How Competitive is MPH?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kirpnn03

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in applying to MPH programs next year and am getting ready to take the GRE this year. How competitive are MPH programs and what else do they look at besides GPA and GRE scores?

Any insight would be helpful! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Well frm what I have gathered.. its not all that tough getting in MPH but it would definitely be a competitive affair getting in some of the top univs.. harvard or John Hopkins for instance. But an avg GRE score abt 1100+ say should do.. the more the better. GPA above 3.5 would be an asset. Even your recommendation letters not to mention Statement of Purpose matter too!
Well,good GPA and GRE scores benefit in getting aid too!
Hope that helps!

the avg GPA for UC Berkeley SPH is 3.5 and the avg GRE is at the 75th percentile. (i believe that comes out to about a 1250-1300)

Members don't see this ad :)
ok, just a 'me stoopid' question...

you guys have mentioned GRE scores like 1100, 1250.....when i took the GRE (back in '01) I got three scores (verbal, quant, analyt) Was one of those cut or something? what figures into a score of 1100--verbal +quant? analytical?

Thanks for addressing my questions! And actually I do have one additional question--What is the general timeline for applying? When should I have my application in and when can I expect to hear back from schools?

Well the GRE now gives scores for Verbal n Quant out of 1600 and Anal out of 6. But Anal scores above 4 or 4.5 are decent enough.
And the dead line for spring is generally around Sept-Oct and for Fall is around Jan - March.. depends on univ tht ur applying.. so better check out their websites. A list is available on www.asph.org or www.ceph.org.
N its always better to apply well before ur deadlines!
Bye