How did your "friends" react when you got in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Udreamin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I always hear about the good reactions and the sad reactions from family/friends. I have read a lot of this kind of content on SDN too.

But what about "friends"? Old high school friends that you haven't talked to in forever? Acquaintances that you were never really sure supported you? "Friends" that always looked down on you a little or never thought you were bright enough for medical school? Other competitive pre-meds that doubted you while they were in the same process? Cynical professors?

Any good stories about how your enemies/villains reacted when you got in? If so, share them.

ps: I realize getting into medical school shouldn't be about the ego stroke or the prestige, but there's got to be some good stories of validation/frustration within many accepted students' social network.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
One of them lit a cigarette and put it in his butthole, "so this is what it's like to get lit up" he screamed.

Reactions: 23 users
Sounds like you need new friends, OP

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My close friends were all very happy and supportive. Even old high school or childhood friends that I hadn't talked to in a while were happy and sent me nice congratulatory messages. It made me enjoy my acceptance even more.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Silence from the doubters... wouldn't have it any other way

Reactions: 22 users
Not about med school cause i'm still in undergrad. But I do have a story about how a cynical 7th grade teacher reacted when I told him about getting into a top 20 undergrad school (which I decided not to attend due to personal reasons).

I went into his classroom and automatically he sneered at me with a fake "hello". We made small talk and I told him I got accepted into the school. He said, and I quote, "Well I hope they didn't make a mistake cause that would suck!"

He probably meant it but tried his best about making it come off as a friendly joke

I'd imagine most people's friends would be happy...hence the definition of a friend.

There was this one girl who lived in my freshman dorm who used to call me a "fake premed" (to my face) because she thought I'd never be able to get in. She'll probably never know she was wrong, but I like to think she does and that it drives her crazy

My one co-worker is hating on me. Haters gonna hate unfortunately. Don't need em

My friends were supportive throughout the entire process: helping me get to the airport for interviews, making pro/con lists with me when I was choosing between schools, even bringing champagne to my MCAT testing site so we could celebrate immediately after I finished the test.

The only person I wish I could have tracked down to tell was my freshman college advisor. He tried to talk me out of taking an advanced math series because "honestly, women aren't very good at things like that". It wasn't medical school-related, but it pissed me off enough to make me think about him anytime I achieve something important in my life.

Reactions: 22 users
Haters gone hate.

I'd imagine most people's friends would be happy...hence the definition of a friend.

There was this one girl who lived in my freshman dorm who used to call me a "fake premed" (to my face) because she thought I'd never be able to get in. She'll probably never know she was wrong, but I like to think she does and that it drives her crazy

Find out her email address and email her 589 copies of each of the acceptance letters you have received

Reactions: 2 users
No one really cared because truthfully no one really understands the difficulty of getting in. Then again, I don't really care that the majority of the population doesn't understand. My ex-girlfriend (nursing student at the time, now nurse) once said, "medical school is not that difficult to get into, anyone could do it really."

My closest friends obviously know and were excited, but prime example: Mother told co-workers excitedly after she found out and majority responded with "Oh, that's nice." Same with my non-best-friends.

It's an accomplishment for me and my supportive family!

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No one really cared because truthfully no one really understands the difficulty of getting in. Then again, I don't really care that the majority of the population doesn't understand. My ex-girlfriend (nursing student at the time, now nurse) once said, "medical school is not that difficult to get into, anyone could do it really."

My closest friends obviously know and were excited, but prime example: Mother told co-workers excitedly after she found out and majority responded with "Oh, that's nice." Same with my non-best-friends.

It's an accomplishment for me and my supportive family!

Second^

Most people were just confused why I was so excited to get accepted to a school that wasn't particularly prestigious or hard to get into for undergrad

Reactions: 7 users
Some of my friends didn't even care about my process and acceptance until they decided to go pre med themselves smh. So now they want to know ALL the details.

