How can we get transfer coupons outlawed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
One time I was out of dress code and the store manager went all ballistic on me (back when I first started working in pharmacy), I walked in with a t-shirt, jeans, and a labcoat. Pharmacist was fine with it.

Members don't see this ad.

First off all, the purpose of the coupon like any other advertisement is to induce the customer to come into your store so they stay in your store. Your argument is because some people abuse the coupons they should be outlawed. People used to advertise prescription prices and the result was the same. Some people went from store to store. The same with the $4.00 generic plans. As much as the world changes, it stays the same. This has been going on for as long as I have been a pharmacist. You live in a capitalistic system and you benefit from living in the system and you have to expect people will act in what they perceive is their best interest. It's up to you as a pharmacist to convince them to stay with one pharmacy and they should choose your pharmacy.

Of course you know the question I asked you was rhetorical. Aside from coupons, what else would you change?

Just because it's the way it's always been, doesn't meen it has to stay the same does it? Granted, I've only been a pharmacist a month, but I'm trying to hold off being jaded as long as possible. I think loyalty programs are less damaging than the transfer coupons - just because of the transfer coupon abuse causing poly-pharmacy.
Seperate thought- does anyone think it is possible for insurance companys to ban the transfer coupons? I would think they would have a vested interest in doing so as so many" transfer coupon abusers " fill unnecessary RX's?

But. Now I know how it feels like to be a pharmacist in the 1970s. :laugh:

Well, actually - there was no such thing as the personal computer in the pharmacy in the 70's - I still have a bottle somewhere from 1980 from Eckerds with a label that was typed on a typewriter:eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, actually - there was no such thing as the personal computer in the pharmacy in the 70's - I still have a bottle somewhere from 1980 from Eckerds with a label that was typed on a typewriter:eek:

How do people file insurance back then without a computer? if its by paper then a patient will have to wait a few weeks to get their RX! they will have to wait for the pharmacy to mail out their insurance forms and then they will have to wait for the insurance company's reply to see if the claim is accepted or not!

I really prefer cash paying patients. They are so much less trouble. :laugh:

Last edited:
How do people file insurance back then without a computer? if its by paper then a patient will have to wait a few weeks to get their RX! they will have to wait for the pharmacy to mail out their insurance forms and then they will have to wait for the insurance company's reply to see if the claim is accepted or not!

I'm pretty sure back then, it was either by phone or the patient's insurance card had a copay on it, and the pharmacy just charged the copay and sent the bill to the insurance company.

I'm pretty sure back then, it was either by phone or the patient's insurance card had a copay on it, and the pharmacy just charged the copay and sent the bill to the insurance company.

what if the pharmacy send the bill to the insurance company and the insurance company rejects it??? Thats ALOT of money the pharmacy will be losing b/c once the patient walks away from the pharmacy the RX is gone forever.

It will not be smart for the pharmacy to let the patient have the RX before the insurance is approved and waiting for the insurance to pay the bill can take weeks. So the patient has to wait for weeks. Right?

what if the pharmacy send the bill to the insurance company and the insurance company rejects it??? Thats ALOT of money the pharmacy will be losing b/c once the patient walks away from the pharmacy the RX is gone forever.

It will not be smart for the pharmacy to let the patient have the RX before the insurance is approved and waiting for the insurance to pay the bill can take weeks. So the patient has to wait for weeks. Right?

Back in the day patients submitted thier own claims or the co-pay was printed on the card and the pharmacy submitted the claim forms. It was alot less complicated back then.

Before computers the insurance card actually had not only the copay but the days supply limits and the expiration date. Claims were submitted via a Universal Claim Form. The pharmacy collected the copay and billed the customer later if there were any discrepancies. Some plans had their own form, but 99% of claims were on UCF. Reimbursements were higher then, but payment rates were slower. Today, you know on the spot if claim is approved and what the reimbursement will be.

Universal claim form as old timer said...they were filled out, bagged and sent off on a regular basis to the insurance co. Formularies (if they existed at the time) and other things were much simpler back then.

Do you not have any old people to talk to at your pharmacy/pharmacies?

And cash pt's are rare, and chances are, if they pay cash, they'll come back a few days later with their card and have you rebill it.

Universal claim form as old timer said...they were filled out, bagged and sent off on a regular basis to the insurance co. Formularies (if they existed at the time) and other things were much simpler back then.

Do you not have any old people to talk to at your pharmacy/pharmacies?

And cash pt's are rare, and chances are, if they pay cash, they'll come back a few days later with their card and have you rebill it.

I am a cash patient but I don't take a lot of meds and it does get expensive.

They will have to come back within 7 days for us to rebill it and all the pharmacists I have worked for are very young. In their 20s or 30s. No old people.

Before computers the insurance card actually had not only the copay but the days supply limits and the expiration date. Claims were submitted via a Universal Claim Form. The pharmacy collected the copay and billed the customer later if there were any discrepancies. Some plans had their own form, but 99% of claims were on UCF. Reimbursements were higher then, but payment rates were slower. Today, you know on the spot if claim is approved and what the reimbursement will be.

What if the customers never come back? If the customer knows he or she owes $300 dollars chances are they will never come back...thats why I don't see how a pharmacy can make a profit if they let all their patient get their meds before knowing for sure that the insurance will cover it or not.

But I agree its much easier for the patient to submit their own insurance claims. I think I would like that much better especially after working for Target. :laugh:

Back in the old days, a person would have to pay cash up front, and he would submit the claim to the insurance.

Back in the old days, a person would have to pay cash up front, and he would submit the claim to the insurance.

Man, I wish I was living back in the days!

Members don't see this ad :)

Only for Major Medical claims. All other claims went by UCF.

