• A new admissions hurdle is becoming more common: the CASPer test. Learn more about it at a free webinar hosted by SDN and PrepMatch on May 6th. Register now!
Dec 17, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
So I am currently doing my training and I really enjoy pathology. However, the uncertainty of what comes after training keeps me up at night. How bad is the job market? What helps a Jr pathologist in finding a good position? How much would one make on average after doing a surgical specialty training?.

Pathman1000

2+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2014
Baltimore
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
This question has been asked thousands of times. Pathology, like all specialties, has downsides. For us, this includes commoditization and a chronically horrible job situation. it's your job to determine what your priorities are.

yaah

Boring
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
Fixing in 10% neutral buffered formalin
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
It's decent for good candidates I think, based on our current experience (we have a job ad out, and some of the applicants indicate they have multiple other job offers and/or interviews). But I don't think it's very good for below-average candidates, since we got a bunch of applications that weren't qualified or appropriate.

"Chronically horrible" - no. You could use the words oversupplied or something like that, but I wouldn't use horrible.

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.