 300 apps to give out 100 interviews. I estimate our recruiting costs in excess of 50K per year. You are having to interview 3-4 times as many programs as would have been needed before ERAS with attendent costs and time. It's a rat race.

I find it interesting that programs would invite some candidates to interview without the intention of ranking them

I wasn't implying that. I was indicating that programs have to interview more and have a longer rank list to assure filling. If somebody's unacceptable they won't be interviewed.

BKN, what are the ramifications if a program goes unfilled? Do they lose spots in following years? Do they get funding pulled?

Depends. The implications of not filling means you have to scramble or give the slots outside the match. The pool in scramble and after is considerably less desirable. If a program has to scramble, it will look less attractive to the following years applicants, perhaps prolonging the problem.

If a program's slots go unfilled, the institution may pull them to save money or to give them to a more successful program if there is one that is authorized more training slots than it has funded.

Ultimately, persistent open slots might lead to closing of the program, but rarely occurs since residents are so useful, particularly in public hospital systems.

I have a question re: step 2 CK for the match. If I want to have my score available for ranking meetings, will taking it Dec 27th be too late? Thanks :oops:

AngryTesticle,
Thanks for your advice regarding ranking startegy for us applicants. I am however cusrious about programs' rank lists. In your comments you seem to make distinction between a ranked candidate and a ranked to match candidate.

Do the programs maintain sepaerate lists for ranked to match candidates and just ranked candidates?

Hey DoDO,

I will say that after speaking to a couple of residents (interns now) they DID GET emails saying "if you rank us high, you will match here" - so now i'm just praying I get one of those :oops:

dodo2 said:
AngryTesticle,
Thanks for your advice regarding ranking startegy for us applicants. I am however cusrious about programs' rank lists. In your comments you seem to make distinction between a ranked candidate and a ranked to match candidate.

Do the programs maintain sepaerate lists for ranked to match candidates and just ranked candidates?
There aren't separate lists per se. Programs have one rank list. The ones at the top are your "ranked to match" candidates...then you have everyone else on the list. I presume that I was ranked to match at 2 (maybe 3) places based on rhetoric via letter or telephone. I use the word "presume" because they could have been lying to me and I would have never known. Then there are programs that may not let their top "ranked to match" candidates know that they really are ranked to match.

The way I went through things last year is that if a program did NOT tell me that I was "ranked to match", I assumed that I was not one of their top candidates. Since pathology is not very competitive compared to other specialties, I presumed that "ranked to match" candidates were aggressively recruited. Some programs gave me a lot of attention and some didn't. I did not let any of this affect my rank list. I knew where I wanted to go and in what order and nothing would sway me.

Hopefully I answered your question. Again, if a program has 10 spots, the top 10 candidates on its rank list represent the "ranked to match" candidates. If their total rank list comprises of 100 folks, the remaining 90 are simply "ranked" in my book. Sure, they can tell people, "you're ranked highly, extremely highly, or ranked"...these words do you no service. What you probably want to hear to help you sleep better at night is "YOU ARE RANKED TO MATCH."

dodo2 said:
AngryTesticle,

We'll say it as many times as necessary.

Your perception of how a program ranks you is 1) irrelevant to your list 2) might be completely mistaken since most of us try to be kind and 3) might be based on misleading info that they give out, because they are desperate to fill.

Trying to decode words like "ranked to match", "we hope to see you again" etc is a quick way to make yourself even more anxious. The rank algorithm works in such a way that you should put the programs in the order that you want them in order to maximize your happiness.

That said, shortly before the rank lists will be going in, send positive letters to everywhere that you'd like to be, make your list honestly, send it in and start biting your nails.;)

Poety said:
Hey DoDO,

I will say that after speaking to a couple of residents (interns now) they DID GET emails saying "if you rank us high, you will match here" - so now i'm just praying I get one of those :oops:

I would still be very hesitant to take this language as a commitment, even though it sounds like it worked for the people you know. Even emails and letters are non-binding, and there is probably a way for a program director to re-interpret that language to explain how it was not what most people would interpret it to be.

