How competitive is it to get in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drillemfillembi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have considered applying to pharmacy school. I took the PCAT and got 83 composite and 95 chemistry, but I will probably take it again. I have approx. a 3.5 science and 3.5 overall GPA. I have a BS in both economics and management. I also am in a masters program too. However, I do not have a lot of pharmacy work experience per se. What kind of things should I do to improve my chances and what are my chances? Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I have considered applying to pharmacy school. I took the PCAT and got 83 composite and 95 chemistry, but I will probably take it again. I have approx. a 3.5 science and 3.5 overall GPA. I have a BS in both economics and management. I also am in a masters program too. However, I do not have a lot of pharmacy work experience per se. What kind of things should I do to improve my chances and what are my chances? Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks.

You will have little trouble getting an interview... From there, your personality and interview skills will determine whether or not you get in.

~above~

You have a competitive GPA and PCAT score, I don't think it's necessary to retake the PCAT. Save yourself the time, energy and $$. You're also a non-traditional student so use that to your advantage. The only suggestion I have is to work on your extracurricular activities (volunteer, leadership, etc).

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a competitive GPA and PCAT score, I don't think it's necessary to retake the PCAT. Save yourself the time, energy and $$. You're also a non-traditional student so use that to your advantage. The only suggestion I have is to work on your extracurricular activities (volunteer, leadership, etc).

I couldn't agree more. The grades and score are there you just need to round out that application with leadership AND volunteer experience IMHO. Good luck!

Like everyone says, definitely get that experience. It'll show that you have a high interest in the field. It'll also help with your interviews.

Why are you going into pharmacy, if I may ask?

I dunno what all these folks are talking about... pharmacy is not competitive at all... :rolleyes:

There are a couple reasons. I liked chemistry and have always been strong in it. People tell me that is a good thing for pharm school. It is interesting to me to understand how different medicines work. Also, I'd like to be able to help patients, but at the same time I'd like to eventually get into the business end in the industry.