How did they get in????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
On your MDApps you say you should have been an English major.

I, an English major, got a higher score than you on the Chemistry section of the MCAT. I should have been a Chemistry major.

English is the best major . . .

. . .if you enjoy literature.

and BOOM, ya burnt

Uh oh…..watch out man, rhesus thinks your a troll…..should I be scared?

yeah Playa, didn't you hear that I'm the new authority on troll identification around here? :D

Members don't see this ad.

im not insulting anyone....psych is beyond easy..........and if youve danced all your life....a dance degreee would be easy too....now music may be hard all give them that......i just want to know how their app is competitive......

and BOOM, ya burnt

yeah Playa, didn't you hear that I'm the new authority on troll identification around here? :D

No…..they need to let me know these things ahead of time…..im scared now :scared:

Im jealous btw, you probably get a cool badge and a cop hat…..not fair.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have been led to believe that a competitive med school app includes majoring in science. We have all proven that this is not true. Think about who told you this misinformation:

Premed advisors and word on the street.
Both of these groups know nothing about what it takes to be a doctor.

Physicians who interview us and decide on our applications have shown us year after year that what you major in does not determine the competitiveness of your app. I believe that majoring in what you are passionate about makes your app competitive because they can smell that passion in your essays and interviews.

People who want to be physicians tend to gravitate towards the humanities and the sciences because the profession is a very human one and scientific one. You'll spend two years learning the scientific foundation in heavy doses. How would you like to spend the first four years prior?

I can't believe...I got suckered into...feeding a troll...how shameful...

hahahahaha yall should be in a comic strip....you think dance and psychology is hard....med school just isnt as competitive as i thought it was....i did accounting and got a 2.7 nobody bangs out straight A's in accounting it just doesnt happen but i could have majored in something easy like marketing and got a 4.0 thats not impressive to me....biology is just a bunch of flash cards....where is this all this competitiveness coming from...?????? i took 4 of the 6 pre reqs and have a 3.5 .....how did a dance major and a psych major beat out a biochem major.....???????

Actually my college roommate got a 4.0 in Accounting.

I know you're a troll, but I'm just throwing it out there - it doesn't matter how they became more competitive than you. And it doesn't matter if I majored in Psyc and you didn't. You know why? I'm in med school and you're not. So, instead of sitting around complaining about what other people majored in, why don't you improve your application and make it competitive with all of us dumb liberal arts majors.

OP must not know about the dance competition held at every med school interview.... I have been improving my tap dance for Mayo.

Oh tap dance, wonderful! I decided to go for a nice jazz routine for my interviews. They loved my jazz hands.

Most people think that majoring in something like music or dance is easy, because they equate it with their little brother/sister scratching away on a violin and think anyone can do it.

To reach a high level of performance in a performing arts or athletic discipline requires discipline, commitment, and focus. You can't just cram the night before for a dance recital. Not only are those people well-rounded and diverse applicants, but those particular qualities are considered desirable in a physician.

Also, I'm pretty sure they still had to take all the science prereqs. Assuming they did well in those, then yeah, I'm sure they were pretty competitive applicants.

so totally agree with this. Also, these performance-based programs are usually very competitive. And really, have you ever worked long with a muscian? There is a reason a number of them have problems staying in relationships. There is a reason many of them have gotten bad raps. And it wasn't just Beethoven. They are often beyond sticklers for perfection and OCD. And some of them are absolutely brilliant.

Working with choreographers can be quite a pain too. You run it till your dead--b/c of their sense of absolute perfection.

When you get to the competitive and real performance level, it's no longer about child's play.

Those that do hardcore ballet are skin, muscle, and bone. Nothing other than muscle and their movement that is aesthetically pleasant.

Yes, regardless, you have take the pre-meds and do decently well on the MCAT.

True some may get in more on favors but not most by far.

It always amazes me how other people judge something without having actually walked in it or devoting themselves to it. It's like everyone thinks they can teach.

Oy veh.

Actually my college roommate got a 4.0 in Accounting.

I know you're a troll, but I'm just throwing it out there - it doesn't matter how they became more competitive than you. And it doesn't matter if I majored in Psyc and you didn't. You know why? I'm in med school and you're not. So, instead of sitting around complaining about what other people majored in, why don't you improve your application and make it competitive with all of us dumb liberal arts majors.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: So Owned!

