How can we get transfer coupons outlawed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leah27

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really hate transfer coupons. I have decided to make it my personal vendetta to get these outlawed--- but I have no idea how. Does anyone have any ideas? I know they are illegal in certain states; anyone have insight into how they were made illegal? Can we start some kind of grassrooots pharmacist movement to destroy these--- anything?? Thanks in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Bring up safety issues and point out that they encourage patients to use multiple pharmacies.

Hire assassins to go after CEOs whose companies use tx coupons. And make sure everyone knows about it...start with the coupons...we goin' Kill Bill on your ass...

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck. As much as I hate them too, they're not going anywhere. But if you wanna play the blame game, I think CVS was the first to use this particular tactic.

lol---- thanks for the suggestions- I am kinda serious though, there has to be SOMETHING we can do right??? no pharmacist likes these or thinks they are a good idea at all do they?

they came in handy when i was broke as a joke in college (hell, i'm broke now, haha)... when my office visit copay was $10 and Rx was $5, a "new Rx" coupon for $25 means I basically netted $10 for being sick.

from a business stand point, it's genius... the customer thinks they're getting $25 worth of stuff but it only cost the company $10-12 in goods.

but yeah i hate them too...bring up the use of multiple pharmacies and that by banning EVERYONE from using coupons, no one gets any advantage. If anything, ban transfer coupons, but "new Rx" coupons are okay.

from a business stand point, it's genius... the customer thinks they're getting $25 worth of stuff but it only cost the company $10-12 in goods.

Nah, doesn't even cost them that much. With the profit they make on that Rx(s) that you just transfered to them, I'm sure they lose absolutely nothing on many of those transactions.

When I told Welfare-Baby-Mama that government aid programs didn't qualify for the free gift card program, she flipped out on me. "I ain't on Welfare!" "I gots IN-surance." "It don't say that the coupon." I pointed out the sentence in the fine print that disqualified her AND read the entire disclaimer out loud so I wouldn't be discriminating against middle school drop-outs. She insisted I page the manager of the store who of course knew nothing about program and told me to give her the gift card, thus making me look like an idiot. After that, I gave gift cards out to everyone hoping the store would go bankrupt.

When I told Welfare-Baby-Mama that government aid programs didn't qualify for the free gift card program, she flipped out on me. "I ain't on Welfare!" "I gots IN-surance." "It don't say that the coupon." I pointed out the sentence in the fine print that disqualified her AND read the entire disclaimer out loud so I wouldn't be discriminating against middle school drop-outs. She insisted I page the manager of the store who of course knew nothing about program and told me to give her the gift card, thus making me look like an idiot. After that, I gave gift cards out to everyone hoping the store would go bankrupt.
I sure hope you didn't give her the gift card just because some high school dropout store manager told you to. You realize it is illegal, right?

Nah, doesn't even cost them that much. With the profit they make on that Rx(s) that you just transfered to them, I'm sure they lose absolutely nothing on many of those transactions.

Yeah, don't most retail stores make most of their $$ in general goods? I was under the impression Rx's were slowly trending toward loss leader status.

Profit margin on cheese puffs >>> profit margin on lisinopril.

For the store, the worst customer is the one who comes in with 1 script (brand) and a coupon, and only uses the gift card up to its amount ($25). The best (and common) will be the one who transfers in 4-5 generic scripts with only 1-2 coupons covering it, and spend $50 on crap because, "Hey, I have a gc, it's half off!"

I suggest that pharmacists start handing out $10 cash coupons to patients to encourage them to stop transferring prescriptions from one pharmacy to another. that way everybody wins! patients stop dying, people save $10, and business goes back to being fair.

Who do you work for that the store manager can override you like that? Did you point out to the store manager that he/she/it committed a federal crime. The reason the disclaimer is on he coupon is that it is a violation of Federal law and your store manager committed welfare fraud. Tell it to go out front and stack some toilet paper & leave the important stuff to you.

they came in handy when i was broke as a joke in college (hell, i'm broke now, haha)... when my office visit copay was $10 and Rx was $5, a "new Rx" coupon for $25 means I basically netted $10 for being sick.

but yeah i hate them too...bring up the use of multiple pharmacies and that by banning EVERYONE from using coupons, no one gets any advantage. If anything, ban transfer coupons, but "new Rx" coupons are okay.

Imagine that patient is a diabetic with multiple medical problems who now transfers all of their prescription and OTC purchases to you to the tune of $8,000.00 per year. The $25.00 doesn't mean anything does it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Imagine that patient is a diabetic with multiple medical problems who now transfers all of their prescription and OTC purchases to you to the tune of $8,000.00 per year. The $25.00 doesn't mean anything does it?

How many times does that happen compared to the number of times you get some ***** who just transfers their scripts back and forth? I guess with the number of morbidly obese people in this country it may happen more often.

Don't question Old Timer, if what he says seems counter-intuitive to the proper practice of pharmacy it is becasue he is defending CVS. Don't argue, just run away

How many times does that happen compared to the number of times you get some ***** who just transfers their scripts back and forth? I guess with the number of morbidly obese people in this country it may happen more often.[/QUOTE]

:laugh: thats true! but I agree those coupons are a waste of money to the stores b/c people (almost all, if not all) just transfers their prescription back and forward to get a transfer coupon everytime they purchase a rx. The law should at least state, one coupon PER person PER household. I hate it when people transfer 4 rx with 4 coupons. I always have to tell them, Sir, it doesn't matter how many rx you transfer you can only use ONE coupon. They always get piss off at me for stating a policy. :rolleyes:

Don't question Old Timer, if what he says seems counter-intuitive to the proper practice of pharmacy it is becasue he is defending CVS. Don't argue, just run away

Do you want to outlaw all advertising for pharmacies, doctors, etc. If you do, that's fine with me. Once the Supreme court ruled it was legal and I remember when it was not, than don't criticize large pharmacy chains. What is the proper practice of pharmacy?

Wtf? Are you a pharmacist? Did you pass your law? There is a reason why there are legal disclaimers on the coupon... it is not up to the manager to decide.

Do you want to outlaw all advertising for pharmacies, doctors, etc. If you do, that's fine with me. Once the Supreme court ruled it was legal and I remember when it was not, than don't criticize large pharmacy chains. What is the proper practice of pharmacy?

What does advertising have to do with anything? The coupons encourage using multiple pharmacies which if I remember right is not the proper way to practice pharmacy. I thought we wanted someone to use one store to best take care of them, but I may be wrong. And I have nothing against large chains, I work for one.

It's kinda sad you need to ask how to properly practice pharmacy. Have you not been doing your CEs? I'll try to sum it up in a short sentence. It's acting in the best interest of the patient. I have a problem with large chains acting in a manor which promotes bad practice and then having minions promote their policies blindly. A chain encouraging immunizing pharmacists=good practice. A chain encouraging pharmacy hoping= bad practice.

And that lady with 8,000 dollars of DM meds isn't staying at your store for a year, she's leaving as soon as Walgreens has the coupons.

What does advertising have to do with anything? The coupons encourage using multiple pharmacies which if I remember right is not the proper way to practice pharmacy. I thought we wanted someone to use one store to best take care of them, but I may be wrong. And I have nothing against large chains, I work for one.

It's kinda sad you need to ask how to properly practice pharmacy. Have you not been doing your CEs? I'll try to sum it up in a short sentence. It's acting in the best interest of the patient. I have a problem with large chains acting in a manor which promotes bad practice and then having minions promote their policies blindly. A chain encouraging immunizing pharmacists=good practice. A chain encouraging pharmacy hoping= bad practice.

And that lady with 8,000 dollars of DM meds isn't staying at your store for a year, she's leaving as soon as Walgreens has the coupons.

I cant comment on this since coupons are illegal in my state (NY) due to our one refill transfer limit law and no transfer at all for medicaid. From what I understand, the coupon is a one time thing that is meant for patients to transfer their prescriptions into CVS so that they can fill all of their RXs at one location, or at least so that we know they are on it.

With that said, I got a company memo asking for a lot of pharmacists to run flu clinics for the upcoming flu season. NYS finally allowed immunization... and the awesome part is that we get tons of CE + live credits when we get certified.

First off all, the purpose of the coupon like any other advertisement is to induce the customer to come into your store so they stay in your store. Your argument is because some people abuse the coupons they should be outlawed. People used to advertise prescription prices and the result was the same. Some people went from store to store. The same with the $4.00 generic plans. As much as the world changes, it stays the same. This has been going on for as long as I have been a pharmacist. You live in a capitalistic system and you benefit from living in the system and you have to expect people will act in what they perceive is their best interest. It's up to you as a pharmacist to convince them to stay with one pharmacy and they should choose your pharmacy.

Of course you know the question I asked you was rhetorical. Aside from coupons, what else would you change?

Who do you work for that the store manager can override you like that? Did you point out to the store manager that he/she/it committed a federal crime. The reason the disclaimer is on he coupon is that it is a violation of Federal law and your store manager committed welfare fraud. Tell it to go out front and stack some toilet paper & leave the important stuff to you.

I wish. I was a powerless intern at the time. Besides, the pharmacy had already committed welfare fraud because Welfare-Baby-Mama had received a free gift card the day before for her other sick child. I hope she spent the card on diapers.

I wish. I was a powerless intern at the time. Besides, the pharmacy had already committed welfare fraud because Welfare-Baby-Mama had received a free gift card the day before for her other sick child. I hope she spent the card on diapers.

Where were the pharmacists? If your pharmacists don't protect you from this kind of abuse they are useless....

