How bad does a low PAT score (17) look?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

d.jawad

Reaction score
Just took the DAT today and scored a 17 on the PAT section. I was expecting that score because I was having so much trouble on the DAT BC problems and kept scoring between 16-18 so definitely not surprised with my mark. How heavily will the PAT score weigh me down if i managed to score quite well in the other areas? For reference, my others scores were the following:

QR: 20
RC: 24
BIO: 20
GC: 18
OCHEM: 26
TS: 21
AA: 22

I would appreciate any feedback and suggestions on the possibility of a retake. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just took the DAT today and scored a 17 on the PAT section. I was expecting that score because I was having so much trouble on the DAT BC problems and kept scoring between 16-18 so definitely not surprised with my mark. How heavily will the PAT score weigh me down if i managed to score quite well in the other areas? For reference, my others scores were the following:

I would appreciate any feedback and suggestions on the possibility of a retake. Thank you in advance!

17 is not low...

Reactions: 1 user
depends on the school but 17 isn't terrible. You did great overall and should not retake.

Members don't see this ad :)
17 is not low...
Thanks! I thought so too since PAT is pretty hard and not something that anyone can master. But when I posted this on Reddit some people were saying 17 is low and that it could disadvantage me. I'm looking at minimum DAT scores for schools and none seem to have a cut-off of 17 for PAT so I guess I'm okay in that aspect for now. Just wondering what others might have to say

Dude they gave you plenty of advice on reddit. 17 is fine, they don't really care that much about PAT anyway.

Reactions: 2 users
Dude they gave you plenty of advice on reddit. 17 is fine, they don't really care that much about PAT anyway.
Haha thanks for the feedback! You're right, maybe I am being a little paranoid. It's the people that mentioned I would be disadvantaged who are getting to me. But anyways, how would they know? I'll only know once I apply how much that PAT score would affect me.

don't stress haha. I think you're fine. if you're really really worried just pay attention if the school you're applying to has a PAT cutoff but I absolutely really doubt any school has that. I have dental school explorer and trust me I'm seeing most schools taking in people with 15 PAT!

I got into 2 schools last cycle with almost the same scores your did. I also had a 17 PAT. Trust me do not retake. If you’re worried about it, find ways to bring up manual dexterity in your interviews and show your abilities that way

Reactions: 1 users
don't stress haha. I think you're fine. if you're really really worried just pay attention if the school you're applying to has a PAT cutoff but I absolutely really doubt any school has that. I have dental school explorer and trust me I'm seeing most schools taking in people with 15 PAT!
Thanks for the reassurance!

I got into 2 schools last cycle with almost the same scores your did. I also had a 17 PAT. Trust me do not retake. If you’re worried about it, find ways to bring up manual dexterity in your interviews and show your abilities that way
Thats a great idea, thank you so much for the reassurance and the tip

I never scored higher than a 15 and still got it, a lot of schools don’t care. They’re going to teach you to be a dentist, not play with computer generated shapes and they realize that.