I, an English major, got a higher score than you on the Chemistry section of the MCAT. I should have been a Chemistry major.

I wasn't referencing my MCAT score....I was referencing my AO GPA.....and excelling in the honors program...and there is no Chemistry section on the MCAT....

facepalm_implied.jpg

Doing well in maths and sciences requires intelligence and conceptual ability. Pretty much everyone can get As in music and dance classes given enough commitement, time, and effort. It is not a surprise to me that those people who perform well in maths and sciences have the highest paying jobs all around the world.

I am convinced that those music and dance majors getting accepted to med school have demonstrated strong maths and science ability through MCAT and prerequisite. So it does not bother me.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I wasn't referencing my MCAT score....I was referencing my AO GPA.....and excelling in the honors program...and there is no Chemistry section on the MCAT....

Sorry dude but I have to do this...

I, also an English major, got a 4.0 in my science pre-req's (and some upper div bio/chem classes too). I found them much easier than my major classes.

Does that mean all science classes are easy? Nope. Just means that some subjects are easier/more difficult for certain people.

Huh?? What MCAT did you take? Organic chemistry is half the bio section that one needs to study.

General chemistry is half the physical science section one needs to study.

OP must not know about the dance competition held at every med school interview.... I have been improving my tap dance for Mayo.

You'll have to be really good at that tap if you plan to beat my salsa dance. Mayo won't know what hit it.

OP: perhaps you should consider a career as a strawman. More even than a doctor, I think it's perfect for you.

I'm glad everyone on here had a chance to explain to the OP why he's completely ridiculous and narrow-minded in making these assumptions about other non-science majors. I'm just too tired to rip him a new one, but as a biology major, even I resent his post...

I'm glad everyone on here had a chance to explain to the OP why he's completely ridiculous and narrow-minded in making these assumptions about other non-science majors. I'm just too tired to rip him a new one, but as a biology major, even I resent his post...

Yeah I could never knock on someone in a different non science major cuz to this day I regret that I didn't do such. I think I shoulda gone into something that interested me and done some science courses on the science with maybe like 1 semester with 3 science classes. That would've been enough to get into med school if I did decent in them and did decent like I did in more recent times on the MCAT.

My friend got a 4.0 in his accounting courses and a 3.0 in his other classes. This is at one of the top 20 accounting programs in the nation btw.
People tend to generalize that psychology is easy because of general psychology and many easier courses which we take ( Pre- research methods/stat requiring classes). I know the upper level courses which I've taken have been relatively easy and aren't very interconnected outside of general knowledge. However when you get into research methodology and statistics of psychology you start to see the material become harder and more truly scientific.
There is a psychology which is before the research methodology and statistics gate and there is another psychology which is beyond that. That psychology is more like an organic chemistry class in relation to logic.

Now I wont say higher level accounting is easy. Now please don't tell me that classes which you can't even take and as such know about are easy.

English is the best major if you are a Literature emphasis :) Those writing emphasis kids are sketchy :p

English is the best major if you are a Literature emphasis :) Those writing emphasis kids are sketchy :p

Hey come on now. I loved my creative writing courses.

But yeah, some of those kids. . .

gerrybrown before you even go on another angry rant about how creative writing isn't competitive and all that I'll save you the trouble by giving you an answer.

Try this:

Write a sestina about the first memory you've ever had. Have it done by next wed. Print out 20 copies for the class. It will be read aloud and dissected by the class. You will receive much criticism and you will not be allowed to speak or defend your work.

And you will only get an A on it if it was one of the best in the class, ie the professor who is a published poet likes it.

Start writing now. Be careful though. When you present your written work to a class of 20, it's important to put thought into what you write before you press send. I recommend starting by looking up how to construct a sestina.

Doing well in maths and sciences requires intelligence and conceptual ability. Pretty much everyone can get As in music and dance classes given enough commitement, time, and effort. It is not a surprise to me that those people who perform well in maths and sciences have the highest paying jobs all around the world.

