How did people react when you told them you wanted to go into dentistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Near

Kung Fu Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whether you want to be a dentist/orthodontist/whatever?

My dad laughed at first when I suggested the possibility of me going into it, but he warmed up to the idea.

Everyone expects something grand and ambitious out of me (i.e., MBA, MD, other prestigious job) including my friends, my family, teachers, etc. So I have no idea how their opinions of me might change if I told them I was interested in dentistry.

Anyway, what do you think the social views of Dentists/orthodontist are? Like the type of esteem from the public.

Feel free to share your thoughts, I'd like to hear all of your experiences with this.

Members don't see this ad.

I had a few people ask me why I wouldn't go for MD because they thought I was capable, which irked me a little bit. My family was really supportive and happy though.

It would be silly to say that there isn't some perceived hierarchy and generally dentistry is a notch below a couple professions. However, it is even sillier to buy into this. Do dentistry because you enjoy doing dentistry. Don't take things about prestige/status too seriously but also do your job well and treat people with respect.

If you seek validation from others you'll always end up empty in my opinion. Feel good and confident about yourself and just reflect if this is truly something you can see yourself doing for 35 years. Luckily, for me it is.

One things that kind of bothers me though is how the first thing out of many people's mouths is related to money that dentists make, but I just brush it off.

"LOL!"

That was what I got from a premed classmate.

Members don't see this ad :)
y you wanna mess with ppl's mouth - that was from my dad

My mom said engineering was better but it's my life!

My mom said engineering was better but it's my life!
Sorry to disagree with your mom, but she is wrong! (says the former engineer) :)

When I was in high school, my pops strongly urged me to consider a career in engineering. I researched engineering and all of the indicators (love of science, math, learning how things work, tinkerer, etc.) pointed to a good career fit. So I went to school and earned degrees in mechanical engineering. After working in industry for a few years...

The writing on the wall became clear: the way to advance your career as an engineer is to move into management. Unfortunately, management takes you away from all the fun of designing/building widgets. Not my style; I need to do more than be a paper/people pusher!

So when I talked to him about changing careers to dentistry, he was strongly opposed, saying it would be a waste of time to throw away my engineering career.

The funny/angering part of the whole situation is, once I was accepted to d-school, he changed his tune and told me I should have considered dentistry from the beginning!:mad:

I'm not sure why an MBA would be considered more prestigious... at least I don't consider it to be.

A lot of people were supportive,

Some people I know think it is nasty to work with other peoples mouths, saying how dirty they are.

I never really thought of it that way.

One friend said, if you are going to go for that, why don't you just go to med school. As if I was selling my self short by going to Dental school.

Most have come to there sense and realized that I made a good choice.

My father is one of them, especially after his friend who is a Physician told him how great the field of dentistry is, and that he thought it was a good match for me.

Some of my friends were surprised since everything thought I'd go computer science since I was such a computer whiz in high school, but my Dad - a doctor - liked that I decided on dent and not med because of the declining outlook and lack of respect that doctors get.

My dad laughed at first when I suggested the possibility of me going into it, but he warmed up to the idea.

Everyone expects something grand and ambitious out of me (i.e., MBA, MD, other prestigious job) including my friends, my family, teachers, etc. So I have no idea how their opinions of me might change if I told them I was interested in dentistry.

Anyway, what do you think the social views of Dentists/orthodontist are? Like the type of esteem from the public.

Feel free to share your thoughts, I'd like to hear all of your experiences with this.

To OP: My family was very pleased that I chose this career. My family dentist was also happy. Who wouldn't be happy for their kid for choosing this path? Good hours and good pay.

If you are looking for other peoples acceptance of your career to make you happy, then give up now because you will never be happy.

If being a dentist is what you want then do it. If you don't want to be a dentist then don't.

If you are looking for other peoples acceptance of your career to make you happy, then give up now because you will never be happy.

If being a dentist is what you want then do it. If you don't want to be a dentist then don't.

Sound advice but isn't this response getting kind of old? :)

I don't think anyone who posted here really cares what other people think.

Members don't see this ad :)
My mum said: "Great"...she British and has been telling me to become a dentist for years.

