How did you feel when you got accepted...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DNALadder2002

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you're a first or second year, you'll still recognize or remember the feeling. How did you feel when you received your first acceptance letter to medical school? Did you feel, at last, that God was smiling upon you?
How I envy as I wait on the letters and e-mails from schools...

Members don't see this ad.

Monday morning returning a call to the dean's Office (being called off the wait list)

I yelled for joy when I got off the phone (thankfully none or my roomie were home)

-S-

Hey it's really in early in the game, don't complain ;). I was pulled off the wait list in the latter half of July. I got a call from my dad while I was at work, first I didn't believe him, had to ask him repeatedly "Are you sure? Are you sure?". Then I felt soooo relieved I can't even describe it, mixed in with some disbelief. I couldn't make a real big fuss cause I was at work ;).

Members don't see this ad :)
I was sitting outside my boss's office waiting to talk to him about a somewhat unpleasant matter when my office mate came to tell me that SLU had called me. I don't think I've ever run to the phone so fast in my life. When I called I got the dean who told me that I had been accepted; I got in off the waitlist in the middle of July (16th to be exact). My mom cried when she found out because I had waited so long and this was my second time applying (I was on 6 waitlist which was very frusturating). I just walked around for the next few hours with a stupid smile on my face, still not believing that I'd actually been accepted. :) To sweeten the whole thing, I got into Tufts off the waitlist the next day and am now an M'05 there. Getting into med school was one of the best experiences of my life because I now have the opportunity to do what I've wanted to for so many years. Hope your experiences are great too!

It seems all of the late July acceptees are posting here. I was on the wait list at two schools in my second year of applying. I had also applied to dental school (on the advise of a dental student friend) and had nearly given up on medical school. I had just sent in my $1500.00 deposit to a dental school on a Friday. On Monday I came home to find a message on my machine from one of my waitlist schools. They didn't leave details on the message, but I was excited anyway. I called them back and got my acceptance. I was in shock (in a good way) for the next couple of hours and I think I actually "jumped" with joy. I was ready to give up my deposit on the dental school but the admissions chair was nice enough to say he would not deposit it and wished me luck. As a side note, to give some hope to those on wait lists, I was number 86 on the wait lits when I first started! Good luck to you all.

By the way, I'm a fourth year student and still remember the emotions from when I got that acceptance.

Currently I attend KyungHee University in

South Korea majoing in oriental medicine.

When I first knew I got accepted, I was so

happy that I just had to cry out loud.

It felt like years before the call.

Good luck for you!

I LITERALLY cried (actually I was sobbing! :D)

I was diligently stalking my mailman that day and when I opened my box, I saw a big FAT envelope (big FAT envelopes are always a good sign). I was actually too scared to pull it out, so I just craned my head to see the return address that said "University of Florida - Medical Selection Commity"...it was all over then! I think my neighbors must have thought I was nuts since it must have taken me 2 minutes to wrestle that damn package out of my tiny little box (my hands were shaking!)! :D

I called on the day when the adcom has the conference for the big decision about acceptance/rejection. When I called to check about 4:30pm, they had just finished the conference and i was told that I was percieved very favorably and was offered the seat for next year. After I hung up, despite my previous resolution to kneel down and pray to our Almighty God upon the good news of acceptance, but instead I found myself, leaping through the air, exactly like how Michael Jordan did when he won his first championship, jumping up in the air and throwing his arms madly. No one was home, so then I came into my room to dance with loud music. So I danced in front of the mirror alone for about 30 minutes, blasting the music. The feeling still hovers around me unappeased, and undiminished.
* correction on Guardian up there, he forgot to mention that he snuck out of his work and into the restroom to celebrate his acceptance, smiling and giggling. That's what he told me but God knows what he really did there. Hey, John I finally see you here, hope you read this!

OH my!!!! Ha ha!!

This is a great thread! It felt so good reading all your replies. Hopefully, I'll be able to "revive" this thread in a few months and add my feelings. I think I'd be smiling like an idiot and acting like a lunatic...we'll see.

Who knows what Guardian did in the restroom; maybe he reenacted that scene from Top Gun b/c he felt like "the man." ;) ;)

Mr. MD/DO, you are too funny! That's something I'd probably do, except I wouldn't dance in front of the mirror; I'd probably dance in the streets...