Powerless? Since when does the store manager have any authority in the pharmacy? Sounds like you must have had a dud or a wuss for a pharmacist.

Powerless? Since when does the store manager have any authority in the pharmacy? Sounds like you must have had a dud or a wuss for a pharmacist.

Not sure about other retail stores, but at Walgreens the Store manager is above the Pharmacy manager. Whatever he says goes. The store manager is the boss.

Not sure about other retail stores, but at Walgreens the Store manager is above the Pharmacy manager. Whatever he says goes. The store manager is the boss.

Except in matters of federal law, when Uncle Sam trumps even the store manager.

He can have all the power he wants, but it's not within his purview to commit insurance fraud.

Nope. The store manager is the boss in terms of business but have no authority in the practice of pharmacy which includes ensuring that the pharmacy follows legal regulations.

If he does, kindly inform him that it is a felony to practice pharmacy without a license and that you are obligated to report him.

Um, in a word, no.

i would LOVE to get in this movt

its ridicolous

Yeah, I think you're right because the store manager receives training for the pharmacy, but the pharmacy manager doesn't receive training for the front. Although, sometimes when I see tension between the store and pharmacy managers, I can never figure out who's got the trump card over who.

Yeah, I think you're right because the store manager receives training for the pharmacy, but the pharmacy manager doesn't receive training for the front. Although, sometimes when I see tension between the store and pharmacy managers, I can never figure out who's got the trump card over who.

The pharmacy manager also receives a PharmD, whereas the store manager gets a GED. The pharmacy manager has the final word in all matters pharmacy. No one cares what goes on in the front.

The pharmacy manager also receives a PharmD, whereas the store manager gets a GED. The pharmacy manager has the final word in all matters pharmacy. No one cares what goes on in the front.
I am going to ask tomorrow I'm getting so curious lol.

Hey, give credit where credit is due... Many of them have associate's degrees.

I am very, very VERY happy I don't work in big box retail.

Hey, give credit where credit is due... Many of them have associate's degrees.
:laugh:

Some have bachelors believe it or not. Some have PharmD's---you can be a dual pharmacy manager/store manager. You gets paaaaid.

I love dropping the F-Bomb in the pharmacy.....Federali bitches!

That ends the conversation right there, if it doesn't, I repeat it again and again and again....

I totally confirmed it today, Store Manager >> Pharmacy Manager at Walgreen's. SM is king. lol. SHC1984 was right!

I totally confirmed it today, Store Manager >> Pharmacy Manager at Walgreen's. SM is king. lol. SHC1984 was right!

I am not saying that the store manager should be over the pharmacy manager. (in fact I don't think its right) however most retails, Walgreens for SURE, has the store manager above the pharmacy manager. I know b/c the store manager at the Walgreens I use to work at doesn't really respect the pharmacy manager and always tells her how to do her job. He yelled at her once for helping me type a script when I was very busy. He told her "you are not following the work flow, the pharmacist NEVER types any scripts, they only verify and consult patients!" He isn't very nice to her at all. :(

It really doesn't matter. There needs to be communication between the front store and the pharmacist in charge. The FSM has to know that his actions may be in violation of the law. It's not something you do in front of the patient/customer. You pull the manager aside and explain the situation.

Problem Number One with Pharmacy as a profession as it pertains to big-box retail: We have zero authority and we garner zero respect from even the people we work around. Hell, even our own organization won't stand up for us.

Coming soon: Subway Sandwich stores in at the pharmacy. Eat Fresh, and now, at select participating Walgreen's and Rite-Aid locations, get your prescriptions filled while you eat!

There'll be a little card like you get for frequently eating there with a place on it for a stamp. Instead of a free sandwich on your 8th sandwich purchase, you'll get a free refill of an Rx.

I am not saying that the store manager should be over the pharmacy manager. (in fact I don't think its right) however most retails, Walgreens for SURE, has the store manager above the pharmacy manager. I know b/c the store manager at the Walgreens I use to work at doesn't really respect the pharmacy manager and always tells her how to do her job. He yelled at her once for helping me type a script when I was very busy. He told her "you are not following the work flow, the pharmacist NEVER types any scripts, they only verify and consult patients!" He isn't very nice to her at all. :(
Wow in front of you? That's cold. If I had to yell at a subordinate I would pull them aside where no one would see. Plus, sometimes the situation warrants for the pharmacist to type! How's Target treating you woman?

It really doesn't matter. There needs to be communication between the front store and the pharmacist in charge. The FSM has to know that his actions may be in violation of the law. It's not something you do in front of the patient/customer. You pull the manager aside and explain the situation.
That's true, I just had to satiate my curiosity though. Hehe. When I first started working at Walgreen's, I was taught to do things which I later found out were illegal. :eek: I didn't find out until I floated at another store. I stopped immediately. The person who taught me those things was eventually fired. (Possibly for other reasons as well, but nevertheless canned.)

