How bad is this...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc227

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know I'm just a second semester freshman, but I'm really a freak when it comes to grades. First semester I got a 4.0, but now it looks as though I might get under a 3.5 (but over a 3.0) for the second semester. I have been studying like crazy, and the only thing that will bring my gpa down is my chemistry course. I'm looking at a possible C+ (YIKES). How bad does this look when I apply to med schools? I know I will continue to work hard, but I guess I'm just disappointed in myself and need some encouragement.

Thanks for the feedback in advanced.

Members don't see this ad.

First off, relax.

Second, people still get in with a C+. Beef up your extra curriculars. That C+ is NOT a good thing....how did you get that grade? If it was of your own doing, I'm sorry, but I can't sympathize. (Laziness bugs me, I don't understand it.) If it's because you didn't understand the material, that's a whole different thing all together. Were tutors not available to you? At my school, they offer tutoring out the whazoo..even push it down your throat.

Third, with a C+ in general chem, you're going to have to work VERY hard in organic. Organic chem is a grinder.

Alicia

Don't freak out over one bad grade. It's not the end of the world. BUT -- that said, remember, it's much easier to fix your GPA when you're a freshman then when you have 120 credit hours under your belt. If it's a gen. chem. class you might want to consider repeating it this summer for 2 reasons: 1) Just to fix your GPA, and 2) because the skills you learn in that class are essential to performing well in future classes AND to high performance on the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with Dtreese. You should just take it over again because it will help in the future. And orgo chem really has nothing to do with basic intro chem.

Please refer to "Your chances suck" under the Everyone category of posts.

NLS,

The exact same thing happened to me. I repeated the course, got an A- (after a C-) and moved on with life. Just get the best grades you can after that. I disagree with Snowballz, i thought organic was a lot easier than Gen Chem2, i think gen chm 2 is the hardest class i've taken so far. I 2.7ed that semester freshman year, but i've been a 3.8 since and now have a 3.6, i'm a sophmore. Don't worry, Colorado_2 is being a bit negative. SO just hang in there, if you didn't understand the course, retake it, those concepts don't go away. (equilibrium, kinetics, solubility, etc)

Above all work hard and stay positive. You'll do fine.

Thanks jofr76. If I decide to retake the course (if I do get a C+ I definitely will), how soon should I retake the course?

I'd take the course as soon as you can, while the material is still fresh. It will make the second time that much easier. :)

GChem is too easy for anyone to study like crazy and get a C+ in. You must be studying like crazy is your other classes and ignoring gchem...

The material isn't really hard, but the tests are difficult. I'm not the only one who is doing bad. The averages for two of the tests were 55.4 and 55.5 for the a couple of the classes who took the same test. I'm doing good in recitation and I have a B+ in lab (89.2). Also, the C+ is not definite. I have one more test and I'm studying now; wish me luck!

Schoolboy - Not every gchem class is created equally. At my CC, people from Berkeley and Stanford would take gchem there in hopes of acing it, and most would drop out. The attrition rate was awful. I got a C in both classes. The tests were unbelievably hard, but by the time I got into ochem, I was unbelievably prepared. I ended up with an A and a B.

Now I go to Berkeley, and a friend of mine (who took the same chem classes at the same CC) is in the UCB/UCSF program. She's also a lab TA in ochem, and she reports that Berkeley's labs don't even touch what we went through.

Remember, there is such a thing as grade inflation, and not every school grades the same way. It is *unwise* to make assumptions about someone's work ethic based on your own experience with grades.

Nanon

Nanon is so right. People shouldn't be so fast to assume all schools are like theirs.

IMHO, I would say NOT to retake the class. I received a C+ in 2nd semester of Physics and still got accepted. It was one of four C's I received in college, but the only one out of the pre-med requirements. If you retake the course you had better get an A because ADCOM's will be saying "They took the course twice, I hope they could muster an A the second time around."

I would only retake a course if I got a D or F in it. One average grade will not hurt you, it shows your human...

Dude relax.... a C+ is not the end of the world. Believe me, I had worse and still got in. This does not mean that EVERYBODY should slack and expect success. I had some other *extras* on my application.
Do not withdraw then retake the course. However, if you know you could do better and you have the time, you may retake it. An adcom might be impressed with your tenacity. Then again. . .for crying out loud, this is your first semester!!! Many med school canidates have terrible first year scores (a guy I know got KICKED out of a University because of grades, went to another, regrouped and aced is remaining years and got into medical school). However, remember, the level of forgiveness depends on the school (s) you are looking at. I can't stress that enough!!! My point is a C+ is not the end of the world. You are young have so much going for you as it is.

Hello all. With regard to retaking classes, I would definitely suggest talking to your premed advisor or the dean/director of admissions at any of the schools you are interested in applying to.

I was going to retake some classes, but was advised (quite strongly) not to. Rather, they told me to take upper level classes instead. As other people have said, if you are retaking a class, then you should always do better the second time around. Adcoms like to see that you can handle the material the first time.

That being said, definitely seek out personal advice rather than relying on generalizations here!

Cheers. :p

Originally posted by skelly99:
•I was going to retake some classes, but was advised (quite strongly) not to. Rather, they told me to take upper level classes instead. As other people have said, if you are retaking a class, then you should always do better the second time around. Adcoms like to see that you can handle the material the first time.•

Yeah, that's the same advice that I've heard. And a C+ isn't that bad! I wouldn't worry about it too much. My premed advisor told me that adcoms are a bit forgiving of early mistakes. I got a C+ in my anatomy/physiology class and I was worried (I took it when I first arrived at UNC), but my premed advisor told me not to worry. So don't worry! :)

Karen