how can you prove that you have done enough shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How can you prove that you have done enough shadowing at a dental clinic? If there is no way to prove, applicants can just exaggerat the hours. Does any school ask you to show proof that you have done enough shadowing? If so, what method did they implement? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Having your dentist write a letter of recommendation will be your prove.

How can you prove that you have done enough shadowing at a dental clinic? If there is no way to prove, applicants can just exaggerat the hours. Does any school ask you to show proof that you have done enough shadowing? If so, what method did they implement? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, some schools will have the dentist(s) complete an application. Others will take your word for it. You can fudge the numbers if you wish, but it probably won't help an application. Shadowing should help you confirm (or deny?) that you want to be a dentist. There comes a point where additional hours don't do much for you. You might really enjoy it and see some cool procedures that your peers might not be aware of, but it won't make you a better applicant or a better dentist.

the reason that I asked b/c I only have shadowed a dentist in a private practice setting for 4 days. Then, I spent 3 weeks assisting a dentist to perform massive extraction for 3 weeks in a third world country. So, I don't know if my experience doing third world dentistry is considering shadowing since all the dentist did was extractions. Thanks!

the reason that I asked b/c I only have shadowed a dentist in a private practice setting for 4 days. Then, I spent 3 weeks assisting a dentist to perform massive extraction for 3 weeks in a third world country. So, I don't know if my experience doing third world dentistry is considering shadowing since all the dentist did was extractions. Thanks!

extractions are a part of dentistry, so I would consider that observing.