How are you all affording to go to your interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaceyLPC

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've just been asked to interview for a third doctoral program, and I'm very excited! The first two are within my home state, but the third one I just got asked to come to is about 12 hours away. I live in a small town, and flights are always extremely expensive compared to bigger airports. I'm doing my best to find a way to make this work, but it's going to cost me ~$400 just to fly there. So I'm wondering, how are you all genuinely doing this?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I've just been asked to interview for a third doctoral program, and I'm very excited! The first two are within my home state, but the third one I just got asked to come to is about 12 hours away. I live in a small town, and flights are always extremely expensive compared to bigger airports. I'm doing my best to find a way to make this work, but it's going to cost me ~$400 just to fly there. So I'm wondering, how are you all genuinely doing this?
Look into obtaining an airlines or travel credit card. They usually give you a bunch of points for signing up and 2x the points on travel and dining etc.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
When I decided I was going to apply I took a second job to help fund the cost of applications and interview travel. This was tiring, but I got super lucky that it was a research related position with very flexible hours. Then I grouped interviews on the same trip whenever possible and scoured the web for deals on airfare and hotels, in addition to using any rewards points I had acquired. If programs offered student hosts and/or transportation to/from the airport then I took advantage. I ate as cheaply as possible and took advantage of free meals if the programs provided them during socials. Some programs will offer partial travel reimbursement, when this was available I submitted my receipts and appropriate forms as soon as I got home.

Members don't see this ad :)
Look into obtaining an airlines or travel credit card. They usually give you a bunch of points for signing up and 2x the points on travel and dining etc.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Thank you, I'm just not sure this is a great option for me though - I already have more credit card debt than I'd personally like.

Reactions: 1 user
Be an Uber driver temporarily if there’s a market in your small town for that. (If there’s an airport, even a small one, there’s normally a rideshare market.)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Picked up an extra case at work, redeemed airline miles I had saved, asked for miles and hotel points for holiday presents, staying with family and friends out of town, etc. Trying to be as creative as possible!

Credit card. Parents helped me and co signed so I could get cheap interest rate. I couldn’t do it without support. It’s not easy.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Not all that helpful now, but I had budgeted and socked away money the previous year or so in anticipation for interview travel. Other than that, drove when feasible. Something to think about for internship travel, start putting money aside when you can once in grad school.

Not all that helpful now, but I had budgeted and socked away money the previous year or so in anticipation for interview travel. Other than that, drove when feasible. Something to think about for internship travel, start putting money aside when you can once in grad school.

Thank you, I will do that. I've also found if I'm willing to drive three hours to a bigger city, flights are much cheaper. Will probably do that!