How are my ECs? Started a bit late...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Idiosyncrasy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1) I am going to see if I can shadow a couple of doctors in my area next semester and during the summertime. I'd like to shadow different types of surgeons but I will take what I can get, seeing as I am a bit late.
2) Active member of organization that provides free blood pressure, glucose, and lipid profile readings to underprivileged people in area. (2 years)
3) If my ECs are not competitive enough for "good" schools then can you provide tips on how I can strengthen them? I am concerned with the short duration of most of my ECs.
4) I would like to apply in the summertime.
5) I am going to participate in a spring break program this upcoming spring. I will be repairing homes in impoverished areas.
1) I would try to include an office-based primary care doc, too. Average hours is about 50 overall.

2) Did you interact with the people getting these checkups, or provide support services?

3) The short duration of some of the ECs is definitely going to be an issue. Top Schools tend to like Leadership and substantive Research where you had creative control (2+ years is nice to see) so the closer you get to that the better. Waiting another year to apply seems not to be your plan, so I'd say continue with pertinent activites through the application cycle for the sake of update letters, and in case you need to reapply.

4) As ideally you'd apply in early June to have the best chances, activities planned for next summer would not be on your application but can be communicated by update letter. I would try to get all the shadowing in before you apply.

5) Regular hands-on, local, off-campus service to the poor would be a good addition to your list. Is there a habitat for humanity chapter locally?

Members don't see this ad :)
1) For the checkups, I interact with people directly under the supervision of various physicians.

2) Do you think I have significantly reduced my chances of getting interviewed by top schools by having short ECs?
1) Terrific. As some of those you screened already had medical issues, I think most adcomms will view this as more clinical experience.

2) If we assume an excellent MCAT score, your chances of an interview may be decreased due to briefer involvement, but I feel your chances of an acceptance would definitely be decreased.