How are McDonald's and Taco Bell successful in Calif.?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mentos

Half full member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why would anyone eat at McDonald's or Taco Bell in Calif. when there are In-N-Out Burger and authentic Mexican places everywhere?

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
  • Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why would anyone eat at McDonald's or Taco Bell in Calif. when there are In-N-Out Burger and authentic Mexican places everywhere?
I can field this one:

1) People like crap
2) In-N-Out, because they're made to order, has production problems that are often at odds with the definition of fast food. Waiting 45 minutes for a burger when you're on vacation is not a big deal; when you have 30 minutes for lunch it is no deal. The older locations (outside only) can have drive-thru lines for miles. Even the better planned new builds can obstruct traffic.
3) Taco Bell is a sort of comfort food. In no way is it good. And as above, you can get a decent snack for less than $2.
4) Children like McDonald's but often don't like In-N-out. And there is a much broader menu than In-N-Out. I guess some people don't feel like eating double-doubles every day.

Source: I grew up very close to the birthplace of all 3 chains and worked for at least two of them.

PS: I've often wondered if McDonald's was better in 1950 or whenever they started. Like how could somebody go there and think it's the best restaurant ever, I should open 500 of them? My guess is there weren't many choices for eating out and people ate bland food at home. Taco Bell, on the other hand, would have been exotic in 1960. It probably still is in some of the country.

Reactions: 1 users
1660250531564.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I can field this one:

1) People like crap
2) In-N-Out, because they're made to order, has production problems that are often at odds with the definition of fast food. Waiting 45 minutes for a burger when you're on vacation is not a big deal; when you have 30 minutes for lunch it is no deal. The older locations (outside only) can have drive-thru lines for miles. Even the better planned new builds can obstruct traffic.
3) Taco Bell is a sort of comfort food. In no way is it good. And as above, you can get a decent snack for less than $2.
4) Children like McDonald's but often don't like In-N-out. And there is a much broader menu than In-N-Out. I guess some people don't feel like eating double-doubles every day.

Source: I grew up very close to the birthplace of all 3 chains and worked for at least two of them.

PS: I've often wondered if McDonald's was better in 1950 or whenever they started. Like how could somebody go there and think it's the best restaurant ever, I should open 500 of them? My guess is there weren't many choices for eating out and people ate bland food at home. Taco Bell, on the other hand, would have been exotic in 1960. It probably still is in some of the country.

Can we broaden this discussion to: Why would anyone go to McDonald's in Paris? They're always super crowded. Are the French fries better?

Yes, they were and no, they weren't. The old McDonald's fries recipe was extraordinarily good. You can still get it in France (cooked in beef tallow). The original hamburger hasn't changed much and the comparable hamburger from the time period is White Castle as disgusting as it is. The only difference is that McDonalds used to fry their burgers until the 90s and use fresh meat (not frozen) until the 80s. Wendy's is the closest to what McDonalds used to be. I don't consider Wendy's good at all (haven't eaten in McDonalds/BK/Wendys in 15 years) but they're not horrible. But compared to a White Castle burger, McDonalds is divine. The cloest competition was Denny's, and that was at least twice as expensive for a similar product. McDonalds was the best restaurant in their segment, but outside of the convenience strategy, it's trivial to get better.

But food isn't the reason, it's more the real estate and convenience that sells McDonalds. And for most of its history, being a franchise owner is a license to print money.

What I'm surprised at in California is why Jack in the Box doesn't get more business given the same price point. It's totally stoner food and convenient. In terms of a fast food burger, I'm surprised that Five Guys doesn't make more inroads (In and Out deliberately keeps their restaurants in certain areas of town and for easy logistics). In DC, FG is the arguably the king of the fast food burgers and fries for a good reason.
Taco Bell isn't Mexican food, it's Taco Bell food. I think that's why it sells. People want the unique taste of Taco Bell, not Mexican food. There's only a couple of restuarant brands like it (Panda Express and Noodles are exemplars of this too). In CA, authentic Mexican is about the same if not cheaper if you want to go there. In AZ, Filiberto's was as cheap as a Taco Bell combo with far better food though most would go slightly upscale and get their incredible asada plates. The place for bad Mexican food in AZ is a now defunct chain called Pancho's. Taco Bell was always considered different than Mexican food in AZ.