I am convinced that those music and dance majors getting accepted to med school have demonstrated strong maths and science ability through MCAT and prerequisite. So it does not bother me.

umm seriously? I took 13 years of piano lessons and I can barely play past the stupid level 3 books. That is plenty of time and effort. I would not have gotten through as a music major. Also in regards to dance... I am not a dancer myself but I am a former gymnast. At a certain level in gymnastics it didn't matter how hard you worked or how much time you put into it...you had to have the talent to back the hard work and time.

Hey come on now. I loved my creative writing courses.

But yeah, some of those kids. . .

Some of my favorite English classes were creative writing courses. I was just poking fun. :) At my school there is definitely a good natured rivalry between the writing and the lit kids (and the writing and the lit profs). Also I appreciated your defense of the creative writing kids. Peer critique days are agonizing at times.

Its not part of the current science versus non-science debate, but is anybody else really surprised when you see somebody accepted that:

*Has a 3.3 overall GPA, 3.1 science GPA
*28 MCAT
*No major research, volunteer work or "special" status.

Its frustrating since objectively and subjectively they shouldn't have been accepted...

i was talking to some 3rd yr's about previous education and i was completely surprised by their responses........one said their undergrad major was pyschology....the other said they majored in dance.....how is that a competitive app??? maybe im confused i thought it was hard to get into medical school...are they lying....??? is it all about the MCAT or something??? obviously your GPA is going to be high if you major in pysch....its nothing but reading.....i dont know about dance but other than the pre req's how would your app be competitive....are they just admitting students nowdays.....im definitely not knocking them...im just wondering how they beat out the 4.0 bio chem major who got waitlisted or what not...

If you write damn good work, the only agonizing thing is waiting your turn B-)

Oh I was referring to the listening to those sketchy writing emphasis kids while you waited your turn :p lol Naaa I am a lit emphasis for a reason. My attempts at poetry are almost as horrible as Stephanie Meyer's attempts at a novel. Though I did write a mock epic on the maturation of sperm once. It was well....epic.

Doesn't bother me. That's what averages are for. Though I have yet to meet someone with those stats who has been accepted.

It's not worth getting frustrated over others. If they get in with those stats I'm sure they'll be a great classmate to have around. Their personality would have compensated for lack of numbers.

Two schools I know encourage continuing your passion for literature:

Stony Brook has a MD with recognition program which encourages you to continue research in your field while at medical school. One student wrote a paper on whether or not it is ethical to provide psychiatric care to depressed artists, as you would be taking away their livelihood.

Temple has a journal called pulse or something that features stories, essays, poems, and photography by med students.

The MD with recognition is a great thing to talk about at residency interviews when complemented with solid test scores and clinicals.

There is a psychology which is before the research methodology and statistics gate and there is another psychology which is beyond that. That psychology is more like an organic chemistry class in relation to logic.

Ugh tell me about it. I'm taking an animal learning and behavior class...signed up for it thinking "woo, easy class, rats pressing levers!" Oh god was I ever wrong. There isn't a straightforward answer to anything and everything is based on theories that may or may not be right. So when you're asked what a rat learns when it presses a lever to get food in response to a tone, well, pick one of 30 theories and then figure it out. And support it with experimental evidence. And make sure that there's a theory that makes it ok for you to use that evidence to support that other theory. Also know the names of every scientist behind every theory. But remember, some of those scientists changed their minds after ten years and came up with a different theory. Also, essay test! Have fun!

ungh.

Ugh tell me about it. I'm taking an animal learning and behavior class...signed up for it thinking "woo, easy class, rats pressing levers!" Oh god was I ever wrong. There isn't a straightforward answer to anything and everything is based on theories that may or may not be right. So when you're asked what a rat learns when it presses a lever to get food in response to a tone, well, pick one of 30 theories and then figure it out. And support it with experimental evidence. And make sure that there's a theory that makes it ok for you to use that evidence to support that other theory. Also know the names of every scientist behind every theory. But remember, some of those scientists changed their minds after ten years and came up with a different theory. Also, essay test! Have fun!

ungh.

Yup those classes are deep thought classes. But the fun part is that as long as you can support your premise you'll get points. It's classes like this which really build up mental schema's and pathways of cognitive thought and I always find them much more intriguing then classes characterized by you memorizing 60 muscles and their articulations for a lab practical and then having to spit them out.