How do DO schools view re-applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drsmpc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that MD schools have a strong stigma against re-applicants. Do DO schools have the same perception of re-applicants?

Members don't see this ad.

Why would MD or DO schools have a "strong stigma" against re-applicants? I'm pretty sure some osteopathic schools publicly encourage people to reapply if they didn't get in last cycle.

Why would MD or DO schools have a "strong stigma" against re-applicants?

I've read this in a few allopathic threads, including one where gyngyn remarked that there was a stigma against re-applicants. Made me wonder if DO schools would have the same philosophy. I think with any re-applicant, the adcoms expect them to fill in any holes in their application. But beyond that, does being labeled a re-applicant make the adcom treat the candidate differently?

Im sure these schools vary from school to school though.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm fairly certain the stigma is against reapplicants who have done nothing to improve their app since their last attempt. I don't think, and I might be wrong here, that just being labeled a reapplicant is a negative.

All we want to see is that you've improved your app since the last cycle.

We also have no way of knowing if you've applied previously to other DO schools other than our own.

I always take it for granted that our applicants have tried at least one MD cycle, or a MD+ DO cycle currently. We don't take it personally.

I know that MD schools have a strong stigma against re-applicants. Do DO schools have the same perception of re-applicants?

All we want to see is that you've improved your app since the last cycle.

We also have no way of knowing if you've applied previously to other DO schools other than our own.

I always take it for granted that our applicants have tried at least one MD cycle, or a MD+ DO cycle currently. We don't take it personally.

Awesome, thank-you for the insight Goro!

I think SDN views reapplicants more negatively than adcoms do. A great deal of my classmates are reapplicants

Reactions: 1 users
I believe this is a wrong perception. Reapplicants with kick-ass improvements will be positively considered as more experienced and mature applicants. However, reapplicants with no improvements = fail.