How becoming an EMT will effect my Med School App?

grapp

EMT-A Firefighter
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm a senior in high school who has an ideal path to follow in college; but of course plans can and will change.

One of my plans that isn't as negotiable to me and is something I am very passionate about; becoming an EMT. Hopefully, in the future when receiving my bachelors degree, becoming an emergency room doctor.

Before people start telling me that there is a huge difference between the two, I couldn't agree with you more.

Becoming an EMT will help me with interpersonal skills, patient contact, and ultimately making myself a more experienced worker regarding emergency situations. I think a huge skill is having the ability to adapt to a situation and find a course of action with hesitation. An EMT will allow me to do just that.

I do have a question for the members of the SDN.

How far do I take the career of being an EMT?

- Option #1: I can become an EMT-B (basic level) that will most likely allow me to volunteer at some paramedic stations. This will take me 3 months.
Estimated Cost: 750$-1000$ total

- Option #2: I can become an EMT-A (advanced level) this will most likely allow me to get paid, or volunteer with much more skills and ability. This will take me 6 months / 6 total with EMT-B.
Estimated Cost: 1250$-1500$ total

- Option #3: I can become an EMT- (paramedic level) this will allow me to be paid and have the most advanced education for pre-hospital medicine. This will take me a total of 15-18 months.
Estimated Cost: 2,500$ - 5000$ total

I also have a few degrees I am really deciding on and having a hard time... I have a passion for each and everyone of these degrees. Therefore, I'm now asking what would be the most ideal for medical school?

- Psychology (more math) not sure about that.
- Sociology
- Emergency Management (would allow me to become a paramedic in my degree)

All of these degrees and very valuable degrees that will last me personally, a lifetime.

I'm curious on what people think as I am starting this journey sooner than later, thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: