How did you go through USMLE World Questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Atomic1000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would be great if you guys vote AND include your suggestions (whatever comes to mind) regarding doing questions.

Thanks to JeffLebowski for suggesting to create a poll to answer my question.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well, like I said in the other thread, I didn't do a pure random. I just did a random selection of all subjects I'd reviewed.

Well, like I said in the other thread, I didn't do a pure random. I just did a random selection of all subjects I'd reviewed.

In my opinion that qualifies as random. Although kudos, that sounds like a good strategy if you structure your studying by subject/area like that.

I liked random, I felt like it kept me on my toes. Sure during questions on the subject I just reviewed might have helped things stick more but I liked how random questions would allow me to review stuff I had studied in previous weeks. When I got stuff wrong or I had questions I would go back and review some material pertaining to that particular question... so I felt like I was seeing enough of other material to keep from forgetting it. Otherwise I wouldn't see cardio material for another 2 weeks until I got through everything again.

Also I didn't want to mess with the question distribution. Doing all random questions allowed me to consistently guage my progress throughout blocks of 50 questions. It was encouraging to see my scores progressively increase right up until the day of the test.

Members don't see this ad :)
Although...I will say that you should keep an eye on your question distribution, because for some reason even doing "All subjects, unused, random", it depleted some subjects way before others. Which kind of psyched me out a little, but realistically probably didn't make a lick of difference. Still, I feel like UW should fix that glitch and have the distribution of questions per subject per test be proportional to the overall question bank subject distribution.

How about the first 1/2 of questions systematic, the second half random?

Thats what I'm doing.

I did an organ based review, checking off path, pathphys, pharm, and phys on the left and the organ system on the right.

Then I did a subject review for immuno, behav, biochem, anat, embryo, etc.

I made sure to only use 1/2 of the questions.

Then I made the remainder of my tests selecting unused, all disciplines, all systems.

Got about 500 left, averaging around 75% or so, between the mid 60s, and mid 80s.