How can practicing OD's stop the new school from opening up

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hello07

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
this upcoming summer? The AOA is doing nothing about oversupply of OD's. 4 new optometry schools is killing us. How we can put a stop to this greediness of academic educators? Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

You cannot stop these schools from opening, there is just too much money to be made. Only way to strictly monitor the supply of OD is to have mandatory residency to practice. When prospective students find out there will around 1500 graduates from 20+ schools fighting for roughly 600 residency spots, they won't be so keen on going to these new schools or into optometry.

Last edited:
this upcoming summer? The AOA is doing nothing about oversupply of OD's. 4 new optometry schools is killing us. How we can put a stop to this greediness of academic educators? Any advice?

Well...I knew some mafia members when I lived in Italy and they always said that firebombs solved most their problems.

Members don't see this ad :)
Raise NBEO standards. Prevent more students from passing the boards.

Create guidelines for schools to have minimum clinical procedures required before graduation. (5 foreign body removals, 15 lacrimal dilation & irrigation procedures done, 100 gonioscopies, 10 epilations, 25 punctal plugs instilled etc. etc. these are just random numbers I made up)

I think the AOA is hearing its rank & file's complaints & is starting to do something (much to late IMO).
They're starting a new manpower study that will show the huge oversupply coming down the pipeline.

They also have influence with the acreditating body ASCO and can pressure the NBEO as well.

I'd be really nervous if I was attending one of these new unacreditted (and provisional acreditation doesn't count despite what their admission staff says!).

Won't be surprised if an entire class finds itself unable to get licensed to practice or having to repeat an entire year.

ONLY A FOOL WOULD CHOOSE A NEW SCHOOL IF ACCEPTED ELSEWHERE.

Probably nothing. The only thing I can think of is if employing doctors simply come right out and say that they won't hire graduates of the new schools.

As someone stated, there's a lot of money involved in opening these new schools but the best way is to spread the word. Educate your colleagues to drop their AOA membership and instead give the money to their PAC or join the group AOS. Educate prospective students on the realities facing them instead of replying with the default "my career is Tony the tiger Greeaaat".

At least these are steps I have been taking.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your input. As a member of the AOA along with my local state association for many years, I dropped my membership this year. Did not pay my dues and I regret paying a total of appx $30,000.00 maybe more over a span of almost 2 decades. I realiand all this too late. The AOA President, the board members and all involved look out for their best interest not ours. From my understanding, they have lost a significant amount of membership throughout the United States this year. I'm happy to hear that! Don't join and don't renew!