How do I get to know my biology 101 professor in a class of 150 students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alexfoleyc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do I get to know my biology 101 professor individually in a class of 150 students? I don't want to be that annoying person who sits in the front and asks thousands nonsensical questions in order to get attention. I do want my prof to know me as a person. How do i do it? I attended discussion sessions, but they are taught by TAs.

Members don't see this ad.

office hours

Take his spouse out to lunch...

Members don't see this ad :)
That is all you had in your Bio Class? I had over 1800 in our class! It was an huge room! It was all about going to the TA sessions.

Check on your university's website to see what your prof's research interests are. Maybe he/she has some ongoing projects that you could help out with, or at least it would give you more things to talk about during office hours...

I had a microbiology class off about 150. I knew the professor beforehand from a smaller class. However, some of my friends in the class had never had him. However, by the end of the semester he knew several of them well enough to know their first names along with other "random" facts. How'd they do it?

1. They went to office hours when they had questions.
2. They sat in the front of the lecture hall.
3. They laughed at his "lame" jokes. (He called himself an aminoacyl.)
4. They answered questions when posed to the class.
5. They paid attention.

Being in a large class is not the kiss of death. You just have to show interest. Don't put up a facade though, professors will see through it.

How do I get to know my biology 101 professor individually in a class of 150 students? I don't want to be that annoying person who sits in the front and asks thousands nonsensical questions in order to get attention. I do want my prof to know me as a person. How do i do it? I attended discussion sessions, but they are taught by TAs.

comme on, that's simple.

1) sit in the front row

2) become a straight hard core gunner

3) office hours

It's a pain in the azz and really gay, but you just gotta go to office hours and act like you dont get something, or just want clarification for something. I have seriously never gone to office hours for a teacher i was not attempting to get a letter from because it's a waste of time. But, you gotta do what you gotta do and office hours are your best hope.

It would probably be easier if you chose a professor for a smaller class though, like an upper level or graduate level class.

You can't, take an upper level bio class with fewer than 20 people in it and get a recommendation from that professor. If you are not a bio major realize that many medical schools now require an upper level biochemistry and/or cell biology credit(s) regardless.
-Roy

if your ta knows u better u can get a letter from them and have your prof cosign it or just use the ta's letter w/o a cosign.

another option is to just take a smaller class with the prof or get in on their research/ something they are doing out of class that interests you.

do NOT become the annoying prick in the front row who disrupts class 15x in a 50min lecture because you want to suck up/ be the center of attention. thanks.

You can't, take an upper level bio class with fewer than 20 people in it and get a recommendation from that professor. If you are not a bio major realize that many medical schools now require an upper level biochemistry and/or cell biology credit(s) regardless.
-Roy
They do not. Only a few schools may require biochemistry. The credentials for medical school are still Orgo/Gen Chem/Physics/General Bio. More schools are requesting calculus, English, and even some biochemistry but not many request biochemistry as a required admissions credential. You also don't need to take an upper level class to get a recommendation letter. The microbiology professor I talked about above taught me in a class of 150 and also in my biology class of 100 (went to 60 second semester) and he knew me well. I provided him with a resume, personal statement, and transcript and did everything I said above and it worked out fine.

If your school has honors classes, that can be good. I'm in honors cell biology and we meet with the regular class and also separately once a week (we have a different prof for the one time a week meeting). The regular class is 150-200 people and there's really no way I can get to know that prof personally. However, in the honors special section that meets once a week, there are seven of us and the prof, so he knows all of us quite well.

start showing up to class naked...some dude at Berkley was doing this last semester i believe, im sure he made a lasting impression. the funny part of the story is that the school wasn't able to find a code about going to class in your birthday suit so he got to strut around naked for a week or two

start showing up to class naked...some dude at Berkley was doing this last semester i believe, im sure he made a lasting impression. the funny part of the story is that the school wasn't able to find a code about going to class in your birthday suit so he got to strut around naked for a week or two

I'm pretty sure the US Government has something for going anywhere in that kind of birthday suit...

most of us don't go to hippie schools so that is not applicable :rolleyes:

I think the first thing to concentrate on is to do well in the class. Then introduce yourself and all that.

But try to do well in the class first.

Man, you are complaining how to network with your professor in a class of 150? My smallest biology class had 400 ppl.

It was actually during the early 90s, and he committed suicide in jail a couple of years ago.