How Critical is Letter of Recommendation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jasminetea7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying this summer (2011 cycle) and getting the LOR is driving me CRAZYYYYYYY!!! I think it's the most stressful part of the application. :scared:

This morning, I called Tufts and asked them about the letters. The lady told me that I needed 2 letters from a science professor and one of them MUST BE from a biology professor.

So far, I've gotten one letter from a chemistry professor and another one from my psychology professor (I'm a psych major). And I was lucky to get those! (I went to UCSD and the chance of getting to know a professor is almost zero.) I didn't get A's in my lower division biology classes so I'm not sure if I'll be able to get one. On top of that, I've already been turned down by so many professors.....

I know that it doesn't hurt to ask, so I'll still ask my biology professors. But in case I couldn't get one, I wanted ask you guys....

How critical is LOR? I mean...would they not even consider me for an interview if I didn't have those letters from science professors? Or do I still have a chance with the letters I already have now?

My stats are GPA: 3.4/3.3 (cumulative/science) and DAT: 19/19/23 (AA/TS/PA).

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying this summer (2011 cycle) and getting the LOR is driving me CRAZYYYYYYY!!! I think it's the most stressful part of the application. :scared:

This morning, I called Tufts and asked them about the letters. The lady told me that I needed 2 letters from a science professor and one of them MUST BE from a biology professor.

So far, I've gotten one letter from a chemistry professor and another one from my psychology professor (I'm a psych major). And I was lucky to get those! (I went to UCSD and the chance of getting to know a professor is almost zero.) I didn't get A's in my lower division biology classes so I'm not sure if I'll be able to get one. On top of that, I've already been turned down by so many professors.....

I know that it doesn't hurt to ask, so I'll still ask my biology professors. But in case I couldn't get one, I wanted ask you guys....

How critical is LOR? I mean...would they not even consider me for an interview if I didn't have those letters from science professors? Or do I still have a chance with the letters I already have now?

If any school explicitly states that they need particular types of LoR's, I would think that they wouldn't consider your application if you didn't provide them. That being said, most dental schools require at least 2 science professor LoR's and psychology won't count. You could apply to UCLA and UCSF, which are two schools that I know of that don't require 2 science LoR's, but these schools are very competitive and not OOS friendly. You're going to have to get at least that second science LoR (and an additional one if you want to apply to schools like Columbia, Buffalo, or Boston). I can sympathize with you because I went to UCLA and all my science classes were huge, but if you go to OH a couple times, most professors are happy to write LoR's for you. That might be too late for you now, so I guess all you can do is contact all your old science professors and request a letter from them. If you can't find a biology professor, just get one from another science class and leave Tufts out.

haha I know, its written on their website. I had a frustrating moment with that too... but TODAY THIS MORNING, my histology professor FINALLY submitted to interfolio my last LOR which SATISFY this requirement haha

The 4 i am submitting to ADDSAS are 1 from orgo professor, 1 from histology professor, 1 from sociology professor, and 1 from dentist

Members don't see this ad :)
Ahhh so it IS pretty important for these schools...
I wish I could start my undergrad all over!!!!

Tufts is very strict with their requirement, if you can't get it don't apply.
Other schools seem to be more lenient.
Good luck

How lenient are we talking? I'm a psych major and the only courses I've taken with fewer than 100 students have been psych courses. There are two professors who would write me great letters, but they are both in the psych department (one was my stats professor, the other is head of the psych honors department) -- I know it's a longshot by all means, but is there any hope for this situation? However pathetic it may seem, this LOR hurdle will be the factor keeping me from even applying to dental school, and I'm not sure how to fix it this late in the game

Last edited:
How lenient are we talking? I'm a psych major and the only courses I've taken with fewer than 100 students have been psych. There are two professors who would write me great letters, but they are both in the psych department (one was my stats professor, the other is head of the psych honors department) -- I know it's a longshot by all means, but is there any hope for this situation? However pathetic it may seem, this LOR hurdle will be the factor keeping me from even applying to dental school

Maybe have your psych teacher send a LOR to the bio professor vouching for you. It may make the bio prof feel more comfortable writing you a LOR.