I've had mostly positive reactions, although one or a few people have been jealous and seem to have distanced themselves...

Everyone peripheral in my life has mostly just been like "oh good for you", the way you do when someone you don't particularly care about achieves something impressive

My friends were supportive throughout the entire process: helping me get to the airport for interviews, making pro/con lists with me when I was choosing between schools, even bringing champagne to my MCAT testing site so we could celebrate immediately after I finished the test.

The only person I wish I could have tracked down to tell was my freshman college advisor. He tried to talk me out of taking an advanced math series because "honestly, women aren't very good at things like that". It wasn't medical school-related, but it pissed me off enough to make me think about him anytime I achieve something important in my life.
Annoying people sometime help you in the ways you never think about. I still remember this guy who constantly just talk about himself. He was also premed. The last time I heard from him I was getting a bunch of invites and he wasn't. That made him extremely quiet

I felt bad for him, but somehow I was satisfied. I'm a bad person. :(

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Was a particularly bad kid in high school. Amazing that a college accepted me kind of thing. After my acceptance I went back to see one teacher in particular that got fed up and said that I'd never amount to anything and to get an application for mcdonalds after graduation... Probably one of the most satisfying moments was rubbing her nose in it. Could kind of tell it shook her worldview cause she was so sure I was going to be a POS.

Was a particularly bad kid in high school. Amazing that a college accepted me kind of thing. After my acceptance I went back to see one teacher in particular that got fed up and said that I'd never amount to anything and to get an application for mcdonalds after graduation... Probably one of the most satisfying moments was rubbing her nose in it. Could kind of tell it shook her worldview cause she was so sure I was going to be a POS.
I was also told I was a good for nothing in high school. I haven't had the opportunity to update any of my old teachers though. To be fair though, I didn't do much school work in high school.

Got me schwasted...i mean bought me a few drinks...>_>

I always hear about the good reactions and the sad reactions from family/friends. I have read a lot of this kind of content on SDN too.

But what about "friends"? Old high school friends that you haven't talked to in forever? Acquaintances that you were never really sure supported you? "Friends" that always looked down on you a little or never thought you were bright enough for medical school? Other competitive pre-meds that doubted you while they were in the same process? Cynical professors?

Any good stories about how your enemies/villains reacted when you got in? If so, share them.

ps: I realize getting into medical school shouldn't be about the ego stroke or the prestige, but there's got to be some good stories of validation/frustration within many accepted students' social network.

Jesus dude what a negative environment you've grown up in.. Were you really treated that bad?

My friends didn't make a big deal about me getting in. I don't think they really understand how difficult and stressful it is.
Typical reaction was "oh that's cool I knew you'd do it"

Mine were more supportive than I thought!! Lol. Even had a small party and everything!

Lots of congrats from people I wouldn't have expected them from haha

They all cut off contact from me. Well, my closest group of friends in college did. There was 5 of us, I dated one, he got in too. But when I told them, they ignored my messaged. Also I made a fb status (lame I know, but I was sooo happy) which they ignored too. Then they posted a picture in which they all hung out together.:D:D:D Oh i found out on my bday too which they completely ignored as well hahaha

edit: my parents expected me to so they were like lol ok good job. They were happy though.

They all cut off contact from me. Well, my closest group of friends in college did. There was 5 of us, I dated one, he got in too. But when I told them, they ignored my messaged. Also I made a fb status (lame I know, but I was sooo happy) which they ignored too. Then they posted a picture in which they all hung out together.:D:D:D Oh i found out on my bday too which they completely ignored as well hahaha

edit: my parents expected me to so they were like lol ok good job. They were happy though.
Omg, get some new friends. They sound like scum.

Why do you care what your "friends" think, if they're not your without-quotation-marks friends?
Do you live life with a "block out all the bad" and "only listen to the good" approach?
7VNebZN.png

I may have more enemies than most people (a product of the culture I live in and the personality I have) but I have friends and family willing to drive 500 miles just to jump my car.