On topic, who would go to Walgreens, CVS, or Wal-Mart if there are better pharmacies out there at the same price? People who don't think about it and just want to fill the need. And that's why they're the big 3, because it works. People don't think about it. People watch TV, see the ads, and feel the need.

We're making pastor for dinner on the grill tonight, you talked me into it :). Making because in this state of MN, there are few good Hispanic food options, a truly pitiful situation.

Reactions: 1 users

Yes, they were and no, they weren't. The old McDonald's fries recipe was extraordinarily good. You can still get it in France (cooked in beef tallow). The original hamburger hasn't changed much and the comparable hamburger from the time period is White Castle as disgusting as it is. The only difference is that McDonalds used to fry their burgers until the 90s and use fresh meat (not frozen) until the 80s. Wendy's is the closest to what McDonalds used to be. I don't consider Wendy's good at all (haven't eaten in McDonalds/BK/Wendys in 15 years) but they're not horrible. But compared to a White Castle burger, McDonalds is divine. The cloest competition was Denny's, and that was at least twice as expensive for a similar product. McDonalds was the best restaurant in their segment, but outside of the convenience strategy, it's trivial to get better.

But food isn't the reason, it's more the real estate and convenience that sells McDonalds. And for most of its history, being a franchise owner is a license to print money.

What I'm surprised at in California is why Jack in the Box doesn't get more business given the same price point. It's totally stoner food and convenient. In terms of a fast food burger, I'm surprised that Five Guys doesn't make more inroads (In and Out deliberately keeps their restaurants in certain areas of town and for easy logistics). In DC, FG is the arguably the king of the fast food burgers and fries for a good reason.
Taco Bell isn't Mexican food, it's Taco Bell food. I think that's why it sells. People want the unique taste of Taco Bell, not Mexican food. There's only a couple of restuarant brands like it (Panda Express and Noodles are exemplars of this too). In CA, authentic Mexican is about the same if not cheaper if you want to go there. In AZ, Filiberto's was as cheap as a Taco Bell combo with far better food though most would go slightly upscale and get their incredible asada plates. The place for bad Mexican food in AZ is a now defunct chain called Pancho's. Taco Bell was always considered different than Mexican food in AZ.

On topic, who would go to Walgreens, CVS, or Wal-Mart if there are better pharmacies out there at the same price? People who don't think about it and just want to fill the need. And that's why they're the big 3, because it works. People don't think about it. People watch TV, see the ads, and feel the need.

We're making pastor for dinner on the grill tonight, you talked me into it :). Making because in this state of MN, there are few good Hispanic food options, a truly pitiful situation.

I could not disagree more about Jack in the Box. There are websites devoted to their tacos which discuss what brand of cat food they taste like...or maybe it's what cat food texture they have. These are from people who like their tacos. Their burgers (and everything on their menu) is incredibly saucy and greasy. It's a different animal from McDonald's all together.

I hear a lot of people from outside California compare In-N-Out (usually unfavorably) to 5 Guys. I don't get the comparison. They're in two different markets. A double double is around $3.50. What's the cheapest burger at 5 Guys? $7? And maybe I've just never had a good burger at 5 Guys, but they've been good at best and often worse. And the "restaurants" which maybe have mostly been mall food courts for me are always filthy. In-N-Outs tend to get worse the further you get from headquarters, but they don't have the same kind of quality control problems as 5 Guys.

RE: chain drug stores. There are actual advantages to going to one: 24 hour service and easy transferring around the country. Maybe that's largely an imagined benefit, but it's still something.

Last edited:
  • Haha
I live in the west coast and the lines I have seen at McDonalds amazes me. I have lived in a lot of places from west to east to south Midwest and never seen McDonalds this busy anywhere.

Can we broaden this discussion to: Why would anyone go to McDonald's in Paris? They're always super crowded. Are the French fries better?

Dunno about Paris, but I popped into the McD’s by the Spanish Steps in Italy, and they had a gelato bar in there. Was decent, but there are dozens of better options nearby.

Some of the southeast Asian McD’s have region-specific items.

I think Jack in the Box is gross, I like to call if Crap in the Box.

Five Guys is good but it's different from In-N-Out. They have better milkshakes, but I prefer In-N-Out for the food.

how many authentic mexican places have a drive-thru?

Members don't see this ad :)
Super Sergio's in San Diego is one.
now the prices at super sergios doesn't compare to taco bell's. you gotta give one up lol.

