How badly will my GRE score hurt me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

predpt2189

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I recently took the GRE and got the following score:
Verbal-140
Quantitative-155
Writing-3.0

This is approximately the equivalent on the old scale as a 320V and 720Q

How badly will this affect my chances for admission because my verbal score is low?
 
I recently took the GRE and got the following score:
Verbal-140
Quantitative-155
Writing-3.0

This is approximately the equivalent on the old scale as a 320V and 720Q

How badly will this affect my chances for admission because my verbal score is low?

Depends really, how are your other stats? If your other stats are good, then it shouldn't matter. But if the school you are applying for relies heavily on the GRE, then I'm not sure. I made a 830, thats was the overall total. I still got 2 interviews. But my gpa at the moment was 3.94. 😎
 
Hey, like Onyang said, it does depend on your other stats. I know one school I went to for an open house explained that if you had two outstanding, or above average, stats in either the overall GPA, Pre-req GPA, and GRE you were still a competitive applicant. However, some schools have minimum requirements for GRE verbal and quantitative sections separately so you will have to check with the school. Many schools will simply weed out applicants if they don't meet the minimums and then go back to look at the other areas of their applications. So, you will have to determine what is best for you. I actually took the older version of the GRE twice and improved my score to a competitive one. Most schools will take the higher of your scores anyway; so, if you have time you could also consider retaking it. Which I know is a big pain. But best of luck to you! 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I raised my verbal score 180 points by studying the Kaplan flash cards (old GRE). I still had a terrible score because I freak out at standardized timed test. I got into my first choice school (Mizzou) but it's not one of the top ranked school. My GPA was a 3.77 at the time. It was also my undergrad school. I did get waitlisted but eventually got in.
 
Yeah my GPA stats are good. My overall for PTCAS is a 3.58 but is really much higher because I repeated some classes. Same for my prerequisites. My prerequisite gpa is a 3.83 (not ptcas) and a 3.49 (PTCAS). I have taken the GRE twice and plan on taking it a third time. Its discouraging because some of the programs that I applied to have minimum verbal scores of 400, and since I got a 140 (320) my application automatically gets thrown out. I applied last year to eleven schools and I only got two interviews with zero admission offers and I believe my GRE scores played a big factor in that.