How do adcoms view attending a medical conference?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheLeadSeed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I am currently a senior undergrad student applying next spring cycle. First off, I'm surprised I haven't seen any threads about this at all, so hopefully I'm not posting in wrong place.

This September, I'll be attending the OMED Conference (Osteopathic Medical Conference) as a Pre-SOMA (Pre-Student Osteopathic Medical Association) participant held in Anaheim, California. There will be guest speakers, osteopathic doctors, med students, pre-med students, and finally adcoms.

I'm mainly attending for my own benefit, to learn more about osteopathic medicine, and just to be in an environment surrounded by like-minded people who have a similar interest and background. Even though I am excited, this trip is costing me around $700 for flight, hotel, transportation, etc., and it's all out of my own pocket.

Besides the positives I just mentioned, is this conference really worth the money? Will adcoms view me in a more positive light due to the fact I'm traveling across the country on my own for this conference?

Aside from this particular trip, my stats are 3.4cGPA/3.2sGPA with planned April MCAT, leadership and volunteering, and 3 DO letters.

I'm just hoping I make the most of this conference and it pays off in the end. Thanks everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

You can mention it in your apps, it will give you something to say during interview about how you explore the professions. other than that, i think it's for your own benefit. i never did mention in my apps I attended the national pre-med convention at UC Davis.
You can get to meet some adcoms and ask specific question about the admission process too, I guess that's very valuable (for me, it is)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Doesn't mean much for adcoms. They care about the long term stuff, not the short term. Do it for your own benefit.

I also attended the UC Davis conference years ago, but didn't put it on my app. Did it for myself.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I went to the SNMA conference in New Orleans a year or two back, didn't even mention it in my apps. I mean, anyone can go to a conference, so why would this set you apart? As opposed to the student who has a gazillion hours volunteering in hospice, or the medical scribe, or person who speaks three languages, etc. That being said it was a great experience. New Orleans was fun and I got a TON a of good information from ad-coms and med students.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't pay $700 out of my pocket to go to the conference. I'm actually choosing not to go, it's pushed at our school.
It won't really give you a leg up other than something to talk about.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, I was really 50/50 in deciding.

But now I figure I'm doing this for my own personal experience, learn about myself, meet great people, learn to travel on my own, etc.

Thanks for all the answers everyone!

It might impress some of my DO colleagues. the rest of us, not really, unless you were doing a poster or giving a presentation.

PS: you might actually run into me at OMED.

Hey all! I am currently a senior undergrad student applying next spring cycle. First off, I'm surprised I haven't seen any threads about this at all, so hopefully I'm not posting in wrong place.

This September, I'll be attending the OMED Conference (Osteopathic Medical Conference) as a Pre-SOMA (Pre-Student Osteopathic Medical Association) participant held in Anaheim, California. There will be guest speakers, osteopathic doctors, med students, pre-med students, and finally adcoms.

I'm mainly attending for my own benefit, to learn more about osteopathic medicine, and just to be in an environment surrounded by like-minded people who have a similar interest and background. Even though I am excited, this trip is costing me around $700 for flight, hotel, transportation, etc., and it's all out of my own pocket.

Besides the positives I just mentioned, is this conference really worth the money? Will adcoms view me in a more positive light due to the fact I'm traveling across the country on my own for this conference?

Aside from this particular trip, my stats are 3.4cGPA/3.2sGPA with planned April MCAT, leadership and volunteering, and 3 DO letters.

I'm just hoping I make the most of this conference and it pays off in the end. Thanks everyone!

It might impress some of my DO colleagues. the rest of us, not really, unless you were doing a poster or giving a presentation.

PS: you might actually run into me at OMED.

If I go and I'm able to identify you, then can I have an autograph and with your famous saying:

"Patience is a virtue, the need for instant gratification isn't. -Goro"

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If you manage to find me, I'll tell our wily old Admissions dean to admit you on the spot!

If I go and I'm able to identify you, then can I have an autograph and with your famous saying:

"Patience is a virtue, the need for instant gratification isn't. -Goro"

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for the replies everyone! Yes, I am looking forward to attending and now understand how it will be an invaluable experience!

Haha, #FindGoro2016 is on! :clap: @Goro @UserUnidentified420

*meets person*

"Goro?"

*meets next person*

"Goro??"

*meets squirrel outside*

"Goro????"

Reactions: 3 users
Hey Everyone,

Didn't want to start a new thread since this was already in place. I just signed up to attend the SOMA Fall Convention at OMED, and I'm confused because it seems as though they're two separate events at the same location? I'm confused because my payment was for SOMA Fall Convention, which I think only gives me access to that but not the rest of OMED? Can anyone elaborate on how this works? I am mainly interested in attending the area where most of the fellow pre-med students will be at, as well as have the ability to network with various admissions representatives from various medical schools.

@Goro ?