How bad will this grade look on my transcript?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deezeer55

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Network

Today I got my grade for Organic Chemistry 2 which got me thinking....

When I was a freshman (my first semester) college was extremely overwhelming. I received a D in general chemistry 1 but I did not get any other C's, D's or F's in that semester. The following semester I bundled up and got an A in gen chem 1 and only got one B that semester. In general chemistry 2 I also recieved an A and in orgo 1 lecture I got an A and also in lab I got an A. In orgo 2 I also recieved both As in lecture/lab. I also tutor general chemistry for the school and in that spring that I retook it I fell in love with general chemistry. My current gpa (without that D) is a 3.72. I am going into my junior year right now so still have to take my DAT. I am wondering how admissions committees will look at this and if this will effect my admissions and if they will question me during interviews. I do not have any C/D/F on my transcript except for the D in gen chem 1 my fall freshman year.

Extra Circulars: -Student Athlete Tutor for Gen chem 1/2
-Undergraduate Research through the Chemistry Department
-Academic Resource Tutor for General Chemistry 1/2 and Orgo 1
-Pre-Dental club
-Leadership Committee
-Teaching Assistant for Human Physiology

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If they ask you about the D, tell them about all the hardship you went through.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that they will understand considering that it was your freshman year and you display a positive trend in your grades! You also tutored gen chem so I'm sure they will notice that and know that you understand the material!

Hello Network

Today I got my grade for Organic Chemistry 2 which got me thinking....

When I was a freshman (my first semester) college was extremely overwhelming. I received a D in general chemistry 1 but I did not get any other C's, D's or F's in that semester. The following semester I bundled up and got an A in gen chem 1 and only got one B that semester. In general chemistry 2 I also recieved an A and in orgo 1 lecture I got an A and also in lab I got an A. In orgo 2 I also recieved both As in lecture/lab. I also tutor general chemistry for the school and in that spring that I retook it I fell in love with general chemistry. My current gpa (without that D) is a 3.72. I am going into my junior year right now so still have to take my DAT. I am wondering how admissions committees will look at this and if this will effect my admissions and if they will question me during interviews. I do not have any C/D/F on my transcript except for the D in gen chem 1 my fall freshman year.

Extra Circulars: -Student Athlete Tutor for Gen chem 1/2
-Undergraduate Research through the Chemistry Department
-Academic Resource Tutor for General Chemistry 1/2 and Orgo 1
-Pre-Dental club
-Leadership Committee
-Teaching Assistant for Human Physiology

Thanks!
There is a reason schools look at average GPA and science GPA.... to avoid this very problem.

no one is gonna care if you've recieved a few Cs, Ds, Fs, etc.... whats important is your overall GPA. Ofc, from a mathematical stand point, a single D or few Cs have severe detrimental impact on the GPA, thats why its highly recommended pre-health students keep their grades up. But at the end of the day, individual grades don't matter much.

OP, I had an "F" on my transcript, you'll be fine

Like @dentalWorks said, individual grades wont matter as much.

Just keep in mind that it doesnt matter what letter grade covers up, cause it seems like you are repeating the courses, what matters in the GPA calculation.
Every course you take will calculate into oGPA and sGPA with exactly the same weight.
So you say there's only 1 D on your transcript right now. All the other C's, D's, and F's will show up when AADSAS calculates your GPA for the dental schools.

I think you have more to worry about than that 1 D on your transcript. Best course right now is to take every class from on now like it's your last attempt, no withdraws, no repeats.

You're fine. I wouldn't talk about hardships if they bring up the grade, though. I'd just say that college took some adjusting, and that you retook the course, made a great grade, and are now even tutoring it. FOCUS ON THE POSITIVES! Not the negatives. :)

However, keep in mind that even though you retook the course, the D will factor into your AADSAS GPA. So, when you say your GPA without it is a 3.72, that isn't accurate. Unfortunately, we don't have the benefit of grade replacements when it comes to applying to dental schools. But, that's not terribly important for you, since your other grade are fine!

Score high on the chemistry section of DAT, get them above 20 at least, and you will be fine.

All your grades will be submitted to AADSAS when you apply so schools will see the D and it will be factored into your GPA. Do not worry about it! A couple of low grades do not ruin your chances of getting an interview/acceptance. If they ask about it during an interview be honest. Find comfort in knowing that most students receive a low grade every now and again, it happens. Dental schools see it all the time with applicants so it is not something new. Just do your best to keep your grades high and you will be fine. :thumbup: