How did your practice for your interview??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zackscoot

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all of you who got interviews... congrat. How did you guys practice or planning on practice for your interviews???

Is there any good books to get just for interviews???

Members don't see this ad.

read SDN interview pages to see what kind of questions they usually like to ask

mentally prepare for all of the questions, getting an idea of how I'd respond to all of them. good questions to consider are "why medicine" and figuring out your strengths/weaknesses.

I'm taking a Biomedical Ethics class this fall specifically for that purpose (Canadian school interviews are very heavy on ethics - it's usually MMIs and not standard interviews). Once I get a US interview or it starts getting close to Canadian interview times (Feb-March), I'll start going through the questions posted on SDN.

Members don't see this ad :)
See if your school does mock interviews. I found that to be really helpful in easing my nerves and preparing me for what it would actually be like.

My school has interview workshops that I plan to check out this week. Should be interesting.

Any good books that i should checkout, like books with alot of interview questions???

I did this:

First I checked out the interview feedback and made a list of questions I needed to have answers to for each school.

Then I wrote answers for each of those questions (after my first interview the worst of this is done because a lot of questions are repeated).

I had really well prepared responses to all the questions but ESPECIALLY "tell me about yourself" "why medicine?" "why our school" "why this location (often incorporated into why our school)" as well as brief discussions of all my AMCAS activities and anything I mentioned on the secondary for that school.

Biggest recommendation I can give you is to get VERY comfortable talking about yourself and your activities. The more you can say about yourself and the things you do the more likely the interview will be conversational (which is GREAT!) and not so much of an interogation. If you can talk about yourself and your own activities and passions for the whole interview then you will probably not get ethics questions and pain in the ass BS like that.

I would practice silently using SDN Interview questions. Then I'd have a mock interview with my mom :oops:.