How do I keep track??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oatmeal0322

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone, who is paid on collections, keeps track of which patients have paid? I recently started in private practice, love the office, and am paid on collection (not super excited about it and I tried to negotiate to productions, but alas...) Anyone else? Any tips for how to keep track of who has paid??

Members don't see this ad.

Are you saying you do not have access to the "books" at this practice?

If you are being paid based on collections you had better have free and total access to the financial records of the office.
If you do not know how the financial recording system works at this office, you had better learn.

If the boss will not open the books for you...
Hit The Road Soon!

You will need to educate yourself on the offices practice management software (pms). In my office with the software we use you'll get a daily copy of your producer day sheet ( lists what you did daily) a copy of the payment journal (lists what was paid and to whom it was applied) and adjustment journal (lists any alterations to fees and payments). Assuming no one is trying to take advantage of you, all you have to do is make sure the charges and payments are entered properly.

Another area of concern is with prepayments and discounts i.e. do you receive immediate credit for prepayments or are they dispersed as you perform the treatment? How do these transactions appear in the pms?

Make sure the owner/office manager/ payroll person goes over these with you until you understand and are comfortable with where the numbers are coming from and going to.

thanks for your help! I do have access to the books and am given a "day sheet" at the end of each day which lists my procedures and what was collected that day, and what was turned into insurance. Is there a way to keep track of which patients still owe money though? or should I just let the office manager handle that for me and trust that she is paying me what is collected (cash or insurance payments) for previous procedure?