how difficult it is to get into your first choice job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bk2va03

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a bsn student and i was wondering how difficult it is to get into your first choice job? right after graduation, how many hospitals did you apply to, and did all of them call you back. i know that there is a huge shortage for nurses, but i was wondering if you are pretty much hired if you apply. right after graduation, i personally would like to work at john hopkins or georgetown university hospital. Does anyone know how difficult it would be to land an icu position at one of the two hospitals? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It shouldn't be too hard for you to get an ICU slot at either place. Just keep a few things in mind as a new grad:

1. Yes, there is a nursing shortage, but that does not mean that you can walk into a facility and get whatever you want. More than likely, you will have to be willing to accept a position on 3-11/11-7, or 7p-7a. There will be weekends and holidays, too. (Just keep that in mind...some newbies think that hospitals will give them whatever they want because they are so desperate for nurses. That doesn't happen too often, and when it does, it's kind of a bad sign about the hospital.)

2. Make sure that there is a strong internship/precepting program. Do not, under any circumstances, go somewhere that does not have a solid course for new nurses. You do not want to be in the position of being thrown to the wolves...not a great way to learn.

3. Don't overlook smaller hospitals. Yes, it may sound great to say "I work CVICU at Hot Shot University Hospital," but sometimes places like that are so big you can get lost in the shuffle and be shortchanged during your orientation.

Good luck!

I became a nurse about 6 years ago and got the job of my choice. I took a position as an ICU nurse that had a 5 month long preceptorship. I had to be on nights for about 6 onths and then I switched to days. I started at about $30,000 a year, but was up to $50,000 by the beginning of my second year ( no benefits.) Nurses at my hospital were making easily 6 figures with overtime ( again no benefits) as ICU was often short staffed and management handed out bonuses and double time frequently. After year one I bought my husband a truck and year two myself a Corvette. An ICU nurse is a great job that I would highly recommend.