Lol it's worth a try

Tufts is very strict with their requirement, if you can't get it don't apply.
Other schools seem to be more lenient.
Good luck

disagree, i took trig and not calc. the admissions said no problem. ;)

And I was lucky to get those! (I went to UCSD and the chance of getting to know a professor is almost zero.) I didn't ....

In your school doesnt the prof. have office hours? I am just wondering or is that time also taken up by many students going for office hours...

B/c in one my 500 people class not even one person would go during the office hours its rare... so the prof. is all mine to talk get help ask q. then ask rec. letter.

Anyways i seen couple threads in the past stating that some schools have your file as incomplete if you do not have everything that they ask including lOR.

In your school doesnt the prof. have office hours? I am just wondering or is that time also taken up by many students going for office hours...

B/c in one my 500 people class not even one person would go during the office hours its rare... so the prof. is all mine to talk get help ask q. then ask rec. letter.

Anyways i seen couple threads in the past stating that some schools have your file as incomplete if you do not have everything that they ask including lOR.

Which school do you attend? I have never seen less than 10% of the class in every office hours...

It would be a dream come true if no one went to office hours.

Which school do you attend? I have never seen less than 10% of the class in every office hours...

It would be a dream come true if no one went to office hours.

I actually attended a State school...

10% huh, wow... for some reason... I have never seen more than 1-2 kids in office hours maybe its because I go there early and leave within like 15-20 mins.

I had to work my butt off to get LOE's from science professors. I met with the professors every day after class (this is for a class of ~500 students) and even then they barely knew me. I then became a TA them. I have dedicated hundreds of hours to get good LOE's. I don't know how much weight they carry, and maybe I'm biased due to all the effort I put in, but I think schools realize that getting science professors to write LOE's is more difficult and thus those letters carry more weight than Psychology etc.

I had to work my butt off to get LOE's from science professors. I met with the professors every day after class (this is for a class of ~500 students) and even then they barely knew me. I then became a TA them. I have dedicated hundreds of hours to get good LOE's. I don't know how much weight they carry, and maybe I'm biased due to all the effort I put in, but I think schools realize that getting science professors to write LOE's is more difficult and thus those letters carry more weight than Psychology etc.

Listen to threeblingmice. I used to think getting a LOR was impossible. Get to know your professor well. Well enough to where they know you on a first name basis. I know, old guys, scary. But a lot of them are really anxious to interact with their students. Just show up at one of your profs offices and talk. It doesn't have to be near a test time when the profs are congested. Show you are dedicated and intellectually capable. And get to know your professor on more than an academic level. If the only thing your professor knows about you is that you took a class of theirs then it really won't translate well on the letter of recs. There are professors who have copy and paste letter of rec forms. You do not want that. And make sure your prof knows you well enough to cater to you/your problems that will help you as a candidate.
As far as getting a professor, you might want to take a more upper level class, and more specifically related to a biological/chemical science. You're not really going to be taking statistics in dental school. And I'd also say it's better to get a LOR from say A&P rather than intro. Biology. One because you are in a much smaller class where the professor sees you in a much smaller stage. Also, this is stressed to a degree. Get a tenured professor. Tenured>Associate>Lecturer>TA.
Finally, I think this hasn't been answered yet. I think your LOR can be major. I know a lot of people who had the average 3.5 and 19 DAT, similar activities/research. The people who knew they had great letters got in. Those who just got anyone because the deadline was closing in did not. If you get a great LOR, it can be major.

