How 'bout a little love for SABA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDANDERSON'SBOY

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I see that so much attention is given to Ross and SGU throughout these threads, and I was hoping to get some specific feedback about SABA. The one thing that stands out in my mind about this school is the fact that class sizes avg 45-70 students as compared to the hundreds that enter with each class and ROSS/SGU. This fact alone makes the school more appealing to me. In theory this would mean that there would be fewer students competing for rotations during the final two years. Does anyone know if that is the case? Anyone have any knowledge of the facilities at SABA? Tuition is substantially lower at SABA and I didn't know if classes were taught in grass huts or something. Any information would be helpful. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

And look at the Step 1 scores. I just got word that another student popped the 254/99 mark.

Once again I can't think of or know of any Saba grad that didn't pass and do really well on Step 1.

Thats the reason I'm here, plus the lower tuition, why pay more? Still don't get it.

I am currently in my clinicals and would have to state that Saba provdies an excellent Basic Sciences education and vast opportunities during the lcinical years. The physicians respect the education we have received and appreciate the tenacity and dedication seen in our work.

The facilities in Saba are conducive to a Basic Sciences education. Meaning:
1) The island is quiet and the locals are friendly; it is very safe!
2) The school is clean and the classes average 60-70 students
3) The profs have an open door policy and welcome outside classroom discussions
4) The technology has been significantly improved in the past one year.
5) A new dormitory was built this year for 1st semesters - there is good housing on the island (albeit you have to look early)
6) The list goes on and on...

Don't hesitate to email me or visit my personal website for more info

Cheers!

Members don't see this ad :)
And look at the Step 1 scores. I just got word that another student popped the 254/99 mark.

Once again I can't think of or know of any Saba grad that didn't pass and do really well on Step 1.

Thats the reason I'm here, plus the lower tuition, why pay more? Still don't get it.

What's a step 1 score? Is Saba hard to get into? Like do you need a high GPA and MCAT?

You should check out the valuemd threads, they seem to be somewhat extensive on MCATS and GPA for various schools including SABA.

But if you had to choose between Saba and a DO school, what would you do?

I really don't care about the MD/DO label, I just want the best chance for applying broadly to allopathic programs and competitive specialties, either MD or DO.

then either school won't matter. Both are looked down upon. Which one is looked down up more is a toss up from program to program. Some might look at one student better than the other.

I would say DO though cause you can always apply for DO residencies as well.
Don't have the issues associated with living overseas in a different country. Better opportunities for clinical rotations.

then either school won't matter. Both are looked down upon. Which one is looked down up more is a toss up from program to program. Some might look at one student better than the other.

I would say DO though cause you can always apply for DO residencies as well.
Don't have the issues associated with living overseas in a different country. Better opportunities for clinical

Members don't see this ad :)
honestly, going through the match now step 1 isn't an equalizier that suddenly makes US residencies see you as an equal. I'm learning that hard lesson right now.

I've met and rotated with students from SABA, Ross, AUC, SGU, Spartan, Windsor?, St Eustaciaus?, MUA-Nevis, HOPE (Poland?) and St Christopher(I think).

Scores have ranged to not taking the exam in clinicals yet to some having scored as high as the 250s. But when it comes to certain residencies they don't care what school is what. You're not an american graduate and thats all it comes down to. You could come from one of the most prestigious schools in england and some program directors would hold that against you as a negative.

So yes, its looks down upon. Just like coming from SGU is looked down upon. Some places might prefer one school or the other because of previous residents or whatever reason, but on the whole SABA is looked down upon. SGU is looked down upon. Ross is looked down upon.

SABA is a good school, but I'd never put a Caribbean school as one of the best in the world.

IM = internal medicine (as in the residency)

Hello there,

I am a very confused pre-med student who is unsure of the average GPA required for SABA admission. I've been hearing that it's becoming very competitive now (from SABAMED)...Just out of curiosity, can some of the recently accepted members tell me what their GPA's and extracurricular activities were? This will help me gaze where I need to be when I apply...

Thanks in advance....

Hello there,

I am a very confused pre-med student who is unsure of the average GPA required for SABA admission. I've been hearing that it's becoming very competitive now (from SABAMED)...Just out of curiosity, can some of the recently accepted members tell me what their GPA's and extracurricular activities were? This will help me gaze where I need to be when I apply...

Thanks in advance....

There is alot of applicants for 70 seats so you can figure it out. If you were on the admissions committee and had literally 1000's of applications for a few seats who would you take? I know I would take the cream of the crop. So out of 2000+ applications your going to have some with 3.9 GPA's and 32+ MCAT scores. Thats who I would take. Why take a chance on some dog when you can take a Horse? Saba doesn't need to give handouts anymore, they can take the very best now and they are. So if you have less than 3.5 GPA and less than a 29 MCAT I wouldn't apply. Now on the record Saba would love everyone to apply and think they have a chance but why? Why would they do that? Because 3000 applicants X 50 bucks. Thats alot of money. So there you go in a Nut shell. Now If I applied now would I get in? Probably not to be honest:eek: , they are rejecting Chiropractors and professionals that you would have never though of getting rejected.