He tells her all the time to follow the workflow "verify and consult patients and fill" While I "type scripts, get drive thru :thumbdown:, fix insurance and cashier." He tells her that in front of me. But one time he SCREAMED at her in a room while they were having a meeting. He was so loud that everyone heard in the pharmacy! :eek:
No wonder you left! That's such an uncomfortable work environment IMO.

Target is going great. The thing I MISS the most about Walgreens is their computer system. I MISS the WORK QUEUE the most! :( I love how the work queue tells me what "status" everything is in. At target there is NO work queue. Their computer system is from the 1970s or 80s. If someone ask me "is my RX ready?" I will have to look around for it!!! :rolleyes:The computer doesn't tell me where the heck the script is at it could be filled, not filled, not typed, or just typed, NO one knows you will have to "look" around for it. I hate that the most. Walgreens computer system also does things much faster. Refills, Deletes, transfers, etc. are all ONE click away. At target a simple delete or signing someone up for autofill takes 10+ steps. Filling 150 scripts feels like a lot more at Target because their computer system is so old. You pretty much do everything "by hand". You even have to organize all the scripts by their numbers. Now I know how it feels like to be a pharmacist in the 1970s. :laugh:

Oh lastly, fixing insurance problems are a million times EASIER at Walgreens. I can fix almost all problems at Walgreens, but at Target NO WAY. But Target is suppose to be getting a new computer system soon! I wish its tommorrow!lol...
Come back to Walgreen's!! IC+ only gets better and better! New upgrades were made less than a month ago! Maybe you can find a store with a nice Rx manager!

P.S. There are stores with no Drive Thru :D

No wonder you left! That's such an uncomfortable work environment IMO.

Come back to Walgreen's!! IC+ only gets better and better! New upgrades were made less than a month ago! Maybe you can find a store with a nice Rx manager!

P.S. There are stores with no Drive Thru :D

I would LOVE to use Walgreen's computer system in a store that has NO drive thru AND close on lunch! My Dream come true! Seriously, if you work at Target you will know their computer is from the 70s...OLD and useless! their printers are always jamming up too. :rolleyes:

However, I am cutting my hours to 4 hours per week when school starts. How many hours will you be working?? Since I am only working 4 hours per week, I don't really think it will matter that much where I work at. If Target gets on my nerves I will move to mail order. I would not mind living in South FL, in fact I would LOVE to live on the beach. Another Dream come true! :laugh: Can't wait!

I would LOVE to use Walgreen's computer system in a store that has NO drive thru AND close on lunch! My Dream come true! Seriously, if you work at Target you will know their computer is from the 70s...OLD and useless! their printers are always jamming up too. :rolleyes:

However, I am cutting my hours to 4 hours per week when school starts. How many hours will you be working?? Since I am only working 4 hours per week, I don't really think it will matter that much where I work at. If Target gets on my nerves I will move to mail order. I would not mind living in South FL, in fact I would LOVE to live on the beach. Another Dream come true! :laugh: Can't wait!
I haven't decided how many hours I want to work yet. I hope 8 hours or less, but I hear that's hard to attain. Try to apply at Walgreen's at a specific store with no drive thru! I would LOVE to live in FL too, but the bf loves cold weather. Wah!

I haven't decided how many hours I want to work yet. I hope 8 hours or less, but I hear that's hard to attain. Try to apply at Walgreen's at a specific store with no drive thru! I would LOVE to live in FL too, but the bf loves cold weather. Wah!

4 hours per week was very diffcult to obtain. I had to quit one Target and apply to another one (since my RX manager at my original Target refuse to transfer me!) however I got the job at the other store, so I will only be working 4 hours per week. I LOVE it.

The reason I mentioned FL is b/c thats where the mail order is at. Do you want retail, mail order or hospital when you graduate?

I can't imagine only working 4 hours a week,but I guess during pharmacy school it might be a must... If only I could stay on at my indy pharmacy during school. If I got into UoP I guess I could, not that bad of a drive one day a week (I make worse ones now)... but UCSF or USC, definitely not.

I can't imagine only working 4 hours a week,but I guess during pharmacy school it might be a must... If only I could stay on at my indy pharmacy during school. If I got into UoP I guess I could, not that bad of a drive one day a week (I make worse ones now)... but UCSF or USC, definitely not.

Mercer gives away merit scholarships to top students so I am aiming for top grades. Thats why I think 4 hours a week is a must. However if someone was to aim for B(s) and C(s) then 20+ hours a week is fine. I don't think I am smart enough to work 20+ hours a week and get a 4.0 :(

4 hours per week was very diffcult to obtain. I had to quit one Target and apply to another one (since my RX manager at my original Target refuse to transfer me!) however I got the job at the other store, so I will only be working 4 hours per week. I LOVE it.

The reason I mentioned FL is b/c thats where the mail order is at. Do you want retail, mail order or hospital when you graduate?
I have no clue yet! Whatever makes me the happiest. :) Happiness >>>> Money. I guess I'll find out during rotations at Pharm school officially, but for now, Walgreen's is on the yes list. What are you leaning towards?

I have no clue yet! Whatever makes me the happiest. :) Happiness >>>> Money. I guess I'll find out during rotations at Pharm school officially, but for now, Walgreen's is on the yes list. What are you leaning towards?

I think overall I prefer a desk job. I know someone that just graduated from Mercer looking for a desk job, forgot what the company's name is though...I would have to ask her what it was.

I know nothing about hospital pharmacy, so I am not sure if I would like it or not.

If Target finally get their new computer system in, I will consider them as well.

We'll see...I am leaning towards the least stressful job. I prefer lower stress>>>>Money. :laugh: