SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

how can you prove that you have done enough shadowing?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Smooth Operater, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Smooth Operater

Smooth Operater don't bug "operatEr"! 5+ Year Member

May 22, 2004
    How can you prove that you have done enough shadowing at a dental clinic? If there is no way to prove, applicants can just exaggerat the hours. Does any school ask you to show proof that you have done enough shadowing? If so, what method did they implement? Thank you!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. blasterx

blasterx 2+ Year Member

Apr 1, 2007
  4. SHC1984

SHC1984 Banned Banned 5+ Year Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Having your dentist write a letter of recommendation will be your prove.

5. ItsGavinC

ItsGavinC Dentist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Arizona
    Yep, some schools will have the dentist(s) complete an application. Others will take your word for it. You can fudge the numbers if you wish, but it probably won't help an application. Shadowing should help you confirm (or deny?) that you want to be a dentist. There comes a point where additional hours don't do much for you. You might really enjoy it and see some cool procedures that your peers might not be aware of, but it won't make you a better applicant or a better dentist.

6. Smooth Operater

Smooth Operater don't bug "operatEr"! 5+ Year Member

May 22, 2004
    the reason that I asked b/c I only have shadowed a dentist in a private practice setting for 4 days. Then, I spent 3 weeks assisting a dentist to perform massive extraction for 3 weeks in a third world country. So, I don't know if my experience doing third world dentistry is considering shadowing since all the dentist did was extractions. Thanks!

7. PChemGrad

PChemGrad I am a banana. 10+ Year Member

Jun 29, 2006
    extractions are a part of dentistry, so I would consider that observing.