How are you funding your applications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

booswim542

Walkin' on Sunshine
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since these applications cost an arm and a leg, how are you guys paying for the process? What kind of job do you have?

Maybe we can give each other ideas...I know I'm out of them!

Members don't see this ad.

I'll go first....

I work part-time at Starbucks to pay for my bills, living expenses, etc. It's a pretty tight budget.

I also work full-time in a genetics laboratory. I use those paychecks to pay for secondaries/save for interviews.

booswim542 said:
I'll go first....

I work part-time at Starbucks to pay for my bills, living expenses, etc. It's a pretty tight budget.

I also work full-time in a genetics laboratory. I use those paychecks to pay for secondaries/save for interviews.

I sold one kidney so far....im saving the second to pay for plane tickets to go iterview.... :p

Members don't see this ad :)
I repair computers and tutor for money. I saved up money in advance to cover the process, but I don't think it'll be anywhere near enough after interviews (4kish). I'm going to try to borrow some cash from relatives/parents instead of using credit cards, but if it comes down to it I'm charging everything.

I saved some dough from teaching an MCAT class last semester. Oh, the irony.

I had NO idea the whole process would be this expensive though :eek: !

If I have second thoughts about med school, I'll just teach for Kaplan. The pay ain't bad ;) .

I still have some stashed in a CD from high school that I was hoping to blow on a car at graduation. Unfortunately, I turned premed this past year and AMCAS, airlines, and hotels will all devour my meager savings. Oh well, what's a few thousand gone when you'll be signing (hopefully) for about $200K?

I'm selling my body and related "services." I have been told that I'm a really good "bang" for the buck.

But that's only after midnight.

During the day I work full time at AMD.

booswim542 said:
Since these applications cost an arm and a leg, how are you guys paying for the process? What kind of job do you have?

Maybe we can give each other ideas...I know I'm out of them!

Student Loans.

Part-Time Job.

Parents.

Etc.

I am going to fast for a month. I'm not sure how it will turn out. :p

Actually, I TAed in the Winter. I TAed in the Spring. I had a nice $3000 research fellowship for the summer. For the fall I received a $1500 award for research and $500 for travel to a research conference.

So yes... That about covers primaries, secondaries, books, and tuition. For the rest? We will have to see.

Prostitution is always a possibility. :idea:

booswim542 said:
I'll go first....

You are an official member of the legendary barista club.
But of course I am an O.G. on the bar...seeing as how I learned how to make shots manually!!!!...but you are still welcome.

Have you done all of your coffee tasting?

I think stripping would be a little less risky than prostitution. Good tips too...

:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I learned to pull shots manually too! Awe, I am so glad to be part of the club.

Full-time job.
AMEX card with excellent credit limit.

Money from my research internship this summer and taking out a bit more on the student loans this next year in schoool.

riceman04 said:
You are an official member of the legendary barista club.
But of course I am an O.G. on the bar...seeing as how I learned how to make shots manually!!!!...but you are still welcome.

Have you done all of your coffee tasting?

Caribou Coffee > Starbucks :D

I used to work there until I landed a lab/research job at school which pays a LOT better. I'll miss the tips though, they helped with parking fees....

I'm basically just going to save up my earnings as much as I can ( which I've already been doing) and put it in a money market for a couple years... it's not going to grow much, but extra little bits help.

Just wondering, anyone know approximately how much they are going to be blowing for apps and travel?

does anyone bartend? i'm thinking of taking it up but unsure whether to get "certified" by one of those online things that has "guaranteed job placement" (i heard that was illegal anyway) or if its a better idea to go to one of the much more expensive bartending schools where i live, with assisted job placement. is anyone a bartender and have any ideas?

I am tentatively counting on about $500 per interview trip - probably more though. I have 2 flight vouchers from getting bumped off a flight earlier this year, so that should help. Also, if I get interviews at the 3 Michigan schools I'm applying too, I'll stay with my parents!

I am applying to 2 schools in DC, one in NC, 3 in VA, and 2 in SC. Maybe I can coordinate some/most of those into one trip, saying I get an invite.

I can't believe how stressful the finances of just applying are!

I'm selling my eggs on ebay.

"MOM! DAD! I NEED YOUR CREDIT CARD AGAIN!!!

HairyCow said:
I saved some dough from teaching an MCAT class last semester. Oh, the irony.

I had NO idea the whole process would be this expensive though :eek: !

If I have second thoughts about med school, I'll just teach for Kaplan. The pay ain't bad ;) .
Haha, same. I paid for Kaplan so it's about time that Kaplan paid me. :cool: I think that if money starts getting tight if and when I'm in med school, I'll probably continue moonlighting over there.

I love you, Kaplan.

sara3426 said:
does anyone bartend? i'm thinking of taking it up but unsure whether to get "certified" by one of those online things that has "guaranteed job placement" (i heard that was illegal anyway) or if its a better idea to go to one of the much more expensive bartending schools where i live, with assisted job placement. is anyone a bartender and have any ideas?

Yep, though I recently resigned from being full-time (4 nights a week) to focus on applications, school, etc. I still help fill in for the occasional time someone is sick or goes on vacation.

I had been there for about 2 years, and I was pulling down about 450 - 500 a week. This helped finance my living expenses, tuition, and books. You have to remember that working in a bar can subject you to a very different cross-section of the population. Sometimes a very not nice cross-section.

Are you a girl? If so, you have a HUGE advantage, really 2 HUGE advantages.

I can't speak for the online stuff, so trust your gut on that. I did the bartending school myself, and it was helpful. I had to work my way up from the very bottom. I applied to 30+ places, finally got a job as a bar-back (the dishwasher/beer-stocker/go-pher), then got promoted about 3 months later. I don't mind saying that I'm pretty dang kick-ass behind the bar. :cool:

If anyone else wants further insights/discussion, PM me.

The best thing to do is to do a summer research program which has a stipend. You are doing research and you get enough money to pay for AMCAS and secondaries.

H_2905_23.jpg

booswim542 said:
I think stripping would be a little less risky than prostitution. Good tips too...

:)

A lot of the time strippers do both. Only the high end clubs earn enough for med school applications so you need to moonlight. Just make sure it's safe sex, and get the money up front. :D

Sugarmommy/daddy?

My poor hubby has to pay for all this and watch the kids when I am interviewing! - but as he is retiring next year and has told me to find a career in which I can "support him in the manner to which he has become accustomed", I guess it all works out in the end. :laugh: