How do I find a doc to shadow in a week?

Started by qmcat
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

qmcat

Heat
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I was recently accepted to this med school, and one of the conditions of my acceptance (besides the $100 deposit) is that I have to shadow a physician and send the school an essay about my experiences as a shadow. The school is asking me to tell them the name of the doc(s) I'm going to shadow by the start of Dec, giving me about a week to find a physician to shadow.

I'm just wondering... how do I find a physician to shadow in such a short period of time. Doesn't it take a few weeks to set up something like this? Am I screwed or what... :scared:
 
Who the heck accepts on the condition that you add an EC to your application? I've never even heard of that.
 
Who the heck accepts on the condition that you add an EC to your application? I've never even heard of that.

Yea it's really lame. It's because I got in without any shadowing experience. The only clinical experience I have is opening a free clinic in my city for homeless ppls. All of the docs I worked with are from a certain "big name institution" that will only let undergrads from "big name institution" shadow there.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
my suggestions would be (1) to ask your own physician because you already have a relationship with them or (2) ask your school career center to help connect you with any alumni physicians in your area
thats just what i would do, but it might not be applicable in your case.
hope this helps and good luck! :luck:
 
Yea it's really lame. It's because I got in without any shadowing experience. The only clinical experience I have is opening a free clinic in my city for homeless ppls. All of the docs I worked with are from a certain "big name institution" that will only let undergrads from "big name institution" shadow there.
Well contact them and tell them your predicament. One should crack and help you out. Also, take full advantage of the Osteopathic mentor link given.
 
Some of the DO schools will accept you but want you to get a DO LOR if you don't have one. Yeah it sucks, but I can see the reasoning. They're asking themselves, "Does this kid know what he's getting himself into?"

Thanks, I'll try the website. I think I'll call the school also to ask if shadowing a DO is okay (it should be). The school that is requesting me to do this is an MD school. :/