How can I get involved at hospitals with volunteer positions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KJD Doctor

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to get a jump start on my shadowing of positions and general hospital etiquette and procedure but don't know where to begin. I know medical terminology fairly well (can brush up on it), have decent school schedules (both for this summer and fall), and have previous job experience (non medical) that has trained me in responsibility and hardwork.

-Which positions would I be suited for?
-How do I go about applying for these positions?

Members don't see this ad.

I want to get a jump start on my shadowing of positions and general hospital etiquette and procedure but don't know where to begin. I know medical terminology fairly well (can brush up on it), have decent school schedules (both for this summer and fall), and have previous job experience (non medical) that has trained me in responsibility and hardwork.

-Which positions would I be suited for?
-How do I go about applying for these positions?

1. Any volunteer position at a clinic, hospital, etc. If you want something more patient involved then you can try to get a CNA or EMT certificate.
2. Call your local hospital's volunteer coordinator. That information should be available online. In my experience, volunteer positions aren't too hard to get as many just require a background check and a short orientation to get started. Your best bet is to begin calling around and see who fits best with your schedule/interests.

I always found this helpful. Call any hospital and ask them the same question. They’ll usually forward you to the right department. Also, whenever your next visit to see a doctor tell them you’re interested in medicine and they’ll usually be ecstatic to help in any way.

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't need medical terminology or any type of experience to be a volunteer. And yes they will pay for TB tests. When you go in for an interview just express your desire for medical school and the opportunity to get experience with patients and healthcare professionals.

Reactions: 1 user