How bad are my OChem grades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

odairfinnick

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an incoming junior who took OChem 1 last year and got a C, the first in what are otherwise all B science grades for me. Because of that, I decided to take OChem 2 over this summer so that I wouldn't be distracted by all my other classes. I just got my last grade before the final, and the absolute best I could do in this class is a B+ (if I got 100% on the final), but more likely it will be closer to a B- (based off of my other percentages).

Between this and my OChem 1 grade, how badly does that affect my vet school chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools have a minimum of a 2.0 in classes to be accepted. I think it matters more what your overall GPA is with these scores included. I struggled, like many, with these two classes. I ended up taking them again with a different professor and significantly improved (2.0 --> 3.5). It also depends on the school too. Some care a lot about grades, where others have a minimum but concentrate more on other areas of the app.

I'm an incoming junior who took OChem 1 last year and got a C, the first in what are otherwise all B science grades for me. Because of that, I decided to take OChem 2 over this summer so that I wouldn't be distracted by all my other classes. I just got my last grade before the final, and the absolute best I could do in this class is a B+ (if I got 100% on the final), but more likely it will be closer to a B- (based off of my other percentages).

Between this and my OChem 1 grade, how badly does that affect my vet school chances?

It's impossible to answer that question, because virtually all schools evaluate candidates more holistically than just "how did they do in OChem".

Sure, lower grades decrease your chances incrementally. But your (depending on where you apply) overall GPA, your pre-req GPA, your last-45 credit GPA, ..., are more important than any particular class or classes. Your veterinary background, your animal experience, how well you write your essays, how well you interview ... those all play into it.

There's just no "useful" answer to your question, sorry. You want the highest GPA you can possibly get, the best test scores you can get, the best PRs you can get, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I made a C in both ochem classes plus a couple other things. It's not like it dooms you. Just try to be a good applicant in other ways and keep the GPA up as best you can despite the Cs.

Deep breaths. It's not as big of a deal as you think. Just move forward.

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed that if you have strong overall, last 45 and science GPAs, schools aren't really going to care how you did in a specific class (assuming you passed all your prerequisites, of course). If you'd like some hope and perspective, you can read about my struggles with organic chem here: Successful Applicant Stats - Class of 2020 And I'm starting second year of vet school in a few weeks!