Listen to threeblingmice. I used to think getting a LOR was impossible. Get to know your professor well. Well enough to where they know you on a first name basis. I know, old guys, scary. But a lot of them are really anxious to interact with their students. Just show up at one of your profs offices and talk. It doesn't have to be near a test time when the profs are congested. Show you are dedicated and intellectually capable. And get to know your professor on more than an academic level. If the only thing your professor knows about you is that you took a class of theirs then it really won't translate well on the letter of recs. There are professors who have copy and paste letter of rec forms. You do not want that. And make sure your prof knows you well enough to cater to you/your problems that will help you as a candidate.
As far as getting a professor, you might want to take a more upper level class, and more specifically related to a biological/chemical science. You're not really going to be taking statistics in dental school. And I'd also say it's better to get a LOR from say A&P rather than intro. Biology. One because you are in a much smaller class where the professor sees you in a much smaller stage. Also, this is stressed to a degree. Get a tenured professor. Tenured>Associate>Lecturer>TA.
Finally, I think this hasn't been answered yet. I think your LOR can be major. I know a lot of people who had the average 3.5 and 19 DAT, similar activities/research. The people who knew they had great letters got in. Those who just got anyone because the deadline was closing in did not. If you get a great LOR, it can be major.

Agree with all the above...

But if the great LOR from a prof is going to come in late july/early august, then its better to take the average LOR that is late june/early july.

I believe that being early with a 3.5/19 is the MOST important thing that one can do to better their chances.

Agree with all the above...

But if the great LOR from a prof is going to come in late july/early august, then its better to take the average LOR that is late june/early july.

I believe that being early with a 3.5/19 is the MOST important thing that one can do to better their chances.

Oh yeah, definitely agree. Turn your application in early. But I think a lot of the people have the misconception that you have to take the professor who is writing your LOR that semester. This usually leaves the professor in the position where they would rather wait until final grades are out so they would know the student better. And as it turns out, that professor probably has 10 other students whos LOR's he/she has put on hold until the end. I would suggest taking a professor one semester before the application opens up and use the semester the app does open up to become pretty chill with the professor. That gives you a year of knowing the prof and also allows them to get to know you for more than just a one dimensional person. And also, you get your letter in early.

And not directed at the OP but at others who will be needing letters for the next cycle, try to request a LOR from a prof 6 weeks before your app opens up. Most profs take about a month to write a letter because they have their own business and other LORS to take care of.

... Biology. One because you are in a much smaller class where the professor sees you in a much smaller stage. Also, this is stressed to a degree. Get a tenured professor. Tenured>Associate>Lecturer>TA.

as long as they have PHD even if its a TA they can say they are a Dr... no need to go higher... if you can get a very good letter from a TA who has a phd... its not like dental schools will go and research to see like 4 years ago that they didnt teach that class or they were just TA.

as long as they have PHD even if its a TA they can say they are a Dr... no need to go higher... if you can get a very good letter from a TA who has a phd... its not like dental schools will go and research to see like 4 years ago that they didnt teach that class or they were just TA.

I disagree. Most TA's are still working on their Ph.D. I don't understand why the word of TA's aren't held in higher regard especially knowing that it is the TA that gets to know you way better than your profs because they get to supervise a way smaller subset of what the professor does. At the very least, the schools will know who the professor is such as the professor's title and relation to the student. Plus, some professors are more reputable than others. And reputation can be important. My schools health advisory committee strongly advised against a TA's and really, really preferred tenured profs. I only had one tenured and the other was an associate.

Have you tried the dean's of your major? If you ask them they should give you a letter. You don't need letters from science professors. You can get one from English professors as well. I think the requirement is 1 science and 1 dental and another from anyone else. You already have the minimum. They will not look past 4 or 5 letters. To me the letters can only help you, not hurt you. Unless your professor gave you a bad recommendation, then your pretty much screwed. But if someone is willing to write one, I do not think it will be that bad. Also places you volunteered and your boss's at work can write you letters. Do not think that you only have one option. There are lots out there.

500 students in 1 science class at BYUI? Lol :)

You make a good point though.