How bad would my transcript look with 3 W's in one semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

missrv

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have decided to do 18 credits in one semester, everything was going great. Then I had surgery and was unable to attend any of my classes for a while. Anyways, now i'm behind and failing a lot of my classes. I've dropped one class so far this semester. I'm thinking of dropping two more classes. Psychology, and child growth. I have a C- on Child growth. This semester is done in 4 weeks. Should i stay in that class and attempt to pull my grade up or should i just drop out of that class now? Deadline for withdraws is nov 30. I only have 1 w on my records but how horrible would my records be with 3 ws in one semester? Especially from a community college :eek:
My grades are stressing me out. Please help

Members don't see this ad.

multiple W's in a row in one semester - with an outstanding record otherwise noted will automatically make them think "Life situations got tough... what was wrong".

If you get lots of W's and your GPA is not even 3.0... It will come across with "Oh, guess he failed again... but this time he learned to get W's instead of F's"

For you - it's hard to say with such little support for your GPA.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Then you'll just have to wait and see. :/

They aren't really seeing your GPA for another 3 years or so anyways. Bring your GPA up and maybe it will be ok. Now if you are starting off at CC and you are struggling (I don't know the details or the extent of your illness) - You may have a long road ahead of you.

Reactions: 1 user
I did something similar to what you did except I decided to get F's instead of W's.

You're gonna regret it when you're in your junior and senior year, I guarantee it. Take the W's but make sure you bounce back next semester.

I did something similar to what you did except I decided to get F's instead of W's.

You're gonna regret it when you're in your junior and senior year, I guarantee it. Take the W's but make sure you bounce back next semester.
Why the heck did you do that?

Why the heck did you do that?

Because when I was 18, I thought participating in the "420 blaze it" life was cooler than going to class. I didn't even know getting "W's" existed.

If I were you, I would just withdraw from the semester entirely citing health reasons. Is there someone you could talk to like an advisor? Ask them about dropping the entirety of the semester. When you're applying, you should explain why you withdrew from your first semester.

If you drop psych, child growth, and the other class, what classes are you still enrolled in?

How are you doing in those classes?
pre-algebra is not a college level class so its not counted into my gpa. Computers i have an A- and I am still unsure about History class. Professor still hasn't told me my grade :/

pre-algebra is not a college level class so its not counted into my gpa. Computers i have an A- and I am still unsure about History class. Professor still hasn't told me my grade :/

If you are taking pre-algebra at your college and are receiving a grade for it, it WILL be counted in your AMCAS GPA. Just a heads-up.

what?
If you are taking pre-algebra at your college and are receiving a grade for it, it WILL be counted in your AMCAS GPA. Just a heads-up.
even if its not a college level math.. How can it be calculated into my amcas GPA but not undergrad GPA?
How can i find out which courses are counted towards my amcas gpa?

what?

even if its not a college level math.. How can it be calculated into my amcas GPA but not undergrad GPA?
How can i find out which courses are counted towards my amcas gpa?

A. Did you take the class in a college or university; b. is there a grade on your undergraduate transcript for the course? If the answer is yes to both, it counts towards your AMCAS GPA.

Schools can decide to exclude any type of course they want from their own undergraduate GPA calculation (as is often the case with pre-college level courses), but AMCAS goes with the guideline above (pretty much).