How bad are these grade repeats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zmkelchn

patagomate
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My question is, how bad will these grade repeats look? I have a few Ws on my transcript and a few horrendous grades (C in Ochem one, F in Calc, and a C in Endocrinology )...and this year I received all three of these grades, so I think it will be a huge red flag. If I do well in the repeats, I should still have a 3.55 to 3.6, with a 3.4 sGPA.

I also am a NCAA Academic All American
1000+ hours of clinical experience
honors college, thesis anticipated
500+ hours of volunteering
Resident Assistant for 2 years
Track/XC for 3.5 years

How bad will this really low semester look, even if I get As in the repeats? I'm don't have any good explanation, it was just a rough semester. I hope that if I can get above a 3.8 these next two semesters, I should still be able to apply despite these bad marks. No MCAT yet, but will be very prepared as it is the only thing that can save me at this point. My sGPA is pretty low because I have a lot of Bs in the sciences. Should Ochem one and two go well, I will have an:
A- -intro chem
B - intro chem 2
A- Physics 1
A Physics 2
A (retake form a C)* - OChem one
A* Ochem 2
B- Zoology
B+ - Cell Bio

Lots of upper level bio classes with B/B+...which I am also unhappy about

Members don't see this ad.

I think you will be okay.

thanks, but even with these repeats in my junior year?! It is most certainly not a lack of caring, but I've been really (and perhaps too involved) in a volunteer Haiti project shipping supplies and starting my cancer research fellowship.

Members don't see this ad :)
B's and up are perfectly fine. Your GPA looks good--a 3.4 sGPA isn't that "low" (mine was a 3.3). You shouldn't stress too much; if you do well on the MCAT, you'll do well on applications, especially with good EC's.

B's and up are perfectly fine. Your GPA looks good--a 3.4 sGPA isn't that "low" (mine was a 3.3). You shouldn't stress too much; if you do well on the MCAT, you'll do well on applications, especially with good EC's.

Yeah I've really got to do well on the MCAT with these class repeats