How bad is a C+ in Biology II?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kk.21

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I messed up this semester I got a C+ in Bio II. I'm only a sophomore right now but this C has me bugging. I took A&P 1 this semester as well and managed an A- and in the other pre reqs I've taken I've gotten at least a B. I know that I have time to make up for this, but how bad does a C+ for bio look cause it doesn't look like many people post about that compared to getting Cs in other classes, is that because bio isn't a big deal or is that because bio is a big deal?

Members don't see this ad.

I would retake it if possible, especially depending on your cumulative GPA and prerequisite GPA. I have a lower gpa and it makes it much more difficult to get in to schools.

I would retake it if possible, especially depending on your cumulative GPA and prerequisite GPA. I have a lower gpa and it makes it much more difficult to get in to schools.
How low is considered low? I think by the time I'm applying if I do well in everything else I gotta take I can end with a 3.5. I started really slow freshman year so I could make it a steep upward trend from then to the end of junior year. Also I don't know if I can retake it because my summers and winters I have to take other classes I need so I feel like sitting out on retaking it might be better for my gpa.

Members don't see this ad :)
My cGPA is a little under 3.5 and prerequisite ranges from 3.1-3.5, I also have a friend who had a C in chemistry and it made them unable to apply to certain schools because it brought the prerequisit gpa down so much

My cGPA is a little under 3.5 and prerequisite ranges from 3.1-3.5, I also have a friend who had a C in chemistry and it made them unable to apply to certain schools because it brought the prerequisit gpa down so much
Damn 3.5 cGPA makes it very difficult? Do you have a well-rounded application with hours and a solid GRE score?

Making a C certainly isn’t a death sentence. I made a C in Physics 2 with a cGPA of 3.48 and a prerequisite GPA ranging from 3.2-3.6 and haven’t had issues getting into schools. I would recommend focusing on strengthening your GRE score, observation hours, and experiences to be a well rounded applicant. In terms of retaking Bio 2, I’d say it’s unnecessary as long as you do well in other prerequisites and higher level science courses

Reactions: 1 user
It's terrible (I kid). I honestly can't say. I think it depends on how much it affects your cGPA and your pGPA. I honestly thought this was something I was going to have to consider for my physics course, but I ended up pulling an A in it at the end. And when I was considering it, I was told cGPA and pGPA ultimately matter and not the grades of the individual classes themselves unless it's anatomy. Here's what I would do. I'd talk to your adviser and see if you should re-take it before wasting money when it may not be necessary.

Reactions: 1 user
Youll be fine. I got a C+ in Chem 2 and have been accepted into two programs so far. If you do well in everything else you will be fine with one C. Just dont make it a habit.

I’d say no need to retake it unless you don’t get into school your first try. Then go ahead and try to up your GPA, GRE, experiences, etc.. 3.5 is considered competitive, so you’ve got this!

C+ in 1 class should not be a deal breaker and will not throw off your overall GPA or prereques GPA (not even all the school require that bio class I believe). Keep the rest of your grades up and forget about this C+..

Damn 3.5 cGPA makes it very difficult? Do you have a well-rounded application with hours and a solid GRE score?
NOOOOOO!!!!! It will NOT be difficulty for you to get to PT school with GPA 3.5!!!!! You may not get to the cheapest state school that accepts 20 people a year, but there are tens of other schools that will gladly accept you. People with 3.0-3.1 cGPA get accepted (have lower chances though).