How bad does this look on my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apoptosis123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm referring to my research experience. I have 2 (academic) years doing research and I accomplished a decent amount - pub in undergrad journal, 2 presentations (undergrad symposia), 1 grant (from an undergrad organization) , 2 awards at my school. Now for the bad parts. Unfortunately after my first year doing research I wasn't able to continue in the same lab due to a lack of funding that would have prohibited me from continuing to have my own project. Then my position in a second lab was also cut short after 1 year because the researcher overseeing my project didn't have time to assist me with it anymore. Both PI's agreed to write me strong, supportive LOR's.

So I am going to be beginning my 4th year of undergrad with no research position. How bad is this lack of continuity in my research experiences going to hurt me? I was thinking about getting a 3rd research position but that many might just look sketchy. Plus I was planning on graduating in December. Also I already submitted my AMCAS back on June 1 and have completed several secondaries already so extra research would probably go unnoticed. Everything else on my app is very good by the way.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Well it seems that research isn't really required although most applicants tend to have it. You have more experience than me so I think you should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Should you be concerned? Nah

tumblr_lg2idyFyj21qdro83o1_400.gif

You seem to have committed at least a year minimum to each lab, and that should be more than sufficient to establish the sincerity of your interest in research. If any questions are raised regarding the circumstances of your departure, explain as you did here to dispel any suspicions about your being unreliable or non-commital. However, I doubt that you will be asked. As already mentioned, research is not an explicit requirement, and even if it were, you will have already satisfied the relevant criteria. Take on that third gig if you're seriously interested in the work, but it would probably do little to solidify your application.

Keep on keepin' on

Are you trying to go for PhD?

No, just regular MD, but I applied to several research-heavy schools such as the UC's. I did apply broadly, but it seems like continuity in experiences is important for all schools.

Last edited:
No, just regular MD, but I applied to several research-heavy schools such as the UC's. I did apply broadly, but it seems like continuity in experiences is important for all schools.

What is even more important is publications - which you have. Plus you have a good reason to not have continued.

He said publication in undergraduate journal - is that peer reviewed or school? Genuinely curious, because I wrote an article for a hospital, reviewed by MD and PharmD there and then published in their P&T.

You seem to have committed at least a year minimum to each lab, and that should be more than sufficient to establish the sincerity of your interest in research. If any questions are raised regarding the circumstances of your departure, explain as you did here to dispel any suspicions about your being unreliable or non-commital. However, I doubt that you will be asked. As already mentioned, research is not an explicit requirement, and even if it were, you will have already satisfied the relevant criteria. Take on that third gig if you're seriously interested in the work, but it would probably do little to solidify your application.

Keep on keepin' on

what an amazing gif.

Keep on keepin' on

I love this! Well put, Oprah. You have plenty of experience to put you ahead of the game. They will not care about continuity just exposure. I did two completely separate research programs during two of my undergrad summers. They liked that I had research experience, period. :thumbup:

unless you are doing something like phd or mdphd it doesn't matter.

You'll be fine. 2 years already puts you among the top MD applicants (as far as research goes). Definitely don't feel compelled to do a 3rd year if you don't want to, it will have close to no affect on your chances of admissions (because you've already submitted).

Last edited: