How can I get a good feel of how...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedwannabe

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
it's like to be a dentist? I would really appreciate it if you guys can tell me what's the best way to preview the various fields of being a dentist. I want to get a feel of each field to see if it will spur some interests. For example, I would like to see how it is to be in pediatrics vs surgery vs cosmetic etc.

I am about to volunteer at the stony brook dental, but I was informed that I would only be able to observe and nothing else.

Will this allow me to see all the different fields or is it better to volunteer at a couple of private clinics that specialize in different fields?

All your feedback will be helpful

Thanks,
Henry

Members don't see this ad.

premedwannabe said:
Will this allow me to see all the different fields or is it better to volunteer at a couple of private clinics that specialize in different fields?

All your feedback will be helpful

Thanks,
Henry

That's your answer right there Henry. Observing at a dental school is a great way to see what the life of a dental student is like. For someone like yourself who is trying to see if the interest is there, try to observe in private practice to see if you would really like the day to day business of being a dentist.