How big of an advanatge do I have that my dad is a dentist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dallas14

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody, first time poster...

As the Title says, my dad is a dentist. How big of an advantage is this? Also my uncle (his brother) is a dentist and my mom was a dental assistant and taught dental assisting at a college.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

That will help a little with the experience part in the dental field but it will help alot if your dad has a connection at his old school? your mom might still know some of the staff and could always call. Anything with a connection will help some as long as they dont hate the person.

As the Title says, my dad is a dentist. How big of an advantage is this? Also my uncle (his brother) is a dentist and my mom was a dental assistant and taught dental assisting at a college.

Thanks!

That's a very good question I think!!! It could be good and bad! My best friend who is D2 at Nova right now; his parents are both dentists. He told me they really questioned him on his interviews about his parents being dentists and he said he's definitely sure that he got rejected from two schools just because of that reason!!! I guess they want to make sure it's your own decision and no one is pressuring you to get into dentistry!!! On the other hand, I think it's good because you grow up with it and have a better knowledge of how things go with being a dentist on a daily basis!!! So, it could go bothe ways!
Personally, two of my uncles and 5 cousins are dentists and I never mentioned it in my PS nor application!!! lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, it doesn't really help or hurt that much. Dental Schools just want to know that you aren't going to drop out and having a parent in the field helps with them to know that.

But seriously, don't believe all the BS, it really doesn't matter.

It can be very helpful in the fact that you should have tons of experience, and really know what your getting into.

If you had participated (shadowed) your dad's practice it will obviate the need to convince adcoms that you have an idea of what dentistry is about and are aware of what you are getting yourself into. Being born in a dental family will not likely to serve as a substitute for mediocre gpa/dat scores.

If you had participated (shadowed) your dad's practice it will obviate the need to convince adcoms that you have an idea of what dentistry is about and are aware of what you are getting yourself into. Being born in a dental family will not likely to serve as a substitute for mediocre gpa/dat scores.

Also if you shadow relatives, and for lets say 1000 hours, adcoms will assume that your lying even if your not. I don't think schools will look at your dad being a dentist in a bad way. Just don't seem like your pressured into it.

HUGE I didn't realize it before I matriculated. I got asked at nearly every interview, even though my parent's occupations were written right on my adsas Some friends of mine tallied it up one day and over a third of my class was directly related to a dentist, almost entirely mommies and daddies. I know your parents influence you, but don't you think that's a little high? Dental school is a huge family of people who like to keep those stuff going. It's the same in medicine, but I would say not as prevalent.

A friend at my school had a 3.0 GPA and 18 DAT, got into a variety of schools because both parents were Dentists!

make sure that if you apply to a parent's or relative's dental school that they are active paying alumni or part of the alumni association - legacy means a lot at some schools

HUGE I didn't realize it before I matriculated. I got asked at nearly every interview, even though my parent's occupations were written right on my adsas Some friends of mine tallied it up one day and over a third of my class was directly related to a dentist, almost entirely mommies and daddies. I know your parents influence you, but don't you think that's a little high? Dental school is a huge family of people who like to keep those stuff going. It's the same in medicine, but I would say not as prevalent.

I think that shows more that there is a large percentage of applicants that are following in mom and dads footsteps, not that mom &/or dad being a dentist helps your application. My old dentist had 8 kids, 6 of which were pre-dental. None of them got in despite average scores, and above average dental experience.

If you're expecting that noting on your application that your parents are dentists will help you, think again. It may show an earlier exposure to the field than other students but that's all it does. It takes hard work and dedication to get into dental school. Your parents won't compensate for a lack luster DAT score or GPA, and if your intentions of becoming a dentist aren't genuine or your own, forget about it.

Thanks!
My Father is a dentist also and most of the schools unless it is the one they attended could care less. But some schools legacy is a big thing

My father is a dentist, who graduated from Georgetown's program (no longer exhists), so there is no "legacy". Anyway, like others said, its great from an experience standpoint. You have an opportunity to work in an office all the time. However, it is not going to suddenly make up for a sub 3.0GPA or anything like that. But hey, if you are already a good applicant, having the extra experience can already help! right?

My father is a dentist, who graduated from Georgetown's program (no longer exhists), so there is no "legacy". Anyway, like others said, its great from an experience standpoint. You have an opportunity to work in an office all the time. However, it is not going to suddenly make up for a sub 3.0GPA or anything like that. But hey, if you are already a good applicant, having the extra experience can already help! right?

It is also an opportunity to say that you shadowed 1000 hours each year.;)
I don't have that gift.