How beneficial are the EK 1001 books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kk123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read that a lot of people benefited from EK verbal 1001, but I was wondering what people thought about the EK Biology 1001, EK ochem 1001, and EK genchem 1001 questions? Have any of you used them? Were they beneficial? If so, how were they beneficial?

Members don't see this ad.

I've read that a lot of people benefited from EK verbal 1001, but I was wondering what people thought about the EK Biology 1001, EK ochem 1001, and EK genchem 1001 questions? Have any of you used them? Were they beneficial? If so, how were they beneficial?
EK-VR 101 is good. Physics and Gen Chem are ok. Orgo is ok as well for someone who already has a good orgo background. Biology is useless IMO, but it can be ok for someone who is VERY weak in bio...

The EK 101 Verbal is one of the few good resources for verbal practice. In fact, EK 101 Verbal and the TPRH Verbal Workbook are the only two verbal books I've seen highly recommended here on SDN.

On the other hand, the opinions surrounding the EK 1001 books (physics, organic chemistry, chemistry) are quite varying. I've personally used them, as they were recommended by SN2ed as part of the popular SN2ed MCAT study schedule. I'm halfway through the schedule now, and I just decided to stop using them. My complaint, which is similar to others that I've read, is that some of the questions are very poorly written, the majority are way too simple, with a sizable minority being overly complicated and convoluted. The questions are also not in the MCAT style. My advice would be to skip them and replace them with more helpful material that more closely resembles the real MCAT.

To recap: get the EK 101 Verbal, but pass on the EK 1001 series.