How are my fellow interns doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mommy2three

PGY-1
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Tomorrow is 4 weeks down - I can say it went as fast as people said it does

I have had a fairly easy first month with all our certifications - ACLS, BLS, PALS, ALSO, Neonatal resuscitation and FCCS along with a week on service for half days and weekend on service plus additional time exploring the various community resources and four half days in clinic

I am glad it was not crazy from the get go but am slightly terrified that I am in for a rude awakening when I start emergency medicine Tuesday :eek:

How is everyone else doing?

Posted using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Good Luck! Take each rotation as it comes. You have NOTHING to be worried about....

Members don't see this ad :)
im getting my ass handed to me:blackeye:

I was lucky enough to get my wards rotations front loaded so its back to the fire hose...x10. i like it though, just lots more stuff to learn with little time to sit down and learn it. with the schedule as is me time=sleeping time. i'll be excited to get to my out patient blocks

I'm on an oupatient community medicine rotation first, but my first week I had the clinic phone after hours and then was on inpatient service on the weekend :( Nothing like getting only intermittent sleep for a week, then jumping onto the medicine service for 2 days without knowing any of the patients. Sucks! Now back to chillness for a few weeks...

I'm on my 11th night in a row. I pulled a month of nights as my first rotation (all interns do 1 month). It was a steep learning curve but worth it. I've gotten a lot of bread and butter patients: Small bowel obstructions, pneumonia, EtOH withdraw, pancreatitis, hyperkalemia, even caught a STEMI on a guy who wound up having 80% blockage on his LCA. Total this month I will have worked 26 nights. Tomorrow is the last one. I already feel like my knowledge base has increased substantially. I hope everyone else is doing well. This is still VASTLY preferred over med school.

I'm on my 11th night in a row. I pulled a month of nights as my first rotation (all interns do 1 month). It was a steep learning curve but worth it. I've gotten a lot of bread and butter patients: Small bowel obstructions, pneumonia, EtOH withdraw, pancreatitis, hyperkalemia, even caught a STEMI on a guy who wound up having 80% blockage on his LCA. Total this month I will have worked 26 nights. Tomorrow is the last one. I already feel like my knowledge base has increased substantially. I hope everyone else is doing well. This is still VASTLY preferred over med school.

They scheduled you for 11 nights in a row? Not supposed to work more than 6 night shifts in a row. A whole month of night float is rough. We did 1/2 month night float rotations.

We track our work hours on New Innovations and supposedly there are no work hours violations. The hospital is a smaller one, so it hasn't been too terrible. I am thankful this is my last night, however!

Reactions: 1 user
Is anyone else utterly confused by duty hours on New Innovations?!
I can log noon conference with clinic before and after and it will flag a violation--"only one hour off"...but I can log 8 days in a row without 24 hr off and it's cool. I guess it's all about 1-month averages but it is whack.
I started with 2 wk of OB/peds night float. We combine these services in the summer since peds census is low. I was scared to death but it was actually a nice rotation. I've almost gotten over my fear of pregnant women
Still my least favorite part of family med, but it's no longer torture.
I then did 2 wk EM and now on 2nd week of surgery. Go back to NF for 2 wk then my service medicine month begins. I haven't learned much the past 3 wk (some useful peri operative tips though, my surgeon preceptor is an excellent teacher). I learned quite a lot that 2 wk of OB.
I know I will be very humbled on inpatient next month.
My biggest frustration the past few weeks is that I have so much clinic--usually 3 half-days a week--that I miss valuable time on my actual rotation.
OTOH, this weekend was my first full 2 days off in 5 and I chose to work yesterday (my former job as an EM PA in a totally unconnected hospital system). I made in one shift yesterday what I make in almost a 6-day week as a resident. That part is depressing.

OTOH, this weekend was my first full 2 days off in 5 and I chose to work yesterday (my former job as an EM PA in a totally unconnected hospital system). I made in one shift yesterday what I make in almost a 6-day week as a resident. That part is depressing.

You work as a PA while you are a resident? That must be really interesting! Do you introduce yourself to your patients as a PA or a Dr?

The part I hated most about being a resident was the low salary. Most floor RNs make more than residents do. What frustrated me even more was most non-residents in the hospital thought we earned much, much more money than we actually did. Once they found out low little money we made, however, we'd usually be treated better.

Intern year is the worst, hang in there.

Feeling particularly poor right now yes.
Will only continue to work as a PA while an intern. After PGY-2, I'm moonlighting as a DO and getting paid for it!
I can really only do it because my PA job is a small hospital where I have always worked as a PA. I don't have an issue with the scope of practice and I only work under my PA license and MD supervision/collaboration there.
Could never do both in the same hospital setting. Would be a logistical disaster.
Oddly my state has no rule against holding both active licenses...most states require surrendering the lower license once one attains the higher license. I was just advised by my BOM's legal dept to be very clear about which license I am practicing under in which setting.
For 1 or 2 shifts a month when I can do it though, the extra income is very welcome indeed.

Also forgot to mention: yes when I work as a PA I only introduce myself as a PA. Otherwise I'm Dr _____.

I completed OB and 4 inpatient call nights so far. Also did call as part of OB. OB went pretty well. Love my new job in spite of low wages.

Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone else utterly confused by duty hours on New Innovations?!
I can log noon conference with clinic before and after and it will flag a violation--"only one hour off"...but I can log 8 days in a row without 24 hr off and it's cool. .

Our program warned us about this and that it would flag violations because it thinks you do not have ten hours off.
So they told us to make sure that we have everything overlapping so if we have noon conference we put noon conference and then put we start clinic at one even if we do not start until 1:30

Posted using SDN Mobile

^^^ahhhh....thanks so much for this tidbit!

^^^ahhhh....thanks so much for this tidbit!

no problem. our program was pretty explicit about telling us new innovations is really picky about the whole 10 our thing so to make sure to have everything but adjacent to each other so to speak to avoid any possible flags.

hang in there - new innovations headaches and EMR adjustments will soon be a distant memory

Re: New Innov. I just do that. I leave no gaps. It doesn't matter the rotation, just that there cannot be any gaps.

The the poster above who did 11 nights in a row... are you at an osteopathic residency?