Problem Number One with Pharmacy as a profession as it pertains to big-box retail: We have zero authority and we garner zero respect from even the people we work around. Hell, even our own organization won't stand up for us.

Coming soon: Subway Sandwich stores in at the pharmacy. Eat Fresh, and now, at select participating Walgreen's and Rite-Aid locations, get your prescriptions filled while you eat!

There'll be a little card like you get for frequently eating there with a place on it for a stamp. Instead of a free sandwich on your 8th sandwich purchase, you'll get a free refill of an Rx.
Ughh I HOPE not. :hungover: RPh's are so "retailified" having to kiss patient/customers' butts basically. :T

Wow in front of you? That's cold. If I had to yell at a subordinate I would pull them aside where no one would see. Plus, sometimes the situation warrants for the pharmacist to type! How's Target treating you woman?

He tells her all the time to follow the workflow "verify and consult patients and fill" While I "type scripts, get drive thru :thumbdown:, fix insurance and cashier." He tells her that in front of me. But one time he SCREAMED at her in a room while they were having a meeting. He was so loud that everyone heard in the pharmacy! :eek:

Target is going great. The thing I MISS the most about Walgreens is their computer system. I MISS the WORK QUEUE the most! :( I love how the work queue tells me what "status" everything is in. At target there is NO work queue. Their computer system is from the 1970s or 80s. If someone ask me "is my RX ready?" I will have to look around for it!!! :rolleyes:The computer doesn't tell me where the heck the script is at it could be filled, not filled, not typed, or just typed, NO one knows you will have to "look" around for it. I hate that the most. Walgreens computer system also does things much faster. Refills, Deletes, transfers, etc. are all ONE click away. At target a simple delete or signing someone up for autofill takes 10+ steps. Filling 150 scripts feels like a lot more at Target because their computer system is so old. You pretty much do everything "by hand". You even have to organize all the scripts by their numbers. Now I know how it feels like to be a pharmacist in the 1970s. :laugh:

Oh lastly, fixing insurance problems are a million times EASIER at Walgreens. I can fix almost all problems at Walgreens, but at Target NO WAY. But Target is suppose to be getting a new computer system soon! I wish its tommorrow!lol...

I can imagine someone at drive thru yelling, "where is my fries? I ordered 5 rx, 2 hamburgers and 1 large french fries!!! Give it to me NOW!!!!! and while you are there why don't you go out and grap me some tampons too. :laugh:"

Whoever invented the drive thru needs to be shot.

I can imagine someone at drive thru yelling, "where is my fries? I ordered 5 rx, 2 hamburgers and 1 large french fries!!! Give it to me NOW!!!!! and while you are there why don't you go out and grap me some tampons too. :laugh:"

Whoever invented the drive thru needs to be shot.

I think if it's used like it's intended to be used, by folks that have a hard time walking for whatever reason, then the drive-thru in a pharmacy is a boon. But it isn't, like everything in America, it's abused and trodden on and take advantage of. Pretty sad really, but that's life.

I wouldn't necessarily mind working in a pharmacy w/ a drive-thru, but I see our existence in retail settings as a constant reminder of why pharmacists aren't in the same level prestige-wise as physicians - Accessibility to the general public.

I think if it's used like it's intended to be used, by folks that have a hard time walking for whatever reason, then the drive-thru in a pharmacy is a boon. But it isn't, like everything in America, it's abused and trodden on and take advantage of. Pretty sad really, but that's life.

I wouldn't necessarily mind working in a pharmacy w/ a drive-thru, but I see our existence in retail settings as a constant reminder of why pharmacists aren't in the same level prestige-wise as physicians - Accessibility to the general public.

VERY good point. Physicans charge $70 to $100 dollars per office visit. My dermatologist charge me $75 dollars to just go into his office to get a refill! He doesn't even do a damn thing, all he does is. "I think you need to take more of this. I will get the nurse to fax your pharmacy today." And thats $75 dollars.

ALL pharmacists should charge $75 dollars everytime someone ask them a question! The retail chains will most likely pocket the money but that will definetlly INCREASE respect for pharmacists AND might even increase their salary as well. I agree that people shouldn't just be able to come up to the pharmacist and ask a million questions. Their time should be just as precious as a Doctor's time.

Why don't retail charge a fee for everyone asking pharmacist a question??? Thats good for them b/c they get more money in their pocket and thats good for the pharmacist b/c LESS people will be bugging them all day while they are trying to work. We all know how stressful it is to work and have interputions.

Not only that but there should be a limit on the number of pharmacy schools in this country. There are only 54 dental schools in the USA. There should be around that number for pharmacy schools as well. Making pharmacy school extremely easy to get into doesn't help pharmacists get any respect at all.

Last edited: