how can i get to dental school sooner?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biofilm preventer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey, i am going to apologize for the grammar in this thread as i am not going to put time in to placing proper commasand run on sentences lol.
so i am in undergrad, i have already taken bio 1 and 2, chem 1 and i am currently in chem 2 right now and i got an A-/A in each science class so far and my gap is sitting at a 3.6. just though i to bring that up even though that s not my point of thread.
i am wondering if there is anyway that i can be in dental school by september of 2019. right now it is may 2018.
i plan on taking either orgo or physics this summer semester and then i will take the other in the fall/spring of this year. however, i took only immunology and microbio (A and A-). so for my school i need 3 more science classes in order to graduate with major in bio. so i plan on taking 3 more sciences next fall/spring, that way i will be done with my major. however, this will be extremely hectic because i will be taking either physics or orgo, and then 2 more science classes, and also i will be taking just a few classes to finish up my cores for my school. so i want to know when is the latest time to take the DAT in order to be in dental school for next september. i real just want to finish undergrad and don't want to have to wait a whole extra year to be in dental school.
these are my 2 alternatives.
1. i can take orgo 1 and 2 this summer, take a few cores and science class in fall/spring while also studying for dats and i will then take Dats in around may/june time. and then i will take physics and whatever few classes are left next fall and spring (which will not be so many classes so its basically a gap year which i will spend working.) and this will place me in dental school in september of 2020
or option 2. i take orgo 1 and 2 or physics 1 and 2 this summer, finish up all of my cores, an as well take the Dat all in time to be in dental school next september. is that even possible?? (if so when is latest to take Dat in order to be in school by september 2019) i know its going to be redcioulously tough but i just want to be in dental school already because right now i am 22 years old and turning 23 in september, and if i don't get all this done for this september, than that means i will be 25 in my first day of dental school (September 2020.) is that bad???
please advise me on what to do and if i should really be as worried as i am now to be in dental school in 2020 instead of 2019. is it the end of the world if that happens to be the case that turns out?
once again sorry for grammar and spelling lol. just has a lot to get off my chest

Members don't see this ad.

Look at the prerequisites for the schools you are interested in and see what else you need to take. They only require that you complete all prerequisites by the time you matriculate. So far science wise it looks like you just have orgo 1& 2 physics (some schools require 2 units) and Biochem. If you can fit that all into one year and do well in the classes then go for it. But if your gpa and dat score will suffer from this it would just be best for you to apply the next cycle and use that year off to really make sure you’re sending the best application you possibly can. Also don’t feel so rushed to go to dental school early. You’re time will come. Only apply when you are ready and are confident that you have a good chance of getting in.

Reactions: 1 user
Look at the prerequisites for the schools you are interested in and see what else you need to take. They only require that you complete all prerequisites by the time you matriculate. So far science wise it looks like you just have orgo 1& 2 physics (some schools require 2 units) and Biochem. If you can fit that all into one year and do well in the classes then go for it. But if your gpa and dat score will suffer from this it would just be best for you to apply the next cycle and use that year off to really make sure you’re sending the best application you possibly can. Also don’t feel so rushed to go to dental school early. Your time will come. Only apply when you are ready and are confident that you have a good chance of getting in.

This right here

Members don't see this ad :)
You do not have to graduate college to go to dental school. Of course I think having a college degree may come in handy some day. But you really only need the pre reqs complete by the time you start D school.

The grammar in this thread isn’t that of a person who doesn’t want to put time into writing, it’s either that of a foreigner or a 10 year old. I wish I could see admissions comittee member’s faces when they read your personal statement.

The grammar in this thread isn’t that of a person who doesn’t want to put time into writing, it’s either that of a foreigner or a 10 year old. I wish I could see admissions comittee member’s faces when they read your personal statement.

forums aren't essays. Its okay to not be eloquent on SDN ;)