Other say..."You know dentists have a really high suicide rate...":scared:

The day some acquaintances found out I was going to dental school, one guy said "you're gonna be rich!!!" LOL :D

My dad said, "Are you sure you don't want to take the MCAT? Why don't you take the MCAT, just in case you change your mind?"

People started asking me if I could give them cheap dental work... I usually just said yes so now I don't think I will be making very much as a dentist haha

Greetings,

Let's move up a few years down the road and say you are in a pub drinking alone. You strike up a conversation with an attractive lady next to you and when she asks what you do for living. You answer " I am an oral surgeon or orthodontist, endodontist or even a prosthodontist". What do you think her reaction will be? DP

Greetings,

Let's move up a few years down the road and say you are in a pub drinking alone. You strike up a conversation with an attractive lady next to you and when she asks what you do for living. You answer " I am an oral surgeon or orthodontist, endodontist or even a prosthodontist". What do you think her reaction will be? DP

$$$$Cha-Ching$$$$

Greetings,

Haha, I like "cha-ching". I just like to say I am a student. If she asked where, I say she school. If she asks studying what then I reply with science and whatnot. I'll need to mix it up once I have a job.

I know a fair bit of girls who are the materialistic type who put on their one Marciano dress a week to go out to expensive bars and lure other guys with money haha It's actually a really funny dynamic that I have learned to enjoy after a several years at my university.

But I find it's generally pretty easy to read a person and tell their intentions and whether they just are interested or are using their cash-filter haha

A medical student actually advised me to go into dentistry...
"Why would you wanna go into medicine? Go to dental school!"

and here I am... haha

Haha, I like "cha-ching". I just like to say I am a student. If she asked where, I say she school. If she asks studying what then I reply with science and whatnot. I'll need to mix it up once I have a job.

I know a fair bit of girls who are the materialistic type who put on their one Marciano dress a week to go out to expensive bars and lure other guys with money haha It's actually a really funny dynamic that I have learned to enjoy after a several years at my university.

But I find it's generally pretty easy to read a person and tell their intentions and whether they just are interested or are using their cash-filter haha

Ew, i get really annoyed at people thinking that women only want to get with them for their money. Honestly, tell them you're a dentist, and ask them what they do. If the answer is, "i'm a bum" then just don't call her again - esp. since u fear being used so badly. On the other hand, if the answer is "I"m a professional" then date her. Why lie or why hide the truth? It takes two to form a relationship... and honestly, the girl may get turned off by the fact that ur doing a "health science' degree because professional women too look for non-bum, usery types. :smuggrin:

Ew, i get really annoyed at people thinking that women only want to get with them for their money. Honestly, tell them you're a dentist, and ask them what they do. If the answer is, "i'm a bum" then just don't call her again - esp. since u fear being used so badly. On the other hand, if the answer is "I"m a professional" then date her. Why lie or why hide the truth? It takes two to form a relationship... and honestly, the girl may get turned off by the fact that ur doing a "health science' degree because professional women too look for non-bum, usery types. :smuggrin:

I just use that for people who are clearly gold digger types, which I have no intention of getting to know. And then it's just fun to see how they react. Often you meet these girls at huge random parties or clubs, places where I certainly don't intend to start relationships.

That's why it's important to read someone. Because even if that girl is a "bum" and is working a minimum wage job, because she had to help her family financially from a young age, it's someone I would like to get to know better provided she is kind and her intentions are good!

Now a health science degree being a bum degree? ouch haha You don't have to be a professional to be a non-bum!

And you also seem to be implying that if she's a professional then she can't be a a gold digger haha Which really isn't true, you'll probably see this when you start dental school. Anyways, I don't really want to get to know these people who are turned off my profession or lack thereof and want to start relationships based on financial staus.

Last edited:
Greetings,

lol do most attractive ladies even know what a endodontist or prosthodontist is? FYI if I was a OMF, I would give her the full shabang and say "I'm a board certified Oral & MaxilloFacial surgeon" which obviously sounds at least 300% cooler. :smuggrin:

lol do most attractive ladies even know what a endodontist or prosthodontist is? FYI if I was a OMF, I would give her the full shabang and say "I'm a board certified Oral & MaxilloFacial surgeon" which obviously sounds at least 300% cooler. :smuggrin:

Who cares what "board certified oral and maxillo facial" means ... quite frankly, it's too much information to process for these type of women in one day. A surgeon is a surgeon, and that's enough to get the dollar signs rolling in their eyes ...