Anyways, great uplifting stories... :) :) :)

The infamous Mr MD/DO! AkA iN dA hOuSe!!! :D

You never mentioned about dancing in front of the mirror for half an hour. And I still have yet to see the scissor dance!

That was a pretty unforgettable two weeks. I was also pulled off two more waitlists and had the opportunity to tell my not-so-thrilled boss. No one at my work knew I was waitlisted. So I either had to celebrate in the bathroom or the mouse house. I didn't want to subject the mice to more torture ;).

well, I definately don't have to think back to far on my acceptance feelings since I just got my letter last week!! When I opened it at the mailbox I was pretty freaked out. I called every family member and friend I could think of at the time. It's an amazing feeling. Now I'm struggling with the day to day routine of class to finish my degree. gotta do it though.

You'll get there. Just keep waiting and waaiting and waiting...

later and good luck

I got a letter in the mail, but it wasn't one of those little white ones that I was used to getting, it was one of those big yellow ones with the metal tabs and I thought to myself..."hmmmm this is kind of thick. I wonder what they're sending me."
Now I'm in med school and it's too hard and I want to sleep.
:p :( :rolleyes:

Well, I just got accepted, so I'll try to explain what happened.

I called at 7:20 this morning (the school is in the next time zone) figuring that 20 minutes was enough for them to get their coffee and be at their desks. The woman put me on hold two times, and the second time really put me off. I was sure I was rejected, and when she said the committee had not taken action on my file, I could have cried. (no action taken is code for "rejection" at Kentucky when an applicant calls)

I tried to eat breakfast, but I was really too sad. I was so let down, but I was starting to come to grips with the fact that I didn't get into my top choice school, and starting to really wonder if I'd get into ANY school.

Then, 30 minutes later, my phone rings. It was the admissions office with the good news. It seems that the receptionist didn't have access yet to the decisions because today is Oct 15, and they were late letting her know that she could tell us.

I was so ecstatic, and I still am. I don't think I'll ever forget the feeling. :) Now that it's over, I think my first call has taught me what it feels like to not make it. I'll definitely be careful of others' feelings who didn't get in.

...i peed myself.

-d

ps: i just did it again

I am happy for everyone that knows the feeling, and keep my fingers crossed for those still waiting. The real trick is remembering that feeling when you feel like you are running on a log in the water and one false step and you fall in the drink!!!

This is a good thread. So many opinions (and rightfully so) on the forum -- often we forget that we all have some things in common. Good thread.

The school I was accepted to sent out three batches of acceptances prior to sending out denials and alternates. My acceptance was mailed on the last round, so I was starting to worry. I was at work when it came thru certified mail, and nobody was home to receive it, so I had a nice little piece of paper in my mailbox telling me that they had mail waiting to be picked up at the post office. Well, by the time I checked the mail the post office was closed, so I had to wait unil the next morning. I sort of figured it was an acceptance (why would they send a rejection thur certified mail), so I was about 80% sure I was in. I didn't sleep much the night before and 7:30 could not get there soon enough. I remember the guy at the post office couldn't find the envelope on the shelf and from across the counter I was staring at a large envelope and I told him to check it. (I rememberd from when I passed the CPA Exam that a large envelope is good, and a small one was not). Finding out I got in ranks in the top 10 moments in life, that's for sure.

Hey folks. I also received mine last week - my mother called me at work to say that a Dr. had called and left a message on the answering machine for me at home. So I called - apparently it was the Dean of Admissions at MJMS, who then told me the great news over the phone!!!

the dean called me and said (these are his words) "i was out of town last week, and i came back and they told me to ask you if you want to come to our med school. So you wanna come?" I stammered "sure" before I turned on the speakerphone so that the phone wouldn't drop out of my hands. After I recovered in a few hours, I called as a "next year's applicant" and asked if the school required a college degree to matriculate. When they said no, I dropped out of college and travelled around asia and europe for 3 months.
good luck to everyone.

u gotta admit, it's worth waiting a few months. after paying a large sum for the application forms, and running here n there preparing for the interview, it all seems worth it. the moment i got the offer letter, it was raining rose petals in my room! (lil' exaggeration eh?) :D