how comprehensive are TPR's chem, bio, physics REVIEW books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orangeblossom

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
does it provide just enough to remind you of concepts, formulas etc?

or is it thorough enough to be comprehendible by someone who's never studied the subject before?

Members don't see this ad.

Actually they go into alot of detail especially in the bio portion (which is not a good thing mcat wise) and do explain things from scratch but like the guy above me said pre reqs first.

There were some subjects that my pre reqs really didn't cover (ie electrochem - I dont feel they did a good job with that chapter, Fluids - felt they did a good job and a few other topics I counted on the book to learn).

And some topics that I didn't remember such as Lights and optics, electrostatics and magnetism (took physics 3 years ago). I counted on the princeton books to learn them and I say they helped. Now not saying get these books if you have never seen any of these topics... I am sure that the fact that I spent a whole year learning physics 3 years a go might have helped me get things much faster. Just wanted to say they are pretty thorough if your classes didn't touch on certain topics well enough or if its been a while.

I purchased all TPR Review science books, and have finished a first pass content review using the same. I concur w/ other posters that
- please do take pre-reqs otherwise as these books are just as the name implies -- 'review' books (i.e. you've read this stuff either recently or eons ago, but need to brush up or relearn, not learn from scratch)
- only the Bio books goes into great length; others are reasonably okay as well. I found Ochem to be utterly unhelpful (atleast for me; as it lacked explanation on details of mechanism; why a reaction proceeded in certain way etc)
- with that said, it does comprehensively cover the review scope of MCAT

should you purchase these, please do supplement it w/ other books that offer ample passage practice

hope this helps

Members don't see this ad :)
These are the books I am using for each subject. Very in depth so like others have said pre-reqs would help. I like them though.

I have the 2007 version, anyone know if there is significant differences with the 2011 version they would supply in class?

I do feel they are very good at explaining, making sure you get the concepts down. Ive been turning to it more so since I Feel that the Kaplan Review books provided in class seem to skimp on alot of things..

The 2011 edition is the colored ones that you can buy at bookstores. You can't buy the science workbook and verbal though.