General Admissions & OTCAS How can I strengthen my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

madis00

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I recently took the GRE and I am wondering if I should take it again. I have my unofficial GRE scores (159V/153Q) and I am still waiting for my AWA. I am applying for this upcoming cycle and I was hoping for some wisdom about the GRE and anything else to strengthen my application. Thank you in advance!

Undergrad University: University of Georgia, class of Fall 2018
Major: Human Development and Family Science; Certificate: Disability Studies
Overall GPA undergrad: 3.78 (+/- scale)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.66 (with +/- scale, need to take Medical Terminology)
GRE: 153Q, 159V (both unofficial- I just took it this week), guessing about a 4.0AWA
Letters of Rec: 1 OT (may do 2), 1 Professor (I also work for her), and either another OT or my supervisor at a summer camp I work at!

Direct OT Observation: total of about 185 hours
  • 115 hours in pediatric outpatient (three different locations)
  • 48 hours at a hand therapy clinic
  • 20 hours at a SNF
  • 4 hours in work conditioning
Extra-Curric/Work/non OT volunteer:
  • 840 hours at camp for teens with disabilities (1 year as counselor, 1 year as lead counselor, 1 year as camp director)
  • 20 weeks of music therapy observation (at camp)
  • 20 hours volunteer at hippo-therapy with a SLP
  • 100 hours of interning and volunteering at a private neurodevelopment school
  • 5 hours observing pediatric PT
  • 2 hours observing Speech
  • 6 hours observing ABA
  • Vice President of Academic Affairs for my sorority
  • Treasurer for my college FACS Honors society
  • Pre OT club member
  • I work for the Institute on Human Development and Disability at UGA

Members don't see this ad.

I feel like you have solid stats and experience to at least grant you an interview if not get in to school.
What is important is taking all your experience and being able to communicate your value and your ability to excel in graduate school and in the field of occupational therapy. I wouldn't retake the GRE unless you know for sure there is room to study and grow without sacrificing the things you still have to do. I think your score is good enough if your writing is as good as the quantitative and qualitative. Spend time writing your personal statement and have as many people read it as possible- those that don't know you and what you've done.

Last edited:
Your stats and hours look very strong. A lot of diversity. Like @sngot said, communicating your value is very important in graduate school...annnnd pretty much the rest of your life. It's important in your essay to include what you bring to the table and how that is valuable in the field of OT and what that means for the profession and the people you will treat.

Good luck!

Your stats look great! I would not worry. Just make sure your personal statement is a great and that you apply more then 3 schools.