How can HPSP students fly Space Available

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zibba-zabba

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard, and read on the Space website http://www.spacea.info/ that we can fly standby "space-A" for free. There is some paperwork that needs to be filled out though. Who do the Medical School HPSP students need to sign the papers in order to fly?

Members don't see this ad.

I had the form signed by the OIC of the local health care recruiting command. Then I found out that the base within driving distance only had one flight per week, so I never actually tried it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was hoping to get a response from someone who actually knew the regulations for HPSP and Space A.

Don't be such a smart ...

But in any case...it appears I stand corrected...although...your travels as a reservist are rather limited...you can only fly CONUS. I'm not quite sure why someone would want to fly space A CONUS...but do enjoy yourself.

rotatores
USUHS 2006

Anyways, does anyone out there know the procedure HPSP students need to go through in order to fly Space A? It would be nice to save $400 on a plane ticket this Summer if I can. Us HPSP students don't get the nice paychecks you big boys do at You Shoes.

zibba-zabba said:
Anyways, does anyone out there know the procedure HPSP students need to go through in order to fly Space A? It would be nice to save $400 on a plane ticket this Summer if I can. Us HPSP students don't get the nice paychecks you big boys do at You Shoes.

Have you tried google? This took about 0.02 seconds to find

http://www.afit.edu/sc/AFIT publications/36-101afiti.pdf (Chapter 6 if you don't feel like reading)

From the Army HPSP manual:

"4-17. SPACE AVAILABLE (SPACE A) TRAVEL ON MILITARY AIRCRAFT. Travel by Space A is available within the United States and is not permitted for family members. Space A travel can be inexpensive, but flights may be canceled without notice. Submit a written request to: Commander, AHRC, ATTN: AHRC-HST (HPSP), 1 Reserve Way, St. Louis, MO, 63132-5200, for authorization for space available travel. For information regarding requirements, contact the AHRC Incentives Team at (800) 325-4729, menu option 5, then and menu option 2. Students must be in uniform (verify correct type, class A or B, etc. before departing), have a valid ID Card and written authorization (travel orders) to travel."

Have a safe, fun trip.

I have flown SpaceA multiple times to and from Hickam in the past two years. You don't need to fill out any paperwork (at least I never have). Just make sure you have your ID with you, that is the only thing they will ask for. You are NOT restricted to CONUS, can fly to any US territory (Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico, etc.) You will fly as a reserve officer Category VI since you are commissioned not as a student (students=ROTC). You will need to signup (via email/fax) at any base you would want to fly out of in order to set your priority date/time. With the current Optempo it is pretty easy to catch a flight out of the major bases due to medevac/deployments. Since 9/11 getting flight schedules is a little more difficult (impossible beyond 48 hours out) but I have a list of most of the flight available recording number if you are interested. I typically fly out of Andrews or Dover, connect through Scott, Kelly, or Travis when going to Hickam. If you have any other questions check out the site SpaceA Info or PM me. Good luck!