How do I get 'experience?'

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjk470

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I am a newly graduated, newly licensed pharmacist, but I have been a little bit down in the dumps with the job market. I applied to residency (phase I and II) and did not match. Starting after Phase I in March, I also began looking for and applying for jobs. I have applied to over 50 positions, interviewed for one, and was not selected. When asking for feedback after residency interviews and with my mentors, I keep hearing that they are looking for candidates with 'more experience,' and if I applied again in a year, I would be a great candidate. So, my question today is how do I get this experience, especially good quality experience? I am looking for a position that will take the time to not only train me at their location but also invest in my learning as a new pharmacist. Thank you all! I look forward to any advice you have to offer!

Members don't see this ad.

I do think networking is the key, if you have any old preceptors/know other previous pharmacy students I'd reach out to them regarding jobs and experience. Also, is your market limitless or confined? I think as long as you're open to going multiple places for jobs that will put you a step ahead. I know one of my friends last year had to wait almost 8 months before she found a job. I think most people in my class tried to make sure they had back-up plans/had started networking before they graduated so they weren't in trouble now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all! I am a newly graduated, newly licensed pharmacist, but I have been a little bit down in the dumps with the job market. I applied to residency (phase I and II) and did not match. Starting after Phase I in March, I also began looking for and applying for jobs. I have applied to over 50 positions, interviewed for one, and was not selected. When asking for feedback after residency interviews and with my mentors, I keep hearing that they are looking for candidates with 'more experience,' and if I applied again in a year, I would be a great candidate. So, my question today is how do I get this experience, especially good quality experience? I am looking for a position that will take the time to not only train me at their location but also invest in my learning as a new pharmacist. Thank you all! I look forward to any advice you have to offer!

So...... Did you work during pharmacy school? Or was World of Warcraft too alluring?

Reactions: 2 users
You have to relocate. Networking puts you out there but it's a hit or miss.

Don’t be down, you’re not alone. Develop plan A,B,C,D and E. Write it down on paper. Start studying for a different state license or taking classes for a different career. If it makes you feel better, I applied to almost 300 positions in 2011. I had a phone interview that I didn’t do well in and an in person interview that I got because I said I could speak Spanish (I knew a little and impressed in interview) I’ve since then moved to another state, but this state is saturated now too.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone! Thank you so much for all the advice!

To many of your questions, the answer is yes! I did have a job before and during pharmacy school in a hospital (about 20 hours per week). I would like to think my network is pretty expansive, but my issue is most people that I would be willing to ask for help will write my recommendation letter all day, but their organization only hires residency trained individuals. I do understand there is always more people to meet and more networking I can do, so I will continue to work on that.

Relocation is the answer I am afraid of. I just got engaged and am really trying to find work within driving distance of my fiance, but that is looking less and less likely.

Reactions: 1 user

Ok good... I thought you were one of “those guys” at first. So, I would recommend to broaden your options... Start looking for retail jobs and consider relocation. Retail does not need to be a dead end. Retail can be a stepping stone for a more desirable job in the future. I started as a retail PIC for a while and then I transitioned over into a very desirable clinical focused job. I used retail as a stepping stone and I felt great about it. A pharmacist is a tool for a retail chain, so I didn’t mind using them as a tool.

Don’t just blindly send out applications. Go and talk to people in person

To many of your questions, the answer is yes! I did have a job before and during pharmacy school in a hospital (about 20 hours per week). I would like to think my network is pretty expansive, but my issue is most people that I would be willing to ask for help will write my recommendation letter all day, but their organization only hires residency trained individuals. I do understand there is always more people to meet and more networking I can do, so I will continue to work on that.

Relocation is the answer I am afraid of. I just got engaged and am really trying to find work within driving distance of my fiance, but that is looking less and less likely.

Did the hospital you worked for not have a residency program? It is unfortunate that you didn't get matched but you should have had backup plans lined up if you were aware of the job market while in school. I would continue networking and reach out to your previous employers and try to maybe land a per diem position at least in the meantime.
As others have already mentioned, relocating should always be part of your plans... It is difficult enough finding a job but to find a job in a specific area where you live is even more difficult.

When a place that did not extend you an offer gives you an explanation, you should take it with a grain of salt. More experience definitely helps in general, but what you're really asking is how to get your foot in the door for that first experience. If you got an interview, chances are that they knew you didn't have enough experience when you walked into the room but had enough of an open mind to see what you can offer. The real question is what common trends can you pick up from your interviews that show how you come off. How well prepared are you for questions, do you provide good examples, do you come off as a go-getter or as laidback, do you come off as someone who can handle ambiguity or do you need someone to provide a lot of direction, do you show high self-motivation or look like you're ok with just doing the job description satisfactorily, do you look decisive or hesitant, do you come of as a someone inflexible or can you adapt to difficult people/situations, do show the savvy to influence and negotiate with people giving you pushback or not. Experience eventually helps you develop all these skills but figure out how you're portraying yourself here and now.

I think that acquiring experience as a licensed pharmacist has similarities with acquiring experience as a student or intern. Take what you can get and try what interests you. If it's retail, inquire with local independent pharmacies or owners and explain your situation and be honest. You may probably be working for free as a "pseudo-volunteer" but that's the price of getting your foot in the door. If it's a clinical, find a teaching hospital and inquire there as well. You may even have friends or preceptors that can help you out, and it doesn't hurt to ask. Be creative and positive. Good luck!

I think that acquiring experience as a licensed pharmacist has similarities with acquiring experience as a student or intern. Take what you can get and try what interests you. If it's retail, inquire with local independent pharmacies or owners and explain your situation and be honest. You may probably be working for free as a "pseudo-volunteer" but that's the price of getting your foot in the door. If it's a clinical, find a teaching hospital and inquire there as well. You may even have friends or preceptors that can help you out, and it doesn't hurt to ask. Be creative and positive. Good luck!

I detest the idea of working for free since it only cheapens our profession and sets even lower salaries as the new normal. Why would employers even need to hire pharmacists for pay when some are willing to work for free?

People will still do it anyway because they’re $200k+ in debt and desperate for anything.

Reactions: 1 user

Why would they only write LOR for jobs at their own institutions?

Have you posted on LinkedIn? Follow recruiters on there, they'll post jobs. Search for pharmacy recruiters. Also don't say you are looking for someone to invest in your development; it's a seller's market. You need to figure out what you can bring to a job, not vice versa. Ideally it's a two way street but I would tread lightly in an interview situation. You're not necessarily looking for your dream job right now.

Well, this is why I am never a fan of residencies. I am graduating next year btw.
You can work as hard as you can during pharmacy school by working as a tech. I have talked to many upper years about this. But it seems to me that for some hospitals, they might already make up their minds before your interview even started.
maybe it's time to try retail or get out?

You need to get a job but can't because you don't have experience. You can't get experience because you can't get a job. One hell of a catch 22. I can't believe anything else is holding you back as your license is nice, shiny and new.

This speaks to just how bad the job market is for pharmacists- something many aren't picking up on as pharmacy students working as technicians- not surprising. When there was a shortage employers would hire anyone meeting the minimum eligibility otherwise someone else would hire them. Now that worry is gone and employers can take their time picking just the right candidate.

Of the aforementioned suggestions I think the best one is networking. If someone you know, who is working, recommends you to the same employer it can give you a huge advantage. Other job hunting strategies is to seek out undesirable employers, undesirable locations but even these are tight. One strategy that might work is cold calling pharmacies and selling yourself to the hiring manager. You may also find a job at a business that exercises ignorance and believes only their way matters so you don't need experience.

Work for free- how ridiculous. I believe that the market is only going to get worse. I would be prepared with plan b. An endless job search is devoid of commonsense.