How are repeated courses looked at?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jason025

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a Canadian undergrad hoping to go to a US DO school. My first two years of undergrad were pretty bad (dealt with some personal issues,etc). I've repeated about 6 courses (that are pre-reqs) and went from Ds/Fs to As/Bs. Have my chances of being accepted decreased because I repeated many courses. Also, I repeated one course twice, so how will the committees look at that? Will they just simply count the highest/recent grade in the cgpa? Thank you for the advice and support! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a Canadian undergrad hoping to go to a US DO school. My first two years of undergrad were pretty bad (dealt with some personal issues,etc). I've repeated about 6 courses (that are pre-reqs) and went from Ds/Fs to As/Bs. Have my chances of being accepted decreased because I repeated many courses. Also, I repeated one course twice, so how will the committees look at that? Will they just simply count the highest/recent grade in the cgpa? Thank you for the advice and support! :)

DO schools have grade replacement and yes they count the most recent grade (whether it is higher or lower). Plus I have seen tons of people on this forum go from those same bad grades to the same goods one mentioned and have ended up in medial school.

How do they count courses that were repeated twice. Gchem first attempt- F, second attempt F, third attempt-B+. Please don't tell me how badly I messed up, I already know. But will they actually just count the B+ and disregard the two other Fs? Anyone had this experience?

Members don't see this ad :)
How do they count courses that were repeated twice. Gchem first attempt- F, second attempt F, third attempt-B+. Please don't tell me how badly I messed up, I already know. But will they actually just count the B+ and disregard the two other Fs? Anyone had this experience?

They only count the most recent. Meaning that your two F grades will be replaced by the third attempt, the B+. There have been students who had multiple failures in the past and have gone into medical school, so you have a chance in the DO route. Makes the world seem a lot sunnier.

I myself have no experience in this area, but I am sure there are people who have. I think you will get a lot more responses tomorrow.

They only count the most recent. Meaning that your two F grades will be replaced by the third attempt, the B+. There have been students who had multiple failures in the past and have gone into medical school, so you have a chance in the DO route. Makes the world seem a lot sunnier.

OP is probably jumping in joy.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else want to put their two sense in?

I'll give you my one-sense, repeated courses looking bad is nonsense. The most recent repeated course is what counts for your AACOMAS GPA calculation, people generally take a class they did bad in 2-3 times max, beyond that, I don't know how ADCOMS perceive it but it won't matter to AACOMAS GPA calculations as long your most recent repeated class is counted. That is my 2-cents.

Reactions: 1 user
Shouldn't be a problem, but your previous attempts will show up on your transcripts and application. They will see the other grades but will consider only the repeat. Good luck! I repeated a few courses, and it helped my GPA a lot.

Reactions: 1 user