I guess I'm saying that I wouldn't buy a house until after the match. Being uncertain is hard, but being in for a nasty surprise is worse

Hi Blue,

Considering that I have an entire family to move, there is no way I'm being an idiot about anything. We will put the house on the market on match day (if relocating comes about) and thats it - for me, its not so easy, so a letter would ofcourse be VERY NICE and I would breathe easier (which I meant in my previous post- I'd stop being so neurotic :) but when considering a husbands business, an entire household relocating and lots of pets :p I would not take anything serious until I have the contract/letter in hand.

Just one of the things to consider as an old lady I guess!

any program directors willing to help...

IntMed said:
I have a question re: step 2 CK for the match. If I want to have my score available for ranking meetings, will taking it Dec 27th be too late? Thanks :oops:

IntMed said:

I heard it takes 3 months for your results to come back. So that means March 27th.

IntMed said:

I got mine back in about 7 weeks. I took min at the end of third year (May), so I don't think that they were too busy.

I went for an interview and it seemed like everyone but the PD liked me. But, he sent me a thank you note afterward (typed, generic, but signed). Does it mean I still will be ranked? This is a program that only has a 7:1 ratio.

IntMed said:

I'm sorry, I missed your question to me before.

I also don't know the answer, talk about worthless.

The ranks lists are due Feb 22. I suspect most places make it up a few days before. If they are still looking at new data and it comes in before that it might be helpful to you. If so, send the progams on your rank list an e-mail indicating it's available. On the other hand if it makes you look bad, silence is golden.

Tartufe said:
I went for an interview and it seemed like everyone but the PD liked me. But, he sent me a thank you note afterward (typed, generic, but signed). Does it mean I still will be ranked? This is a program that only has a 7:1 ratio.

You're right, it is not answerable.

Your perception of his feelings about you may be totally inaccurate. I have been amazed over years of watching people interact, how often even very intelligent people misunderstand each other. Matter of fact after seeing pride and prejudice over the weekend (best date movie ever), I went back and read the book again. The whole book is about nothing else but misperception. It's hard for me to imagine that Jane Austen was so wise when she was 21 years old.

Oops, oh yeah that was kind of off the subject. Anyway, refer back to my post above. From your point of view, it doesn't matter what he thought of you. He thinks what he thinks and he's going to rank you where he thinks is best. You may be able to modify that minimally by letters and follow up contacts, but you are unlikley to change from the bottom to the top. The only thing that's important from your viewpoint is where you want to rank his program.

Remember game theory. Either one of you can prevent your matching, neither one of you can force a match. Go on to the next interview and do your best.

BKN ;)

BKN, if you match is there anything that can come up on a background check that can make them decide to unmatch you?

Poety said:
BKN, if you match is there anything that can come up on a background check that can make them decide to unmatch you?

Don't hold me to this one it may be a better question for a dean of medical education, but I think...

You signed a statement that any false or omitted infomation on the ERAS is grounds for temination from the residency,expulsion from ERAS and investigation by the AAMC. Part of the application was questions about felony convictions with or without limitations, military obligations, educational and work history etc. If something significant was found that you had suppressed, it would probably ruin your career.

Secondly, if you had been honest, but something like a misdemeanor or cheating expulsion etc led to the State Board refusing to issue a training permit, the residency couldn't train you.

Other than those things, a contract is a contract.

Oh its nothing like that BKN! :) Its just that felony drug conviction for smuggling 10 kilos outta Mexico one summer when I was 21 - you know, the usual stuff ;) JUST KIDDING!

Anything in the ERAS contract about divulging health history?

Hi Tartufe, I know there is a section on teh medical licensing app to divulge information about health history - check out the application for whatever state you plan to do residency and that should give you the answer (you can google mecical licensing board in whichever state you choose for the webpage)

Hope this helps!