Also i think some people still go to mcdonalds cus sometimes that In-and-out line is ridiculously long

I can field this one:

1) People like crap

No one tops McDonalds when it comes to fish filets. And In and Out doesn't even offer a fish filet.

Now, since I live in NY and have no option for In and Out, I will go to In and Out as my first stop after leaving LAX airport when I visit Cali. But the NY comparison for this would be Shake Shack. The burger is far superior at Shake Shack, but it's a lot more expensive, there is no drive through option, and the wait is sometimes 20-30 mins long.

No one tops McDonalds when it comes to fish filets. And In and Out doesn't even offer a fish filet.

Now, since I live in NY and have no option for In and Out, I will go to In and Out as my first stop after leaving LAX airport when I visit Cali. But the NY comparison for this would be Shake Shack. The burger is far superior at Shake Shack, but it's a lot more expensive, there is no drive through option, and the wait is sometimes 20-30 mins long.

Yeah, but do they come with bible verses? Enjoy your heathen burger.

It's "Calif." not "Cali". Tourist.

For some reason, everything seemed to taste better in Paris, even McDonalds, to me.
Also, sometimes it was nice to get some familiar comfort food. The menu was slightly different.

For some reason, everything seemed to taste better in Paris, even McDonalds, to me.
Also, sometimes it was nice to get some familiar comfort food. The menu was slightly different.
When o saw a McDonald’s on Rome I thought it was ridiculous. But I saw some parents take kids there. Probably just because it was easier.

how many authentic mexican places have a drive-thru?

My absolute favorite joint in San Diego had one (okay, technically Chula Vista) - Tacos El Gordo de Baja California.

They shut it (and delivery app service) recently-ish to focus on in-store.

But many (but not all) of the authentic joints have one.

When o saw a McDonald’s on Rome I thought it was ridiculous. But I saw some parents take kids there. Probably just because it was easier.
We went to McDonald's in Tokyo, Hong Kong, and Beijing because they all had local specialties with their own twist. Starbucks in Tokyo had awesome drinks unavailable in America

Shake Shack is the superior product, but on a unit of goodness per dollar scale, In n Out comes out better.

I went on a bus to NYC once to see for myself (having just left CA, and back when Shack was NYC only), popped down to the Madison Square Park location and had Shake Shack…was good, but I couldn’t believe it to be better than in n out, so I came back two weeks later and had to concede the point, lol.

McDonalds in Pakistan is amazing and 20 times better than what we have in the USA. They have armed security guards and metal detectors. Service is 20 times better than the US. They even have big screen TVs showing the cricket matches and the clientele that goes to McDonalds over there seems to be upper middle class-upper class.

The McDonalds prices seemed affordable from an American tourist perspective. Like 1500-2000 rupees for a meal, which is like $10. But an average Pakistani monthly salary is 80k.

A lot of the ingredients in American Mcdonald's are illegal in Europe. Of course it will be better quality.

Easy....they have kids, and kids see the commercials and want to go to McDonald's with the friendly clown and Happy Meals with gotta have toys. And when you are a tired parent, you really don't care about the food, as long as the kids are happy. I used to go there at least every 1 - 2 weeks. Fortunately, my youngest is now past the Happy Meal stage, and it's actually been a couple of years since we've been to McDonald's. My kids all recognize that other fast food restaurants have better food (Arby's is a favorite.)

(as for Taco Bell, that I have no idea......better hours than the authentic Mexican places?)

Easy....they have kids, and kids see the commercials and want to go to McDonald's with the friendly clown and Happy Meals with gotta have toys. And when you are a tired parent, you really don't care about the food, as long as the kids are happy. I used to go there at least every 1 - 2 weeks. Fortunately, my youngest is now past the Happy Meal stage, and it's actually been a couple of years since we've been to McDonald's. My kids all recognize that other fast food restaurants have better food (Arby's is a favorite.)

(as for Taco Bell, that I have no idea......better hours than the authentic Mexican places?)

That's a good reason for McDonald's, forgot about the toys. But I see many adults going there without kids too. Plenty of Mexican places with drive-thrus open late. Maybe some people don't like authentic?

I ate at Arby's once and the sandwich was dry as the desert. Maybe I should give it another try.

I haven’t seen said clown in ages, when was the last ad campaign with it? Thought they ditched it when they tried to appeal to the upmarket.