Orthodontist responses are also pretty up there as far as these chicks go. Parents remind their kids at every chance they get, just how much their braces cost them, and that they'd better wear that retainer. And everyone knows just who took that check to the bank !

Periodontist, maybe (Sienfeld plug) ... Endodontist, prosthodontist ... not so sure.

Gosh darn it, some of my family members still won't return my calls, my teachers don't talk to me at reunions and my friends go out of their way to avoid me. I'm such a disgrace :rolleyes: ...

I just use that for people who are clearly gold digger types, which I have no intention of getting to know. And then it's just fun to see how they react. Often you meet these girls at huge random parties or clubs, places where I certainly don't intend to start relationships.

That's why it's important to read someone. Because even if that girl is a "bum" and is working a minimum wage job, because she had to help her family financially from a young age, it's someone I would like to get to know better provided she is kind and her intentions are good!

Now a health science degree being a bum degree? ouch haha You don't have to be a professional to be a non-bum!

And you also seem to be implying that if she's a professional then she can't be a a gold digger haha Which really isn't true, you'll probably see this when you start dental school.
psych research shows that women who make 80,000$+per year(i forget which earning percentile that is...they still prefer men that make as much $ if not more than they do... info curtesy of my PSYCH 314 Social cognition class, based on a survey that was conducted in 37 countries world wide... AKA all women are gold diggers...they are evolutionarily programmed to... the goal is to find the one that fits you, whether rich or poor because u like her personality. I guess my qualm is more with the stereotyping about women....on the flip side, research shows that men are superficial, shallow beings that only care about looks, youth, and more looks... yet these men don't get slack for it... it's just sexist is all.
Anyways, I don't really want to get to know these people who are turned off my profession or lack thereof and want to start relationships based on financial staus.
fcgdf

Sorry to disagree with your mom, but she is wrong! (says the former engineer) :)

When I was in high school, my pops strongly urged me to consider a career in engineering. I researched engineering and all of the indicators (love of science, math, learning how things work, tinkerer, etc.) pointed to a good career fit. So I went to school and earned degrees in mechanical engineering. After working in industry for a few years...

The writing on the wall became clear: the way to advance your career as an engineer is to move into management. Unfortunately, management takes you away from all the fun of designing/building widgets. Not my style; I need to do more than be a paper/people pusher!

So when I talked to him about changing careers to dentistry, he was strongly opposed, saying it would be a waste of time to throw away my engineering career.

The funny/angering part of the whole situation is, once I was accepted to d-school, he changed his tune and told me I should have considered dentistry from the beginning!:mad:
Thanks for telling ur story! Engineering was appealing to me for a while b/c the college im going to has a combined b.a/b.s. engineering program with Columbia and I would have no debt and an engineering degree too, but i know that dentistry is what I really want in the end.

Greetings,

I don't think this bar situation will ever happen to me, but my wife sure thinks it's hot that I'm Dr. OG1. Even though I'm a fake doctor.

I did some research turns out that's just a myth.

Thank goodness. You wouldn't believe how many people I've talked about being a dentist have said that to me...

My family and friends have all been very supportive. Some say it is way too much schooling, but it something I would do. (As opposed to my brother and sister who would rather not go to school)

I get the usual stuff especially , "gross, how can you stand looking in people's mouths all day?" I don't find a problem with doing that which is why I am going to go to ds.:D

I :love:teeth!!

On my flight to D school interviews at NY and Boston a cute girl sat next to me and asked me why i was going to ny, I said I had a dental school interview, and she was like 'I would never want to be a dentist that's gross.' But other than that, reactions have been pretty positive.

"you - A dentist? HA HA HA HA HA. You don't even brush your own teeth."

My most common reaction was, "Oh you mean like dental hygiene?"