There is not a lot more satisfying than proving the haters wrong, but I am sure some just don't care about that kind of thing. W.e.

Omg, get some new friends. They sound like scum.
Well I don't have much of a choice lol I don't think they even want to be friends anymore anyways.

I don't understand why this is a thread. Some care. Some don't. That's the way it is.

I don't understand why this is a comment. Some care, some don't.

Those who don't care usually just don't comment, but some don't.

they liked my instagram pics and said congratulations

How/why do people still keep in touch with such a long list of characters they don't enjoy talking to?

haters gonna h8.

My family and professors/letter writers were happy. My mentor took me to dinner and was moved to tears, as he was instrumental in my transformation from college dropout loser to successful medical school applicant. No "friends" in the sense of the word used here.

Reactions: 2 users
My family and professors/letter writers were happy. My mentor took me to dinner and was moved to tears, as he was instrumental in my transformation from college dropout loser to successful medical school applicant. No "friends" in the sense of the word used here.
Is that normal for people to tell their letter writers? I thought about it but I don't really talk to them anymore and didn't think they would care.

I didn't tell any "friends" or enemies about it. Why would I? But my friends and family were all happy.

I be honest, I just imagined the super intense pre-meds in undergraduate, and OP came to mind instantly.

No one I grew up with went to medical school except maybe one of our valedictorians in the past 8 years. So I guess it's a new thing locally and my home friends don't really get it. But around New England the response i get from most people including on this site is "oh so you're not going to Harvard... prob not worth it, you wont get a worthwhile residency anyways" Not ever in my life have I made any inclination that I was gunning for that, people just hate to see other people happy. I've never made any inclinations to what specialty I'd even remotely be interested in but i think it's kind of lame that everyones first motivation for me so far is to make sure to put me in check. "hey congrats I guess but make sure you know it's really not that great". People in your life always are looking for ways to bring you down. Gotta ignore them.

I received few congratulations and my parents response was the same when I got into my first school: " Great but did you hear from Harvard?" I was not raised in a perfectionist home and no one in my family has ever gone to an ivy league school so I was pretty surprised at this response.

I guess no matter what you accomplish the lesson is that nothing matters except what you think and how you view yourself.

Last edited:
But around New England the response i get from most people including on this site is "oh so you're not going to Harvard... prob not worth it, you wont get a worthwhile residency anyways"
Ha I've gotten a different response. I have a family member that works in a hospital. When I went to interview at NYU the doctors said to her that it doesn't matter if I go to a better school, just pick a cheap one near home because residency is all that matters anyway.

They kinda have a point but I don't really want to spend the rest of my life in Iowa/Wisconsin/Illinois, which is where most of their classes matched.

Ha I've gotten a different response. I have a family member that works in a hospital. When I went to interview at NYU the doctors said to her that it doesn't matter if I go to a better school, just pick a cheap one near home because residency is all that matters anyway.

They kinda have a point but I don't really want to spend the rest of my life in Iowa/Wisconsin/Illinois, which is where most of their classes matched.

I agree man. def not trying to change the direction of the thread, Just trying to share my experience so far. Not so good. Just want to get to school at this point I just think it's crazy how far people will go to bring you down. I for one am really excited for whats to come.:)

I graduated high school a decade ago. Applying in a year (maybe 2). I was a terrible student in grade school, but I can't remember any teachers well enough to find them and prove them wrong. I don't have the energy, plus, they wouldn't remember me anyways.

Is that normal for people to tell their letter writers? I thought about it but I don't really talk to them anymore and didn't think they would care.

I didn't tell any "friends" or enemies about it. Why would I? But my friends and family were all happy.

It is common courtesy to inform your letter writers.

I was close with my letter writers, 75% of whom were former professors. They were all very happy to hear that I got in. I just figured that if I helped someone achieve such a time-intensive goal, I would like to know.