Tartufe said:
Anything in the ERAS contract about divulging health history?

Actually, this gets close to the Americans with Disability Act. The only allowable question in any job application/interview is "Do you have a medical condition that may interefere with your ability to perform the duties of the job you are applying for?"

Don't know if that is on the form. I certainly never remember to ask.

BKN said:
Actually, this gets close to the Americans with Disability Act. The only allowable question in any job application/interview is "Do you have a medical condition that may interefere with your ability to perform the duties of the job you are applying for?"

thats exactly what it says on the form BKN :)

What is the role of step 2 ck in the rank? Will you not be ranked with out it? Will a low score hurt you? Is it mostly considered great you passed. Any one else finding fourth year unusally stressful.

Poety said:
thats exactly what it says on the form BKN :)

BKN said:

Dr. BKN, thanks so much for your replies on here. I have one quick question. Could you stratify USMLE Step 1 scores into scoring tiers from a PD's point of view. Do you personally focus more on 2 digit scores or 3 digit scores?

Also what I mean by Top Tier is the minimum top USMLE score that receives the maximum amount of points for that applicant in their application. For example (I made this up), any person with above 270 will get maximum 10/10 for USMLE Score in their application.

Top Tier
Step 1 Score from _______to_________

2nd Tier

3rd Tier

Thanks for all of your insight!

OneStrongBro said:
Dr. BKN, thanks so much for your replies on here. I have one quick question. Could you stratify USMLE Step 1 scores into scoring tiers from a PD's point of view. Do you personally focus more on 2 digit scores or 3 digit scores?

Also what I mean by Top Tier is the minimum top USMLE score that receives the maximum amount of points for that applicant in their application. For example (I made this up), any person with above 270 will get maximum 10/10 for USMLE Score in their application.

Top Tier

2nd Tier

3rd Tier

Thanks for all of your insight!

I can tell you what I think, I can't tell you what others think. I use only the 2 point scores because they are direclty comparable to the 2 point comlex scores.

I don't know what "tier" means. The standard deviation is published, I believe. The prediction interval (not confidence interval) for 95% of a candidates scores would be his original score +/- 1.96*S.D. Generally you can say that if a candidate retakes the test without additional prep, he'll score within a few points (about 5) of his original.

From that I would look at candidates in about 5 point ranges <75 unacceptable, <80 marginal, <85 good, <90 better, <95 excellent, >95 superior.

But the MLE 1 is only a minority of our programs formula, and I suspect that's true a lot of places. We put higher emphasis on CK and CS (if we can get them) since they are clinical and I'm training clinicians.

The interviews are at least as important as scores and grades.

Med4ever said:
What is the role of step 2 ck in the rank? Will you not be ranked with out it? Will a low score hurt you? Is it mostly considered great you passed. Any one else finding fourth year unusally stressful.

I made a mistake earlier this year. I gave out with the interview invites a statement that while we offered interviews on the basis of c.v., mles and a couple of letters, the full packet including CK and CS would be needed to rank.
The howls were loud, in fact howling on SDN is how I got into these forums. The protesters pointed out that the scheduleing for CS was such that they couldn't have it done on time. The end result was that I backed off till next year. It's going to be on the website somewhere around march.

I hear that a few places are already requiring it. I predict in future years many palces will require it.

As of now I put more emphasis on the CK score than the MLE 1. I do that because it's clinical and I'm training clinicians. That's a good thing for most of you as it seems, in my sample at least that the CK scores are usually a few points higher. :)

I must say that the contact from the program after the interview does influence me a little. I would like to think it has nothing to do with my pride, perhaps subconsciously that is what it is.
I have my ROL and my #1 program knows it is my #1 and the PD hasn't responded to an email question for over a week. The secretary didn't email me back either. Aside from my thank you note, this is first contact.
On the other hand, the place that was #3, has been great about follow up and has sent me an unsolicited email as well as being really quick to respond to inquiries. This has placed them in firm 2 in my mind and is starting to look better than #1 even.
My thinking is that if they like you enough to keep up with you, doesn't that imply a greater "clicking" and ultimately it means you would be happier there? Even if I end up at my current #1, maybe I wouldn't be as happy there because I was last on their list and how much they like me will ultimately influence my happiness level there.
I am currently feeling very blown off by #1 and wonder if they will be as slow to respond to questions/concerns during residency as well.
BTW: I am not a high maintenence applicant that is sending off all kinds of emails!

penguins said:
I must say that the contact from the program after the interview does influence me a little. I would like to think it has nothing to do with my pride, perhaps subconsciously that is what it is.
I have my ROL and my #1 program knows it is my #1 and the PD hasn't responded to an email question for over a week. The secretary didn't email me back either. Aside from my thank you note, this is first contact.
On the other hand, the place that was #3, has been great about follow up and has sent me an unsolicited email as well as being really quick to respond to inquiries. This has placed them in firm 2 in my mind and is starting to look better than #1 even.
My thinking is that if they like you enough to keep up with you, doesn't that imply a greater "clicking" and ultimately it means you would be happier there? Even if I end up at my current #1, maybe I wouldn't be as happy there because I was last on their list and how much they like me will ultimately influence my happiness level there.
I am currently feeling very blown off by #1 and wonder if they will be as slow to respond to questions/concerns during residency as well.
BTW: I am not a high maintenence applicant that is sending off all kinds of emails!

Hi,

I would not take the non-response from your #1 choice personally. They might be overwhelmed with other applicants saying the same exact lines about ranking them #1. Remember the more competitive a program is, then it is more likely they can pick the cream of the crop. If you really want to go to your #1 choice, then stick to your choice. Just because a program is slow to respond does not mean it reflects on the program. If you look on their side of the situation, they probably don't want to give out any false impressions. They probably have too many e-mails to respond to all of them.

Just my 2 cents,
psychedoc2b

penguins said:

I'm with doc2be on this. We try to answer every question quickly, but we do have 100+ interviews to do, a bunch or patients to see, some research to do and a bunch of residents and students to teach. I suspect your place is a little busy also.

penguins said:

Keep in mind also it is the holiday season and many people are out of the office. I sent an email to a program to set up a second look and they responded 5 days later asking for more information of things I would like to do. In that email they said they will be out of the office for a week and will not be responding to emails in the meantime.

So be patient. I think BKN is right on about not being shrinks and reading into every little thing. I am very guilty of trying to read into everything, but I am realizing that it is really no use stressing over it. Match day is too far away at this point to be worrying about it. Come March, I will be a little ball of stress, but for now I am going to enjoy the holidays with my friends and family.

You guys are right. I keep telling myself that these attendings don't have time to stare at the "inbox" like we applicants do.
This is worse then dating was... when is he gonna call, does he really like me or was it a show....

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

You're cute penguins - we're all there with you.

Merry Christmas! and Happy Channukah! and Happy Kwaanza! (sorry if I spelled any of those wrong)

:)

penguins said:
You guys are right. I keep telling myself that these attendings don't have time to stare at the "inbox" like we applicants do.
This is worse then dating was... when is he gonna call, does he really like me or was it a show....

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

I know how you feel. A few weeks ago, I told my #1 program that I will be ranking them first (I absolutely love this program plus I am geographically restricted to the area due to my husband's job). The PD/chair replied with a phone call telling me that I will be ranked to match :) . At first I was soooooooo excited, but now I am extremely worried that they will forget or worse yet, change their minds!! :( I keep checking my e-mail for more correspondence from them and of course there is nothing. I will have to think of some reason to contact them sometime in January/February.

penguins said:

I liken myself to Vince Vaughn ala Swingers. I wait a minimum of 6 days before calling program directors for a second "date" (ie, second look). I like to keep them hanging by the telephone just waiting for my call.

BKN and others thanks so much for the insight!

i have a question about contacting programs that i have yet to hear from...i called a program last week and the secretary informed me that my application was still under review. based on what i know about this particular program, it sounds like a great match and i would love to find out more about it and get a much coveted interview...would it be too much to email the program director directly informing her of my interest? my step 2 score (which was about 20 points higher than my step 1 score) became availabe on 12/14 so hopefully my app is a little stronger now...i'm a little scared b/c time is running out for the interview season :eek:

any help will be much appreciated...happy holidays!

BKN said:
I can tell you what I think, I can't tell you what others think. I use only the 2 point scores because they are direclty comparable to the 2 point comlex scores.

Are you referring to the 2 digit scores reported by the USMLE vs. the 2 digit scores reported by COMLEX? I don't see how these are comparable at all...the COMLEX gives a percentile, the USMLE does not. For instance a 50 on the COMLEX is an average score, it is the 50% percentile and significantly above passing. A 50 on the USMLE is significantly below passing (75).

Claymore said:
Are you referring to the 2 digit scores reported by the USMLE vs. the 2 digit scores reported by COMLEX? I don't see how these are comparable at all...the COMLEX gives a percentile, the USMLE does not. For instance a 50 on the COMLEX is an average score, it is the 50% percentile and significantly above passing. A 50 on the USMLE is significantly below passing (75).

No the comlex reports a 2 digit score that is the same as the 2 digit score on the usmle. There also is a percentile score that the schools sometimes put in the dean's letter.

Anastacia23 said:
BKN and others thanks so much for the insight!

i have a question about contacting programs that i have yet to hear from...i called a program last week and the secretary informed me that my application was still under review. based on what i know about this particular program, it sounds like a great match and i would love to find out more about it and get a much coveted interview...would it be too much to email the program director directly informing her of my interest? my step 2 score (which was about 20 points higher than my step 1 score) became availabe on 12/14 so hopefully my app is a little stronger now...i'm a little scared b/c time is running out for the interview season :eek:

any help will be much appreciated...happy holidays!

Call her or e-mail her. It's late enough that you are unlikely to get an inteview unless you are assertive. the improvement in step 2 will often open the door.

I read the section of Iserson's about the thank-you letters...I've procrastinated a bit and haven't written letters yet since I started interviewing 6 weeks ago. Will they have forgotten me at this point? I'm planning to write them all in the next few days. One thing that has led to my procrastination is my indecision on writing to each person who interviewed me or just the program director.

You can turn procrastination to your advantage. If you are done with the interviews, you can write the people saying "I'm done with all of my interviews and your program is the cat's meow."

Hi BKN,

I was wondering how important is it to have your Step 2 CK score when programs begin formal discussions of rank lists in Februrary? For example, will it make any difference if an applicant's score is in now vs. first getting it in by the first week of February (as in my case)? Also, when do programs usually finish discussing/ranking applicants and submit their rank lists?

Thanks for your input!

quidnunc said:
Hi BKN,

I was wondering how important is it to have your Step 2 CK score when programs begin formal discussions of rank lists in Februrary? For example, will it make any difference if an applicant's score is in now vs. first getting it in by the first week of February (as in my case)? Also, when do programs usually finish discussing/ranking applicants and submit their rank lists?

Thanks for your input!

We do the calculations and the match party after all interviews done in mid Feb. if you've been reading the psych threads, it appears that not all do it that way.

I'd like to have the CK as soon as available. If not available by mid-Feb, it would not be there to help an application.

Mumpu said:
You can turn procrastination to your advantage. If you are done with the interviews, you can write the people saying "I'm done with all of my interviews and your program is the cat's meow."

Thanks for the advice. That's what Iserson's mentioned, also, and what I am now going to do, although I still have a few good interviews left for January. But I wonder if I should also tell the programs which I'm genuinely going to rank highly that I will, in fact, rank them highly. Can divulging that hurt me in any way?