How Competitive Army Fellowships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virtu

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the timeline to do an army fellowship. How soon after your residency is realistic? Also, does anyone know anything about sponsored training in civilian fellowships? I saw this on the usarec site:

"Fellowships

Sponsored training in civilian fellowships is available in certain subspecialties. Our fellows are accepted to many excellent training institutions including Johns Hopkins University, Stanford, University of California, Duke University, National Institutes of Health, University of Texas, University of Virginia, University of Pennsylvania, Emory University, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, University of Washington, and Yale University. Nuclear Medicine and Plastic Surgery are offered at the fellowship level. Below is a sampling of both Army and Army-sponsored civilian fellowships that are offered. This list is not inclusive. Some of our programs are integrated with the Navy in the National Capital Area and with the Air Force in San Antonio."

The list of civilian sponsored fellowships: Cardiology

Interventional Cardiology

Dermatology

Immuno-dermatology

MOHS/Dermatologic Surgery

General Surgery

Plastic Surgery

Colon/Rectal Surgery

Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery

Ophthalmology

PCorneal/External Disease

Glaucoma

Retinal Surgery

Orthopaedics

Spine Surgery

Children’s Orthopaedics

Foot and Ankle Surgery

Radiology

Vascular/Interventional Radiology

Urology

Pediatric Urology

Urology Oncology.

---

Been pretty bummed about having to do a military residency over a civilian one. Being able to do a civilian fellowship at UCSF or Hopkins might take some of the sting out...:(

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you are planning to be a career Army physician, don't waste your time on a military fellowship or a military-sponsored fellowship. Both add on to your active duty time. Do your payback right after residency, get out, and do a civilian fellowship with no military obligation. YES, you will have to take a temporary pay cut during civilian fellowship, but 1) you won't have any military obligation and b) your experience as a practicing physician in the military will be looked on favorably by fellowship programs relative to people coming right out of residency.

x-rmd

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks. if you don't mind my asking, what are you up to now that you're out of the service?

Been pretty bummed about having to do a military residency over a civilian one. Being able to do a civilian fellowship at UCSF or Hopkins might take some of the sting out...:(

So then why did you join the military knowing there was greater than an 80% chance you'd have to do a military residency?

What's the timeline to do an army fellowship. How soon after your residency is realistic? Also, does anyone know anything about sponsored training in civilian fellowships? I saw this on the usarec site:

(

Doing fellowship right out of residency is not impossible, but difficult, and really depends on the specialty you choose. If I were a betting person, I would bet that if you had your heart set on a fellowship, you'd get it, eventually. The key word is "eventually". And yes, as others have already pointed out, this certainly adds onto your time, especially if it is a civilian deferred fellowship.

Since I have been a resident, I have had two staff pay back their time, get out, and transition right pretty much right into the civilian fellowship of their choice. The advantage of doing this? Their military career is over, they no longer have any further ties or committment to the military and will get their choice fellowship. The drawback? They spent the last four years making six figures as staff, now they are back to making 45K, less then what they made as an army resident in fact.

You just have to weight the risk versus the benefits. In this particulary scenario, the military is always going to try to persuade you to stay in.

You just have to weight the risk versus the benefits. In this particulary scenario, the military is always going to try to persuade you to stay in.

I have yet to see any effort to retain quality people and convince them to do a military fellowship rather than get out. There is almost no attention paid to retention at any level.