There is alot of applicants for 70 seats so you can figure it out. If you were on the admissions committee and had literally 1000's of applications for a few seats who would you take? I know I would take the cream of the crop. So out of 2000+ applications your going to have some with 3.9 GPA's and 32+ MCAT scores. Thats who I would take. Why take a chance on some dog when you can take a Horse? Saba doesn't need to give handouts anymore, they can take the very best now and they are. So if you have less than 3.5 GPA and less than a 29 MCAT I wouldn't apply. Now on the record Saba would love everyone to apply and think they have a chance but why? Why would they do that? Because 3000 applicants X 50 bucks. Thats alot of money. So there you go in a Nut shell. Now If I applied now would I get in? Probably not to be honest:eek: , they are rejecting Chiropractors and professionals that you would have never though of getting rejected.

What the hell are you talking about? An applicant with a 3.9 GPA and 32+ MCAT is highly competitive for a US Allopathic school, let alone a Caribbean school. Why would someone with those scores even waste his or her time and apply to a Caribbean medical school when they can avoid all the later hurdles in life and attend a medical school in the US?

Seriously SabaMed, it's good to have school pride, and I'm sure Saba is a good institution, but don't be blind to the facts and mislead the OP.

To the OP: Almost all Caribbean schools are vague about their GPA and MCAT requirements. My best advice to you is to apply with whatever GPA/MCAT scores you have and see if you get accepted. Honestly, you have nothing to lose (except application fees) and if you are applying to one of the "big 4". The biggest challenge is mentally preparing yourself to attend medical school in a foreign country. Good luck.

What the hell are you talking about? An applicant with a 3.9 GPA and 32+ MCAT is highly competitive for a US Allopathic school, let alone a Caribbean school. Why would someone with those scores even waste his or her time and apply to a Caribbean medical school when they can avoid all the later hurdles in life and attend a medical school in the US?

Seriously SabaMed, it's good to have school pride, and I'm sure Saba is a good institution, but don't be blind to the facts and mislead the OP.

To the OP: Almost all Caribbean schools are vague about their GPA and MCAT requirements. My best advice to you is to apply with whatever GPA/MCAT scores you have and see if you get accepted. Honestly, you have nothing to lose (except application fees) and if you are applying to one of the "big 4". The biggest challenge is mentally preparing yourself to attend medical school in a foreign country. Good luck.

Ummm The candiates are from Canada. I guess its even more difficult to get into Canadian med schools than American schools. So your basically ignorant:laugh: , sorry, do some research before you open your pie hole up:scared: . Sure apply and spend the 50 but your not getting in if you have crappy stats.

Ummm The candiates are from Canada. I guess its even more difficult to get into Canadian med schools than American schools. So your basically ignorant:laugh: , sorry, do some research before you open your pie hole up:scared: . Sure apply and spend the 50 but your not getting in if you have crappy stats.

That's absolutely ridiculous that you would have that many applicants with 3.9 gpas and 32+ mcats applying to SABA. I know they exist but they are not the majority. And they are not the average canadian applicant. At SGU we had a lot of canadians, but they did not all have near 4.0s and 30+ mcats. This number is near ridiculous. From what I can remember of my classmates (SGU) we mostly had had either decent gpas 3.6ish with a lower mcat score 24, or a lower gpa 3.1 to 3.2 with a better mcat 30-31.

what better? SABA or Ross?

As far as I know, Saba is the best in the caribean, and some say the world.

This person called SABA and was told they do not need an MCAT whats this all about? DOes SABA want to loose the Cali approval? They will if the admit to many without an MCAT.

As far as I know, Saba is the best in the caribean, and some say the world.
Are you trying to be funny? Because your not, it's not funny for you to post this over and over again when serious people are reading these posts,

Best Medschools in the WOrld come to mind as Johns Hopkins, Harvard, Yale, Mayo ect. Saba is so far down the list it's not funny at all. We all know that and understand that the school is a good school just not the best. Please try to hold down the comments it's getting annoying now.................................:smuggrin:

Are you trying to be funny? Because your not, it's not funny for you to post this over and over again when serious people are reading these posts,

Best Medschools in the WOrld come to mind as Johns Hopkins, Harvard, Yale, Mayo ect. Saba is so far down the list it's not funny at all. We all know that and understand that the school is a good school just not the best. Please try to hold down the comments it's getting annoying now.................................:smuggrin:

Sorry.

what better? SABA or Ross?

Ross is better established and appears to have a a greater number of affiliated hospitals Stateside in which to secure a good residency programs. I might feel a bit safer in my career from that perspective. Also, if you're applying as a U.S. citizen, you may qualify for financial aid at the federate level. I believe that SABA is still requiring its student to take out personal, credit-based loans; On the other hand, I understand that the area is cleaner and more beautiful at SABA; also, the class sizes are somewhat smaller, allowing for better one-on-one assistance from professors...

So, both better in different ways..:idea:

I really do not feel the hospital Affiliation is that big of a deal, Getting a residency really depends on 3 things:

1. Are they FMG and IMG friendly?
2. Step 1 score
3. Your interview for the residency.

Then maybe if there are Grads in the residency program, from a Caribbean school ( Yours) you apply for and that these grads are good residents.

Yes I agree any of the Big 4 will be a good choice but too many ( Who are not in residency and a lot who are not even in Medschool) Post this opinion of which school for which residency, Hey go to an American Medical school if you want the best residency, if you just want to be a Doc then be prepared to take the less sought after residencies thats the cost of going to the Caribbean. :D

Look no problem just that I'm not at a Big 4 school, I'm at another Caribbean school and I really see only a slight advantage at one of the big 4, in the end the US grads get their picks and we get the rest, the only way to out do a US grad is do better on the step one and make good contacts and impressions.
Pre Match is the way to go.:rolleyes:

SO to post over and over again "the best" just feels like salt in a wound.