The only person that has given me a negative response was my former OD (eye doc). I told him I got accepted to dental school and suddenly he goes off in to a tangent about dentistry being mechanical like working on a piece of wood and that the patient could be dead and it wouldn't make a difference.

It was crazy, he wouldn't stop talking about how being an OD was about working with people and more intellectualy challanging. This went on for about 30 minutes. I just bit my lip and stayed quiet until he gave me his price for one contact lense ($900). This guy is supposed to be one of the top ODs but seems to always to be annoyed by my questions and in a bad mood. This plus the dental dashing and the crazy price had me out the door in less than 1minute. BTW I got the exact same contacts for about $150.

I still dont understand what was wrong with him.

The only person that has given me a negative response was my former OD (eye doc). I told him I got accepted to dental school and suddenly he goes off in to a tangent about dentistry being mechanical like working on a piece of wood and that the patient could be dead and it wouldn't make a difference.

It was crazy, he wouldn't stop talking about how being an OD was about working with people and more intellectualy challanging. This went on for about 30 minutes. I just bit my lip and stayed quiet until he gave me his price for one contact lense ($900). This guy is supposed to be one of the top ODs but seems to always to be annoyed by my questions and in a bad mood. This plus the dental dashing and the crazy price had me out the door in less than 1minute. BTW I got the exact same contacts for about $150.

I still dont understand what was wrong with him.

He must have been a med school wannabe who couldn't cut it, so he decided dentistry was his best option which in turn was rejected for dental school also. Therefore, his only options became OD, DPM or DC.

So, he now has a complex about those who want what he couldn't have!

Most common reactions:

-"I can't wait to get my teeth done for free in 4 yrs! I will be your first patient :D"

_"Cool! You're gonna be a dental assistant!"

-"You could have gotten in med school. Why dental school?"

-"You want to look at teeth all day? Cuz I couldn't"

-"You know they have the highest divorce and suicide rate?"

-"O, you know how much going to the dentist costs? It is so expensive and [here they give a long, personal story of how expensive it is]."

My family's first reaction was "why don't you want to be a doctor"? Which I know is not atypical at all. But then I told them that DDS stands for "Doctor of Dental Surgery" and they were like "ooooh! You're going to be a SURGEON!" So that's what they told people for a little while, but now I'm just a normal "dental student" who is going to be a "dentist" :D:thumbup:

-"You want to look at teeth all day? Cuz I couldn't"

I got this from a dude who was planning on going to medical school - he said, "Mouths are gross!" I made sure to brief him on the fact that he'd have to see the other end of the alimentary canal in medical school, not to mention other old, smelly nether regions.

Reactions: 1 user
After reading many of your posts, this just gives me another reason to be happy and proud that I came from a lower class family. Everyone I told was proud of me and supported me every step of the way. I could not imagine being around friends or family that laughed at me or suggested I do something "better" like become an MD. I would never want to live in an atmosphere like that and I would never respond like that to my children or peers. Maybe remembering where I came from keeps me grounded, but some of these responses are downright embarrassing and I feel bad that people are like this.

I got this from a dude who was planning on going to medical school - he said, "Mouths are gross!" I made sure to brief him on the fact that he'd have to see the other end of the alimentary canal in medical school, not to mention other old, smelly nether regions.

Condyloma Acuminata ftl. U usually hear the bullcrap coming from PRE-meds. I've never had a single one of my physicians ask me why I didn't go to med school or that "mouths are gross" when they asked me about my career path. :laugh:

Condyloma Acuminata ftl. U usually hear the bullcrap coming from PRE-meds. I've never had a single one of my physicians ask me why I didn't go to med school or that "mouths are gross" when they asked me about my career path. :laugh:
Several physicians and a DC stated they wished that they looked into dentistry when they were selecting a career. :thumbup:

Condylomas where they're *supposed* to be are bad enough, and definitely FTL.

The truly EPIC fail, however, is getting diagnosed with a condyloma...by your dentist.

Parents very unsupportive lol
Friends. half say okay, other half are iffy.
Everyone thinks im stoked to be an FP or Pediatric.
My old band mates still wish I was super dedicated to my drum kit :p

Overall, either I will prove to those who feel its the wrong choice that it is right. Or they will win and ill cry